Dark Blood Reviews

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Jul 31, 2017

Apparently the only reason anyone can find for watching this is the fact that it is River Phoenix' final film, since it's not only incomplete but mainly sterile and forgettable, unable to be tense or sexy as a provocative thriller and with some serious racist and sexist undertones.

• Feb 07, 2017

This film was a long time coming. I'd been waiting for it since 1993. The film suffers as a result of the untimely death of its star, River Phoenix, but this mostly finished film still has enough in it to warrant a viewing from fans. I am glad that it was finally edited and finished as much as it could be.

• Jan 24, 2015

It`s story about loneliness,isolatio and the suffering that comes with it.River`s performance is that good that you find yourself rooting for the bad gay and hoping that his charactor will find a light at the end of his tunnel.The main scenes are missing and they are narrated by the director but it`s like reading the book you create your own scenes the way you want them to be,this brings even more sadness and eternal feeling that something is missing and that something will never be finished.Sound and photograhpy is incredible in this movie,the music is so haunting and complements the feeling of the movie perfectly.This move deserves to be seen it`s totally different experience.It is far more better then the movies that are coming out these days.

• Jan 29, 2014

Interesting. Interesting isn't always the best word to describe something but in the case of this movie I believe it is most fitting. Dark Blood was filmed in 1993 and never completed because of the untimely death of its young star, River Phoenix (My Own Private Idaho), and the emotional connections its director George Sluizer (The Vanishing) had with the late star. As Sluizer got sick later in life, he decided that the world should see River's last filmed moments and completed the film with his own voice-over narration of the movie's incomplete scenes. This makes the film feel oddly incomplete but also wholly complete at the same time ... it is rather intriguing as it gives the film a whole new, never-before-felt tone of its own. It is the story of a young widower claiming to be part Hopi (Phoenix) who escapes to the desert to await the End Times but his peaceful existence becomes disrupted by a Hollywood couple whose car breaks down near his abode. The boy takes a liking to the flirty female (Judy Davis - Husbands and Wives) but him and the guy (Jonathan Pryce - Brazil) don't see eye-to-eye. As the boy's sanity seems to waver and unravel, he (somewhat) holds the couple hostage in the desert as he believes she has been brought to him to fulfill some kind of a Hopi destiny. Had the film been released years ago ... it would have been forgotten; but it is now a curious oddity ... that I rather liked. It is a tragic story for more than one reason. Phoenix was a talent ... and it is evident here and his loss was a sad one. Some people aren't necessarily meant to be fully understood ... like Boy/Phoenix himself and we are to appreciate what we get to see and know. Again ... interesting.

• Oct 16, 2013

Good acting. Visually appealing. Too bad I can't say the same about the storyline. Farewell River.

• Aug 22, 2013

This is an interesting film. It's not a brilliant story but it's heavy, original and River Phoenix's character rocks it. He's the biggest star in Dark Blood and not because he died before the end of the shooting. He's stunning as a lonely and disturbed young man who lives in the desert. Jonathan Price and Judi Davis also give powerful performances but Phoenix's scenes are the best here. It's hard to watch it knowing that this talented actor passed away but it's a great way to say goodbye again.

• Jun 06, 2013

What, in my mind, made this story so fascinating was its symbolism. The film, in short, symbolizes the white man's treatment of the Native Americans. This is something I feel some viewers, unfortunately, miss. If you view the film in that context, it becomes much more powerful.

• Feb 17, 2013

The unfinished movie premiered at the Berlinale. A visually stunning, existentialist 'Kammerspiel' that is both interesting in itself and because of it's own tragic history. Missing footage is cleverly bridged by Sluizer's voice-over

• Sep 28, 2012