The Dark Crystal Reviews

• Jul 27, 2020

A visually stunning and impressive fantasy tale, combined with Henson and Oz's direction, Henson and Odell's script, the performances of the cast, Jones's score, Morris's cinematography, Kemplen's editing, Lange's production design, Young's set decoration, Froud's costume design, action sequences and visual effects, The Dark Crystal is a true classic of the 1980s and the fantasy genre!!!

• Jul 10, 2020

A sci-fi fantasy cult classic with an imaginative and truly original story, groundbreaking visual effects, and a surprisingly dark tone, and ultimately proves Jim Henson's talent at puppetry and storytelling.

• May 23, 2020

I really enjoyed watching this movie as a little kid. I enjoy it even more now that I am older. I especially enjoy watching the prequel on Amazon. Wonderfully made in puppetry and story.

• Apr 20, 2020

A long time ago on the planet Thra, The Dark Crystal balanced truth and peace in the universe until it was destroyed which lead to the world dividing into two races, the evil Skeksis and the peaceful Mystics. Jen is the last of the Gelfings and has been raised by the Mystics and with his master dying he is sent on a quest to return a missing shard of crystal to The Dark Crystal, therefore fulfilling an ancient prophecy and returning order to the universe before the convergence of the three suns. This film was first released in 1983 and I remember watching it for the first time a few years later on VHS tape and I can honestly say the experience never left me because as a kid it was one of the most terrifying films I have ever seen. Having watched it nearly 30 years later I can confirm it is just as creepy and sinister and gets under your skin. It's the Skeksis that really get to you, I have never seen or heard a more disturbing creation since. It's the Chamerlain character that really freaks me out and that sinister noise he keeps making, he will haunt my dreams until the day I die. Anyhow, enough about my scarred psyche. The film itself still stands out as a great fantasy story. It is of course very much of it's time but it still kept my attention, watching it as an adult. I'm not sure if anyone who didn't grow up with the work of Jim Henson might appreicate it now, they might see it as really naff but it's just a bit of madcap (and scary) escapism. I found this on Netflix and wanted to rewatch it because they have created a follow up tv show, that I believe is a whole lot more CGI reliant so we will see how that holds up.

• Mar 27, 2020

6/10 intriguing due to the technique, not the movie

6/10 intriguing due to the technique, not the movie

• Jan 31, 2020

Good classic Jim Henson puppet movie. I can see where the prequel series was based on it. Several characters were in the prequel.

• Jan 06, 2020

Such atmosphere. You really immerse yourself there. The story itself isn't amazing, not to mention the superficial dialogues. But the world created here is so wonderful and unique, that it is enough for this to be a great viewing experience.

• Jan 04, 2020

Happy I didn't see this movie when it originally opened, might have been on Crack today.

• Dec 29, 2019

It's hard to be objective on this film because it's one that burned itself into my brain as a kid. It wasn't exactly a favorite, but there were parts that made an impression, particularly the scene where the Skeksis exile the Chamberlain and strip him of his clothes kind of freaked me out as a kid, but in general, it was the world building that made an impression. The world of "The Dark Crystal" seems completely thought out, with a past, present, and future, much the same as when audiences were first dropped into the world of Tolkien, Herbert, or Harry Potter, where the authors tell their stories knowing a rich backstory that's only hinted at, which draws the audience into the story even more so. "The Dark Crystal" was made by Jim Henson, so it's filled with puppets, but these puppets are creepy and at times downright scary. The story follows a young Gelfling named Jen, a diminutive elf-like creature, who embarks on a quest to find a missing shard to the magical Dark Crystal, which is the key to bringing back peace, love, and happiness to this strange land. The backstory is a long history between the evil Skeksis and the more peaceful Mystics. Jen is an orphan child raised by the peaceful Mystics and his story here is a classic Joseph Campbell hero's journey (finding supernatural aid, facing temptation, and the eventual return home). The rich fantasy world of "The Dark Crystal" is reminiscent of other fantasy films of this time, such as "Legend" or "Willow," but it's Henson's puppetry and the complete absence of human actors that sets it apart (boy, those weird Skeksie hissing noises and the Chamberlain's weird mewing sound are just unsettling!). The creatures are completely otherworldly, but far more realistic than Kermit or Miss Piggy, and their strangeness adds to the film's magic and ability to sweep the audience away in its story. Admittedly, some of the more muppet-like comic relief supporting characters seem out of place and the film does drag at a few points, "The Dark Crystal" overall delivers a rich fantasy story that's well worth watching and is certainly a world worth revisiting for it's Netflix prequel series (which I still haven't watched yet).

• Dec 20, 2019

This movie is really bad, very 80's this movie aged like milk. I heard about this movie from a book I think was called "100 movies to see before you die", something like that one of those types of movie books/cinema books. The puppets are strange or it could have been from a YouTube video countdown of weird movies to see I forget. I don't forget this movie though lol, once to watch is enough for me with this movie.