The Dark Crystal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Crystal Reviews

September 30, 2015
Screw the Muppets, this movie (along with 'Labyrinth') is Jim Henson's best work in my eyes. This film still haunts me from my childhood. From funny one-eyed Aughra & adorable Fizzgig to the disturbingly scary Skeksis, I love this dark creepy fantasy world Henson created & wish he'd revisited it before he died, instead of focusing on crappy Sesame Street. Hard to believe this came out in 1982, imagine what it would look like with today's technology which begs the question, why aren't movies like this being made today? Rather sad how children these days would rather watch bright computer graphics than real-life animatronics and are missing out on unique treasures like this.
½ September 6, 2015
Apparently the puppets were designed for this movie before any work had been done on the story itself. It shows. It's a collection of tired fantasy cliches wrapped around a bunch of sketchy and unappealing characters.
July 14, 2015
Despite some heavy-handed exposition and pacing issues, The Dark Crystal remains a stunning example of practical effects and good ole movie magic.
½ June 5, 2015
Una de las pelÝculas que marcˇ mi infancia
June 2, 2015
"Lord of the Rings" meets Jim Henson's creative genius in this underrated fantasy adventure.
½ May 18, 2015
This is about as dark as it gets from the people that also bring you the muppets! It's an adventure with a lot of drama. The story itself is not that invigorating, but the effects and style have stood the test of time and it does not look dated at all.
½ May 15, 2015
Thank goodness for the Labyrinth saving Henson.
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 19, 2015
Jim Henson's most bizarre film, and creepy, but there is something special about this film that still holds up!
½ April 6, 2015
The puppetry and sets are breathtaking. The only weak link is the final act which fizzles out in comparison to the stunning (and terrifying) start.
½ March 24, 2015
recently re-watched this and I have to say it doesn't hold up very well seems dated.
March 22, 2015
Fantastic puppetry with a charming and well-executed fantasy universe. The voice acting is quite good as well. On the other hand, the story is flat and the characters lack any depth whatsoever. All in all, an entertaining adventure story.
March 17, 2015
Classic. The puppets are incredible and the story is fun.
March 2, 2015
Love, love, love this film! I can watch it again and again and again! ­???
½ February 20, 2015
A fantasy film staple.
February 18, 2015
ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 18, 2015
One of the Greatest Achievements in movie history. With compelling story, beautiful and stunning visuals and very unique creative characters, there seems to be nothing here not to like.
½ February 15, 2015
It's a good movie but I gave it 3 stars because Kira dies and if a child is watching this they would cry for a week and with me I was just shocked when she died then comes back. Again great movie but doesn't seem as a pg movie, it should be pg 13. Love the puppets Jim Henson. And also the puppets are pretty scary and will give the children nightmares and so many people die. Creepy kids movie.
January 29, 2015
Jim Henson's world is vivid and dark, with incredible scenes and a mythic storyline. Full review later.
½ January 1, 2015
I was really expecting/hoping to like this, but I was already waiting for it to be done about 10 minutes in.