The Dark Crystal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Crystal Reviews

½ May 15, 2015
Thank goodness for the Labyrinth saving Henson.
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 19, 2015
Jim Henson's most bizarre film, and creepy, but there is something special about this film that still holds up!
½ April 6, 2015
The puppetry and sets are breathtaking. The only weak link is the final act which fizzles out in comparison to the stunning (and terrifying) start.
½ March 24, 2015
recently re-watched this and I have to say it doesn't hold up very well seems dated.
March 22, 2015
Fantastic puppetry with a charming and well-executed fantasy universe. The voice acting is quite good as well. On the other hand, the story is flat and the characters lack any depth whatsoever. All in all, an entertaining adventure story.
March 17, 2015
Classic. The puppets are incredible and the story is fun.
March 2, 2015
Love, love, love this film! I can watch it again and again and again! ???
½ February 20, 2015
A fantasy film staple.
February 18, 2015
ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 18, 2015
One of the Greatest Achievements in movie history. With compelling story, beautiful and stunning visuals and very unique creative characters, there seems to be nothing here not to like.
½ February 15, 2015
It's a good movie but I gave it 3 stars because Kira dies and if a child is watching this they would cry for a week and with me I was just shocked when she died then comes back. Again great movie but doesn't seem as a pg movie, it should be pg 13. Love the puppets Jim Henson. And also the puppets are pretty scary and will give the children nightmares and so many people die. Creepy kids movie.
January 29, 2015
Jim Henson's world is vivid and dark, with incredible scenes and a mythic storyline. Full review later.
½ January 1, 2015
I was really expecting/hoping to like this, but I was already waiting for it to be done about 10 minutes in.
December 23, 2014
I haven't seen it for many years, I thought it was scary as a kid.
December 18, 2014
It's "The Lord of the Rings," meets "The Muppets." Amazing movie, with an amazing story, and amazing creature efffects. Jim Henson was simply amazing. My only complaint is that one of bad guys makes a really annoying whining sound. Other than that, everything else about this movie was simply amazing!!
December 13, 2014
Though the visuals are good-looking, The Dark Crystal is nothing but a mash-up of Lord of the Rings and Jim Henson's Muppets.
December 10, 2014
Some of the story elements are clunky, however, The Dark Crystal is one of the rare children's movies that provides kids a chance to understand more complex subject matter, is very sensitive in its depiction of violence, and above all, is a high mark in the world of practical effects. This is a movie adults may enjoy for its artistry (though an understanding of visual effects may be necessary to fully appreciate it).
December 3, 2014
another classic jim Henson movie, it was really good
½ November 26, 2014
Mixed emotions on this one. Great puppet effects and a creative and imaginative world, but lacks a lot in the character department. The main character, Jen, is hardly even a hero and Kira seemingly does more and shows more courage than Jen does. It's a kids movie, so it doesn't need the deepest character development, but Jen is so cardboard boring as a character that it's hard getting invested. That's probably the biggest problem with this movie, which otherwise would be a great movie for kids.