The Dark Crystal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Crystal Reviews

½ December 11, 2015
Right in front of the derivative fantasy writing, Jim Henson's mastery direction of puppetry is the utter face of this one-of-a-kind film that followed a fantasy genre prompt with a not-so light turn. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ November 30, 2015
"The Dark Crystal" is one tripped up fantasy film. Maybe it amazed people in 1982, but this film feels very campy and seems like an ideal candidate for Mystery Science Theater 3000. As I watched, I couldn't figure out who it is intended for. It is too dark for children (seriously, the entire thing is like one long nightmare) and I can't see teens or adults taking it seriously. I suppose that Jim Henson must have truly believed that this art form could extend beyond the realm of comedy, but that is the main thing missing from this film. The Muppets work because they provide comical dialogue and slapstick humor. If you put them on stage reading Shakespeare in a serious tone, nobody would watch. Take away the Muppets' jokes, familiarity of their characters and add non-stop disturbing imagery, and you have this film. Not to mention that the story is entirely bizarre and the ending is so obvious that there is nothing to keep you watching. Unless, of course, you are stubborn and looking forward to writing an unflattering movie review once it is done. Henson learned a lesson with "Labyrinth" by adding catchy music and quirky characters to keep it from being too serious, but even that film doesn't seem to appeal to its child audience. I would definitely recommend passing on "The Dark Crystal." If you want to experience the genius of Jim Henson, stick with the Muppets and save your children from this nightmarish puppet show.
November 10, 2015
very cool looking. story is a bit flat.
November 9, 2015
The Dark Crystal is disappointing because the character development is poor, it is lacking in terms of storytelling and the film lacks energy in its execution, but it is visually breathtaking with excellent scenery and terrific puppetry and the world-building is stupendous and the imagination is evident leading to a flawed, but unique movie nonetheless.
November 5, 2015
What? I can't even. I can't even begin to attempt to even. It's nightmare fuel for a fantasies fantasy.
½ October 31, 2015
There are certain films that are so ridiculous that they force you to consider the confines of the medium; The Dark Crystal is certainly one of those films. An earnest, dark fantasy centering around archetypal characters and told entirely with puppets/animatronics, the fact that this exists at all is mind-blowing, and the fact that it works as well as it does is a testament to the imaginative minds of its creators who sublimate their standard hero's quest narrative with gorgeously rendered landscapes and grotesque monsters. The imagery launches what could've been a colossal mistake into the realm of the cult classic, it's dated effects and new-age musings on the interconnectedness of all living things only serve to underline its appeal in that regard.
October 14, 2015
fantastic work from Jim Henson, and a great idea from George Lucas. Its a good story. Amazing effects.
October 13, 2015
One of my all time top 10 favorite childhood movies...it was also great in college, with the help from the herb.
September 30, 2015
Screw the Muppets, this movie (along with 'Labyrinth') is Jim Henson's best work in my eyes. This film still haunts me from my childhood. From funny one-eyed Aughra & adorable Fizzgig to the disturbingly scary Skeksis, I love this dark creepy fantasy world Henson created & wish he'd revisited it before he died, instead of focusing on crappy Sesame Street. Hard to believe this came out in 1982, imagine what it would look like with today's technology which begs the question, why aren't movies like this being made today? Rather sad how children these days would rather watch bright computer graphics than real-life animatronics and are missing out on unique treasures like this.
½ September 6, 2015
Apparently the puppets were designed for this movie before any work had been done on the story itself. It shows. It's a collection of tired fantasy cliches wrapped around a bunch of sketchy and unappealing characters.
July 14, 2015
Despite some heavy-handed exposition and pacing issues, The Dark Crystal remains a stunning example of practical effects and good ole movie magic.
½ June 5, 2015
Una de las pelÝculas que marcˇ mi infancia
June 2, 2015
"Lord of the Rings" meets Jim Henson's creative genius in this underrated fantasy adventure.
½ May 18, 2015
This is about as dark as it gets from the people that also bring you the muppets! It's an adventure with a lot of drama. The story itself is not that invigorating, but the effects and style have stood the test of time and it does not look dated at all.
½ May 15, 2015
Thank goodness for the Labyrinth saving Henson.
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 19, 2015
Jim Henson's most bizarre film, and creepy, but there is something special about this film that still holds up!
½ April 6, 2015
The puppetry and sets are breathtaking. The only weak link is the final act which fizzles out in comparison to the stunning (and terrifying) start.
½ March 24, 2015
recently re-watched this and I have to say it doesn't hold up very well seems dated.
March 22, 2015
Fantastic puppetry with a charming and well-executed fantasy universe. The voice acting is quite good as well. On the other hand, the story is flat and the characters lack any depth whatsoever. All in all, an entertaining adventure story.