Dark Blue World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Blue World Reviews

June 19, 2017
Really good war movie.
December 7, 2012
Could be interesting depending on historical accuracies...
September 24, 2012
This small budget film soars above Pearl Harbor, both films share a similar love triangle story, Dark Blue World has a realism and a gritty atmosphere that's void in Pearl Harbor.
July 29, 2012
Slow and contemplative, the love story drives this war film.
May 14, 2012
Loved It. My Grandad Fought In World War Two & Held Some Similiarities In His Stories (Rarely Told) About His Experiences As A Pilot Taken On By The English To Fight For His Homeland..Which He Never Return To. Hrmm.
November 10, 2011
It is pretty much the same movie as Pearl Harbor and it tries to cram in too many emotional urges into one film.
August 5, 2011
Pearl Harbor without the product placements, without the Hollywood bombast, and certainly without the $100-million-plus budget -- and the better for it.
Shrewlord
January 4, 2011
A Czech film about Czech fighter pilots flying for the R.A.F in world war two, the immediate build up and the aftermath. I found it very interesting to see this inspiring and also tragic tale from a Czech perspective. Fans of war films will obviously like it but there's a great deal here of a human and historical nature to fulfil a wider appeal too.
½ October 6, 2010
Well unfortunately for the 2001 film "Pearl Harbor", I think I have found a film that beat it in being more engaging and more dramatic, despite a less-popcorn movie feel, and the non-100 million dollar budget!
!!
Dark Blue World, or (Tmavomodry svet), isn't going to win you with high priced action scenes and effects, but it will get you with a lucid story line, that is drenched in heartfelt dialouge and makes you feel pride.

So what about the acting? Well of course this film is forgien and includes both Czech and English dialouge, but you can still really feel that they know what they are doing on screen and are just as good as our Hollywood counterparts, and maybe , especcialy in this film, maybe even better then some of them.

The score was rather impressive , although it wasn't as good I expected, but rather still as good as I was hoping. It really meshed well in the riht action scenes, mellowing out when it was a really good time for it to slow down.

Yes, somehow this film kept me thouroghly enganged throughout, and I rather found this film as a little gem for my collection. I am not sure why, but this film is a film in which you neer hear of it, but when you do, you can't stop not hearing about it, from yourself!
August 25, 2010

The score was rather impressive , although it wasn't as good I expected, but rather still as good as I was hoping. It really meshed well in the right action scenes, mellowing out when it was a really good time for it to slow down.

Yes, somehow this film kept me thouroghly enganged throughout, and I rather found this film as a little gem for my collection. I am not sure why, but this film is a film in which you never hear of it, but when you do, you can't stop not hearing about it, from yourself!
½ March 23, 2010
Another kinda sour European WWII movie.
½ February 27, 2010
Forget Pearl Harbor. This is the true aerial action story of 2001. Its great acting and fine action scenes create a truly masterful film.
½ February 14, 2010
A fine film that shows that more than just the US and the UK forces played a part in WW2. A lovely story that goes a long way to show how people coped during such an aweful time. Even the heroes are show more as humans and most movies dare to protray. The film also has some sublime visual effects that go largely unnoticed - the sign of good story telling being backed my good post work.
flixsterman
December 13, 2009
Compelling and well crafted movie that tells the little-known true story of heroic pilots for whom WWII never really ended.

Krystof Hádek is outstanding, I continue to be impressed with the quality of Czech actors and films.
October 12, 2009
½ September 4, 2009
Every body want to love some body during stressed times.
August 20, 2009
Interesting WW II tale with real and not real flying scenes, a bit of Czech history, a love triangle or two, involving the same guy in two of them. What does that make? Still 2 triangles connected at a single vertex? Comments afterwords were not as formulaic as most films. Negative things are said. Fun to see Charles Dance in this role remembering The Jewel in the Crown when Sarah was 4, Dan 1. And Ms. Marple (Geraldine McEwan) as an English teacher for the Czech pilots.
July 31, 2009
This film tells the story of a small band of ex-patriot Czech pilots that during the opening stages of WW2 escape to Britain where they offer their flying skills to the Royal Air Force.

From this point we have a rather unfortunate love (adultery) story, peppered with excellent but brief aerial dog-fight scenes between the venerable Supermarine Spitfire and the various aircraft of the German Luftwaffe.

The dialogue of the characters, while entertaining in places, did lack maturity for the most part which took away from the gravity of the story, and the grasp of the weight of duty that was upon the shoulders of these heroic men.

The film was worth a look; rather like a quaint antique shop in a small country town- there may be some little trinkets to the story that give unexpected delight and interest, but perhaps you may pass through without making a purchase.
½ June 16, 2009
This is a fantastic film, I just loved it from beginning to end. Watch it over and over!