Dark Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Country Reviews

May 31, 2015
50's noir style thriller set in current day. Very interesting, though I admit to having to read spoilers to get the ending.
½ December 20, 2014
Promising and eventually turning to pure crap
½ May 24, 2014
Another Highway to Hell experience--Certainly has its entertainment value!!
NaWia
½ September 2, 2013
this was a totally waste of time. It made no sense at all.
I like road Movies, I found the Movie reeker was much better, I can even highly recommend the Movie Reeker.

True to a user comment
Thomas Jane punishes himself as both director and star
August 20, 2013
Interesting and thrilling and wanting more! It was initially a bit weird and boring but as the story revealed itself it was very captivating. Interesting way to present the story.
July 21, 2013
I really liked this movie. A rare pleasant surprise off ondemand.
July 4, 2013
Dark Country (2009) -- [4.5] -- While traveling through the desert, newlyweds pick up a car-wreck survivor who plunges them into a night of suspicion and suspense. Thomas Jane ("The Mist," "Hung") makes his directorial debut with "Dark Country." On one hand, I admire his attempt to blend film noir with comic book aesthetics, but the movie relies on constant green-screen work that's poorly executed. The script by Tab Murphy is well constructed, but I feel like we've probably seen a few episodes of "The Twilight Zone" or "Tales from the Darkside" that feature the same general concept that "Dark Country" hangs its hat on. And it's always disappointing when you guess the big twist ending twenty minutes into the movie. Good performances by Jane and Lauren German as the newlyweds, though. The best scene in the movie is an early one in which the two turn the headlights off and floor it to ninety while he fingers her to orgasm.
½ June 26, 2013
It is simply impossible to share the director's vision here. I thought I was onto something two or three times but, sadly, no. No idea what was going on. Slight credit for the monumental effort put forth to communicate something - but I was left frustrated at my own choice to watch more than 15 minutes.
May 9, 2013
Dafuq did I just watch?
January 25, 2013
Way underrated, but this comes from a Thomas Jane fan. Love the graphic novel.
½ January 8, 2013
Very film-noir with nods to the Twilight Zone style. Definitely worth a watch for fans of the old-school psychological thrillers, despite its flaws. Still a creepy good time.
½ January 2, 2013
Got a bit of romance, comedy, not much horror. I'm just kind of left wanting more or less, like not at all?
½ October 19, 2012
I can't explain it. I really liked this.
½ September 16, 2012
The incompetence of the movie almost make it worth seeing, and gives it a sort of old fashioned Twilight Zone feel to it, but the ending made no sense and kind of pissed me off. Still, I do appreciate the movie for what it was trying to do and I can give it a marginal recommendation for those curious enough.
September 3, 2012
If I lay my hand on the writer and the director of this shit .. God Help Me
May 31, 2012
I'm a big fan of all of Thomas Jane's work - I don't care what anyone says. Just found out that he actually directed this gem, so I had to check it out.
April 10, 2012
I enjoyed this movie. It felt like it should have been one of those quick horror shorts that was stretched into a whole movie. Though the movie didn't get boring its whole story and premise could have been reduced without any loss.
½ March 21, 2012
A dark like Groundhogs day sort of film.
March 18, 2012
Twilight zone wannabe is harmless fun
February 20, 2012
Jane's directorial debut has its allure but your too busy cringing at the poor green screen work and blatantly cheap video format.