The Dark Crystal Reviews

• 20h ago

While the effects are dated and the plot seems fairly minimal, The Dark Crystal sees Henson and Oz doing some incredible work in building a gorgeous world with unique characters and a sense of pure wonder, while also delivering some high fantasy entertainment and an exciting adventure that feels epic and charming all at the same time, making this 80's fantasy classic deserving of its reputation.

• 6d ago

With an unusual tone and a 100% imagined world, Jim Henson's dark fantasy may coast on some story conventions in the genre, but is immensely, and hauntingly, intriguing to watch. "Muppets" this ain't!

• Jun 10, 2019

great film for its time. interesting, creative characters, "okay/dull-mediocre" narration but amazing visuals. A beautiful fantasy landscape. worth a watch if you can get past the fact they are puppets that have annoying voices and they can be quite unlikeable with clumsy slow movements. the story itself is very creative

• Jun 08, 2019

I have said it before and I will say it again, movies from our childhoods are not great just because we enjoyed them as kids. Too often we did not know any better and too some having that illusion is a better place to be then to face the truth. The simple truth is that movies like The Dark Crystal really do stink. I know your going to say, but I watched it so much as a dumb kid of course it’s good. Well seven year old you was wrong and so is 45 year old you wrong still. Now that’s not to say that there isn’t things to enjoy because there is but when you start to add things together, all you end up with is a mess. So what is this mess all about? Well here is where the first trouble starts. The story is about a crystal that is spilt in two and from that two different groups are made, one good and one bad. The movie about a journey to try to heal the crystal so that everything will be in harmony. It sounds like it would be an adventure and it is but it is so slow that after a while you start to forget what the point of it is. The next issue has to do with the fact that this is a puppet movie. Now I do not have a problem with the puppets but it just seemed like more time was spent on the look of the muppets and very little time on making anyone act or have a personality that you want to root for. There are fates on the line but everyone comes across so wooden that I didn’t care at all. Those two things killed so much of the overall movie for me because its a shame because what my eyes saw was absolutely amazing. Like I said, it seems like a lot of time was spent on the look of everything. The characters and world that they live in was beautiful. So many great details and it was shot with great style. Sometimes this is enough to over come short falls in a story but there is just too much a gap between the good and the bad to make me want to ever see this movie again. So should you see this movie? I think its good for maybe younger kids and its a good introduction into fantasy movies and world but for most it should be a pass.

• Jun 01, 2019

Please Netflix, please don't do this...

Please Netflix, please don't do this...

• May 24, 2019

How did they do that!? This was my first time watching The Dark Crystal, and guess what? It's a wonderful spectacle.

• Apr 22, 2019

Reviewers claim the film lacks plot material, but they forget the main thing: this is a seventies era New Age spiritual statement. Also the art direction, character design and backgrounds are so elaborate and well produced the film's narrative tends to get overwhelmed. Occasionally odd pacing and completely alien environment makes the film MUCH stranger than anything else Henson or Frank Oz were involved with. Worth seeing, but as often said, the film contains oddly unlikable, unsettling elements that may spook young viewers.

• Apr 19, 2019

Anyone without a sincere interest in 1980s puppetry and animatronics should give this a miss. Otherwise a comically twee plot and near universal vocal over-acting make this wanna-be Hobbit rip-off too infantile for anyone but the thoroughly baked.

• Mar 27, 2019

75. Visual masterpiece. Very beautiful theme song. Very weird and dark, but in a good way and intentionally.

• Mar 04, 2019

Wonderful, dark, and haunting! Love this film!

Wonderful, dark, and haunting! Love this film!