Dark Matter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Matter Reviews

April 11, 2011
Great work from Meryl, as always, but otherwise, I didn't care for it.
January 12, 2011
This movie flew under the radar but stars the incomparible Meryl Streep and that is worth the 2 hours.
December 10, 2010
Thanks guys. We needed that. Meryl Streep is such a generous actor. I felt as though she could even make me look good on screen. The title alone got my attention but the story proved more than worthy enough to keep that attention. Dark Matter has just enough science, just enough drama, just enough culture to make it - in my opinion - worthy of a nomination or three. We need more intelligent and contientious movies like this. "Up the bottoms" and two thumbs up.
½ November 19, 2010
I liked this. It was interesting to see how the mind can go from dreams to destruction in a short amount of time. It is based on a similar but true story.
½ October 15, 2010
I was glad to finally see this, and it was quite well done, but I am having second thoughts about my brainwave to suggest it as a film for our grad student diversity committee's film series ;-)
Also, I hope it's no closer to the truth than I think it is...
September 28, 2010
An intriguing failure. Could and should have been so much better.
½ September 8, 2010
The title conceals a dark truth.
August 15, 2010
Totally weird. Why is Meryl Streep in this? And why isn't she in it more? And what was the point of the whole thing? And why didn't I review this six months ago when I watched it and remembered anything about it?
August 8, 2010
Based on a true story.
As a low cost indepedent movie, it is great.
July 19, 2010
I was SHOCKED Meryl Streep and Aiden Quinn found this script captivating enough to actually ACT in. I found the movie UN-interesting and terribly goofy (I don't think it was really meant to be). Most of it was in Chinese w/ English subtitles so it was annoying and had a crappy plot
May 26, 2010
Though I'm not a fan of the cinematography, the editing choices and the overall flow of the movie, this was superb and amazingly. Slow at times, it still managed to hold my attention and really made me feel for the main character despite not being able to fully understand his accent. Heartbreaking, emotional and sadly based on a true story its about madness, culture clash and ego. Overall a very gripping film.
½ May 25, 2010
very terribel, unclear story, slow events, and it had this desperate and sad feeling.
May 20, 2010
Interesting account of actual events concerning a Chinese physics student Liu Xing (Liu Ye) who arrives in the states under the supervision of the great cosmologist professor Jacob Reiser (Aidan Quinn). Soon we are shown the brilliance of Xingâ??s mind and his scientific breakthrough in the study of dark matter. His discovery doesnâ??t sit well with his professor and this leads to an unanticipated wall Xing must try and break down. There was a real nice quality to this film and I was kept interested in where the story was heading. Liu Ye played the lead character extremely well in a totally believable performance. Quinn was his usual self and the university benefactor (Meryl Streep) who befriends Xing gives us a gentle caring performance. All in all a well put together little movie giving us some insight on the events that unfolded.
½ May 11, 2010
A fairly watchable movie that tells the tragic story (that's somewhat based on true events) of an aspiring Chinese student who resorts to a violent shootout after his dreams are blocked by school/campus politics.
½ May 5, 2010
I knew the story when I was 15. At that time, America was only a dream for me. Now I came here, and I totally understand the difficult life that Lu,Gang was facing. But the movie didn't express it well.
April 13, 2010
I think it was a heart felt show had a lot of emotions. I think they could have gave him a better chance .
Harlequin68
½ March 18, 2010
In "Dark Matter," Liu Xing(Liu Ye) has come to the United States from Beijing for his graduate degree under the tutelage of the acclaimed Professor Reiser(Aidan Quinn). In his informal way, he informs his student that he is about the best applicant he has ever had before assigning him to work on his pet cosmology projects, along with other students from China. They hang out together, steal cable and use any excuse to go out, be it church or Pioneer Village. They are all living the American dream. Liu Xing's specific dream includes a blonde wife which he writes back home about.

"Dark Matter" is a wildly uneven movie due somewhat to amateurish directing. The stunt casting robs a lot of the attention from Liu Xing's story but Aidan Quinn is very good.(There is a closeup of his eyes that speaks volumes.) And is this supposed to be a period piece since a lot of the technology looks so out of date? The movie would have been better if it had settled down and took its time detailing its lead character's adjustment to America. Not every setback is the end of the world when they are studying the beginning of the universe. There is some intriguing material about assimilation and I had to wonder if Liu Xing and his colleagues moving to the United States are part of a brain drain. However, there is a lot more pointless emphasis on the insular world of college politics.
March 18, 2010
For the greatest part of this movie, I was just watching without really following. Of course I'm an ignoramus when it comes to Cosmology (or anything science-related for that matter!), and even though the movie has the most simplistic structure, it's hard to follow because it's not intriguing. As it progresses however, it does obtain a pace and plot that's much vivid.

The direction was smartly-handled for someone who's stolen every smart thing about it from other directors. Meryl Streep's participation was what partly saved the movie, since Meryl Streep could even play Spider-man and get an Oscar nomination for it.

The movie "comes together" and starts to make sense as a whole at the end. I sympathized with the guy whose only dream was taken away, and as a resulted reacted the way he did. Strip a man off his dreams and you've left him with nothing - and that's what the movie is about for me, and the reason why I liked it.
March 13, 2010
As obscured as the subject of the movie, the direction has no direction. A big line up of stars that play like a reality social show. The lead role is played like a roller coaster with great and not so great moments. if the intent of the movie is to produce frustration at the inequity of social and academic classes, it works.
March 11, 2010
A film about how brilliance is often times ignored when it cannot be understood.

It fell short in its execution on several accounts. For one, Meryl Streep was more of a tertiary character, and that was disappointing.

For two, it seemed to move too fast, skipping over crucial plot points to focus more on unnecessary dialogue, such as Liu Xing's parents talking about what they've heard about America. There should have been more focus on the rivalry between Liu Xing and Laurence Feng in their attempts to win the praise of their professor Jacob Reiser. Instead, it started out with Xing being Reiser's protege. Then Joanna Silver (Meryl Streep) mentions to her husband that there's a new Chinese student at the school named Feng who was 2nd to Xing at their school in Beijing and that they were rivals there. Then, Feng is suddenly taken under Reiser's wing, and Xing seems to be forgotten about entirely. But we don't see any of the struggle or the emotion of this, which makes the ending come as a complete shock.

But it also seemed to drag in parts that should have moved quickly.

It could have been an excellent movie. The beginning was great. The ending was perfect. But somewhere in between, for a very long period of time, it died, which caused this to be just an okay to good film.