Dark Corners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Corners Reviews

September 14, 2015
My mom warned me about movies like this.....horrible confusing pieces of junk.
December 15, 2013
filming is good, acting not bad. story is weak. the flow is all over the place. however for a b film I guess its worth watching once.
August 30, 2013
What the fuck was this? It made absolutely no sense, something about a woman being chased by creatures, but the plot goes between scenes that will make your head spin from confusion. The only memorable part is a morgue worker comparing breaking a dead guy's dick to breaking a carrot.
March 9, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
½ March 1, 2013
A lame, 'girl cursed with nightmares' movie or...
*spoiler*?
A serial killer's hell, reliving his and his last victims nightmares?
Idk.
Wasn't scary either way
January 22, 2013
If not for Thora Birch this movie may have been intolerable. Sound effects were nicely done though.
January 2, 2013
Anything with Thora in it is worth the time to watch
September 28, 2012
Dark Corners wants so much to be a David Lynch flim like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, or Inland Empire, but it is not willing to either completely go off the rails or adopt an artful aesthetic. Therefore, it just becomes a somewhat tedious exercise in psychological world swapping with a twist ending that will surprise few people. Moderately entertaining, Dark Corners is still not as clever as it thinks it is.
August 22, 2012
Thora Birch stars in Dark Corners about woman who can't escape her bad dreams. The line begins to blur between reality and the horror that lives in her mind, making everyone wonder what's really happening.
I had mixed reviews about the whole movie, because in the beginning it starts off so strong but the 'surprise ending' wasn't just confusing it was really bogus.
August 15, 2012
Thora Birch is a good actress. She was stunning in Ghost World and American Beauty and even though The Hole wasn't the best horror movie in the world, it was at least better than this mis-guided psychological thriller with a hefty dose of gore lumped upon it.
Birch has duel roles as two girls, one blonde, one dark, who seem to dream of each other. She goes to see shady doctor Toby Stephens who attempts to put a stop to her nightmares of a serial killer currently doing the rounds, so that she can concentrate on getting pregnant via IVF.
The story moves back and forth between the two Thora's and some of it very well shot and her performance is markedly different between her two personas. That's just about all that is good about Dark Corners.
Elsewhere the film takes advantage of the fact that dark haired Thora just happens to work at an undertakers to throw in some gory moments. Toby Stephens seems to be doing some sort of feeble Hugh Grant impression while the endless scenes of weirdos of the bus wearing funny clothes add nothing and are never explained.
Director Ray Gower shows off some skill with his use of lighting and some extreme close ups which generate a sense of not knowing what is real and what is not but we're all waiting for the big twist to come along and see just exactly how this multi-stranded story fits together and which of the Thora's might be the real one.
It doesn't happen. The ending has been described as open to interpretation but isn't that just a fancy way of saying it doesn't make sense. The climax is quick and unsatisfying leaving the film on a very frustrating note.
Thora Birch is still a fine actress and she is the only thing that really holds this film together and stops it from being a total disaster but even she can't save something with so many holes in it that it was bound to sink from the start.
July 27, 2012
Raises more questions than it gives answers to, but nonetheless well shot, and well acted by Thora Birch.
May 21, 2012
Meandering, lacking in discernible plot, and really a waste of Thora Birch and an otherwise potentially good story (if they had built one around the basic idea instead of just spackling together a bunch of scenes).
½ April 26, 2012
The idea behind this movie is original, but the movie itself is flawed. The end didnt have an impact on me. Good for a 1 time watch on a rainy day if you like strange and weird atmosphere.
March 5, 2012
Boring. Boring. Some blood, then back to being boring again. The end.
February 1, 2012
This was a strange thinking thriller that won't be for everybody. The story was differant and it was close to a b movie.
What I did like about it was the contrast between the two sides of it and the differences and similarities between them.
The ending wasn't the greatest but it did make sense.
January 8, 2012
A psychological thriller with an unusual premise. While the story was uneven at times (I'll forgive the first time director for that), I really liked how it developed slowly and in the end it turned out not quite what it seemed. The visuals were very well done, and there's also quite a bit of dark humor added for good measure.
½ December 18, 2011
This movie was interesting. Thora Birch always does a great job, which is why the fact that she continues to pick crappy horror movie parts is beyond me. Dark Corners is a step up from some of the other ones she's done, however. It has a unique concept, nightmares blending with reality, who is the "real" person, etc. So often though potential (i.e. good script and actors) just doesn't become what it should. It bounces back and forth a lot, and relies a bit too much on the viewer understanding what's going on, when that isn't always the case. That being said, it was legitimately entertaining and kept me guessing so that I made it all the way to the end. Glad I watched it, but I probably won't be watching it again.
December 2, 2011
Cofusing but interesting.....leaves you with many questions at the end but feels like that is the way it should be.
October 16, 2011
So what if it "misses" in a few areas. You follow along and try to figure out the "realities" within the movie. Creepy and keeps you interested. The movie to some (yeah me) is somewhere between making actual sense and being totally confusing. It's a pretty good "trailer" too!
September 19, 2011
So bad its good. A movie with a plot so muddled it makes your head spin. The randomness is entertaining but it really keeps the movie from going anywhere. Did a woman write this? Anchor Bay Entertainment. So ironic for a movie that sinks so far down the shitter. Although I have seen WAY worse then this.