The Dark Crystal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Crystal Reviews

October 19, 2017
I would be willing to bet big money that this film came from Jim Henson's & Frank Oz's desire to do a more darker, less regimented work with puppetry & break away from Sesame St/Muppets scene.

A very odd & creepy fantasy film about a fantasy world in chaos since the Dark Crystal is a held by a vicious & vile race & the most unlikely heroes rise to the challenge to obtain the crystal.

Some of the creepiest puppets ever put to the screen & be surprising if kids got into it, I assume the Dungeons & Dragons crew would get right into this. Quite an unusual film indeed.
½ August 14, 2017
The Dark Crystal

Pros:
- Good Voice Acting

- Beautiful Visuals

- Magnificent Script

- Fantastic Special Effects

- Spectacular Puppetry

- Very Imaginative World filled with creatively made creatures

- Memorable Characters

- Great Musical Score

- Terrific Pacing

Cons:
- The story doesn't have the same kind of epic scale and weight as more recent fantasy movies/tv shows

Overall Grade: A- (9/10)
August 10, 2017
amazing grew up with the dark Chrystal have it on vhs as well as dvd even have the book and kids book amazing movie
June 8, 2017
Classic Henson Gold :D
May 26, 2017
Amazing film that is underated, with a great story, Great Screenplay by David Odell, and amazing characters in this beautiful world!!!
May 24, 2017
I love this movie, flaws, cliches and all. The puppetry is excellent; the visuals are dark and striking, with a story just a dark and epic to match; the world is interesting and it is certainly unique amongst fantasy films. I would recommend it, especially considering the upcoming netflix series.
May 22, 2017
Looks nice lots of plot holes m9. Butthole in your face cum on me.
May 18, 2017
While the world of The Dark Crystal is interesting the writing is weak and the puppeteer work is not some of Jim Henson's best.
½ May 5, 2017
Another of those "had to have watched it as a kid to fully appreciate it" films. Sure, some great puppetry, but the film's nowhere near as good as the Muppets or Labyrinth. Very tired plot, heaps of gibberish and shouting (especially from the vulture-things) and all too cliched, with no real humour/wit/fun.
½ April 16, 2017
Ouch, this was good when I was younger. Seems very dated now. I imagine the special effects were pretty cutting edge in the 80's. Yikes!
March 15, 2017
Jim Henson takes a simple story and revs it up with spooky, Star Wars-inspired visuals that will haunt your nightmares, and likeable characters. In my opinion, it is one of his greatest works.
December 12, 2016
Fantasy, Animations, Live Action, Imagination. What isn't to love. An epic time tested and classic film. One of my favorite movies of all time. TheaterViewQualified. PersonalCollectionQualified.
December 9, 2016
I'm sure I saw this several times when I was younger, and I also could have sworn it was a lot more entertaining then. Granted, I may (arguably) not have the brain of a child anymore but I didn't feel the story was that engrossing now. It's a classic fantasy whereby the land is separated into good and bad, and our couple of 'Gelfling' heroes are the only hope of ensuring that evil doesn't reign the world forever. We all know it won't but it's all about the journey in stopping them. The skeksis are probably the most ugliest villains you'll ever come across, would give small children nightmares, and have the most irritating of voices and sounds. In other words, they're ideal bad asses as you root for them to be defeated. On the other side, the saviour of peace is in the hands of Jen, who is indeed a boy, which doesn't portray him as the butchest of characters I know. Good job he has an equally effeminate partner in Kira to help him overcome any danger that may lie ahead. Not very much actually happens to be honest, other than them running away from oversized beetles and a camp skeksis that has been banished. That is until the penultimate scenes when in a frantic finale, they manage to piece the missing shard back into the dark crystal to regain some control over the land. That's not before Kira randomly gets knifed in the back to add an unnecessary act of violence to what I thought was a kids film. Don't worry though, the gods, being grateful for having peace restored, reincarnate her, so you get the happy ever after ending. It's some seriously warped storyline, not surprising when you think the creators are Jim Henson of muppets fame, and Yoda from Star Wars. Nevertheless, it's good to take oneself back to childhood, even if it does burst the imaginary bubble somewhat.
½ November 6, 2016
I wanted to like it more than I did, because there is something mystical about The Dark Crystal. Unfortunately, I didn't really get it and found it increasingly confusing and incomprehensible as it went on. A little too strange as well. (First and only viewing - 11/7/2016)
October 18, 2016
Not much of a plot, but amazing puppetry and sets, a visual feast to behold.
October 17, 2016
It is, perhaps, a better film than Henson's Labyrinth, but it's also less accessible, possessing a nearly uncompromising strangeness that pervades the entire film. But that's also its strength, and the result is often captivating.
½ October 8, 2016
More impressive than interesting. I definitely liked it, but wouldn't care if I never saw it again.
August 11, 2016
A splendid and wondrous adventure movie. Favorite of all time.
½ August 4, 2016
One of my favourite childhood films. While I would've loved it had the film taken more time to explore in depth its universe's mythos and backstories, it still manages to be a great adventure, with a great cast of characters, great visuals and surprisingly dark twisted moments. I just love it.
½ July 10, 2016
January 10 2016 is a day that will be remembered by music fans, as it was the day that Ziggy Stardust left this world. Due to that tragedy I been wanting to revisit "Labyrinth" but finally I got the time to rewatch it, but you can watch "Labyrinth" while ignoring its spiritual brother: The also cult classic "The Dark Crystal".
Normally I write a small synopsis but with this film it would take numerous paragraphs to even explain where this film take place (it takes 10 minutes of narration to explain the world), so let's put is simple. A young elf like creature name Jen is the last of his race (Gelfling) and he is tasked by his dying master to restore a crystal in order to avoid the eternal ruling of the evil vulture looking race, the Skeksis and their Mirelurk looking servants.
Unlike its spiritual brother, "The Dark Crystal" is not a childhood classic for me, as a matter of fact I have never watched this film prior to 2016, so I has more than anxious to learn why this film has achieved cult status, and I was actually kind of impressed. "The Dark Crystal" counts with quite possibly the most creative looking puppets of Jim Hensonīs career, the overall world is like a twisted combination of certain sections of Tolkienīs Middle Earth and Endor, the story is a mashup of the basic premise of "Lord of the Rings" (go to point A with this McGuffin in order to save the world) but the rest is a nightmarish version of a Biblical story, the majority of the voice over work is excellent as each voice feats the character design, themes that covered a varied number of topics, and overall it is pretty damn entertaining which is quite an accomplishment for a film that doesn't have a human presence onscreen. With all that being said, "The Dark Crystal" has numerous problems: The main characters look creepy (they look humanoid but they land into Uncanny Valley territory), the characters are not memorable as they all lack personality, the main characterīs voice acting is just so bland, the few attempts at comedy found within this film don't work at all, the tone is too dark for children (some of the imagery will give your kids nightmares) but too silly for grownups, and it suffers from major pacing issues.
"The Dark Crystal" is a film that lives up to its name as it is a truly dark film for children, but still is an enjoyable and visually mesmerizing film that has its moments. While it is easy to see why "Labyrinth" is more beloved, I would argue that "The Dark Crystal" is a better film as it isn't as 'childish' as the David Bowie film, thus making it more enjoyable for the adult demographic.