The Mercenaries (Dark of the Sun) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mercenaries (Dark of the Sun) Reviews

½ May 8, 2016
1968 version of Blood Diamond. Very daring with much violence for the 60's. Great movie of greed and redemption.
May 8, 2016
Another lost review by flixster. This film was unusual in its content and setting, but certainly was not great.
½ November 20, 2015
I always wanted to meet a real life mercenary.

A group of special agents led by crazy Captain Curry cut their way through the jungle on a mission to capture $25 million in diamonds. The agents are a group of mercenaries and they fight numerous would be challengers. A member of the group hopes their mission can help his country and people in some way while Captain Curry is only worried about the goal.

"We need him."

Jack Cardiff, director of Intent to Kill, My Geisha, Young Cassidy, The Mutations, Penny Gold, The Girl on a Motorcycle, The Long Ships, and Web of Evidence, delivers Dark of the Sun. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and intense in some sequences. There are some unique situations and characters worth following. The cast delivers solid performances and include Rod Taylor, Jim Brown, Yvette Mimieux, Andre Morrell, Kenneth More, and Calvin Lockhart.

"Engineer, you ready to roll?"

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR this classic since the plot sounded grindhouse good. It was entertaining and a nice jungle action picture in the mold of the original Inglorious Bastards (with Fred Williamson). Overall, this is just above average but worth a viewing.

"I'd do it, but I wouldn't like it."

Grade: B-
½ September 26, 2015
"Dark" gave no insights into the political unrest in the Congo and the characterizations were ludicrous. Hero Taylor is brash, cold and unlikable; Brown is saintly to the point of being unbelievable; Carsten's Nazi depiction is off-the-wall without being funny or campy; while Mimieux has nothing to do but show she's a white woman with blonde hair. It concludes with a bizarre plot devise aimed at making a moral point that frankly escapes me and is too fantastic to believe, anyhow.
September 16, 2015
I believe this film is the first to ever use a chainsaw as a weapon, predating "The Wizard of Gore," "Last House on the Left" and the most infamous chainsaw film, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." The chainsaw fight comes early in the film, despite the chainsaw being prominently featured on the movie poster. Despite that, the mere thought of someone being torn apart by a roaring chainsaw is indicative of the the type of brutality that this film had the audacity to present. On one level, this film is about the atrocities of war, but I more got the feeling that this film was a classy production of an almost grindhouse action flick. Rod Taylor plays a mercenary hired to by a company to retrieve diamonds worth millions in the midst of a civil war in the African Congo. Besides chainsaws, there's wanton murder, sexual assaults, torture and more. This certainly isn't as rough as a Takashi Miike film, but for it's time, it's pretty startling. Directed by ace cinematography Jack Cardiff, who only made a handful of films, this one stands out as something pretty original for it's time. It certainly falls within the men-on-a-mission sub-genre (ALA "The Dirty Dozen" or "Guns of Navarone") but it has a grit that I hadn't seen in many of those films. It's a dated film for sure, but for fans of men-on-a-mission film or people interesting in seeing something that's kind of proto-grindhouse, it's an awfully good flick. Yvette Mimieux and Jim Brown also appear in the film.
August 20, 2015
Pulls few (if any) punches, probably ahead of its time. Plenty of guts but little glory......
July 27, 2014
just another forgettable movie, sorry
½ March 11, 2014
(89%)
A mostly forgotten gem of a film that truly deserves to be more widely seen as it doesn't even have an English region 2 dvd release, which is a travesty owing to the British talent involved. Rod Taylor is perfect playing a tough soldier-of-fortune with a good heart, likewise big Jim Brown as his sidekick and Ken More as the missions alcoholic doctor. If you can get hold of a region 1 copy, which probably won't be cheap, but it will be worth it, as this is one of the best war films ever made, with fantastic direction, gut wrenching tension and brutal action. A theatrical re-release would be a real treat as the film hasn't hardly aged at all.
September 1, 2013
frigging awesome guys on a mission movie. up there with guns of navarone, dirty dozen and where eagles dare
August 27, 2012
Even the commonly available, edited version is great. ...on the lookout for the uncut version...
June 2, 2012
Obscure 1968 action movie showing just how Rod Taylor was one of the best (though sadly forgotten) macho heroes. Men on a mission (featuring a young Jim Brown before the blaxploitation boom) is amazingly savage with a wild man vs chainsaw fight and moments of extreme cruelty. Wasn't aware that studio Hollywood films could go this far before the 70s. Great African locations, camera shots all let down by an uneven script,some bizarre character moments and sloppy editing .
Rod Taylor, I raise my scotch glass to you.
May 4, 2012
In a word, fucking superb. Okay, that's two. Loses half a star for still being truncated, hopefully, one day an extended, uncut version will be unearthed...in a diamond box.
January 27, 2012
good miltary actioner
½ December 22, 2011
Pretty good mercenary movie, based on a Wilbur Smith novel. Certainly better than Wild Geese and Dogs of War. Reasonable plot, good action, well paced. Does get bogged down in empty sentimentality towards the end, but otherwise is fine.

Rod Taylor puts in a convincing performance as the all-action no-nonsense Captain Curry. Good performances all round.
½ August 13, 2011
The Mercenaries' poster (or Dark of the Sun that I saw this under) reeks of 70s exploitation. A no holds barred grindhouse war movie. That's what I expected to see & even if you do get the fight w/ the chainsaw involved this movie has a lot more heart & scruples then the advertisement leads you to believe. Jim Brown is one of the most loyal soldiers Ive seen but he's still cool @ the same time & even our soldier of fortune Rod Taylor find his moral balance...Mostly noted for having some influence on Inglorious Basterds but I don't think I have seen Tarantino's spaghetti war homage enough to find them
June 28, 2011
A brutal and bleak action adventure film that starts off with this Dirty Dozen vibe but soon descends into its own 9th circle of hell where Rod Raylor and Jim Brown's mercenaries butcher their way outta the Congo with a sack of diamonds in tow. Along the way they chainsaw fight ex-Nazis, machine gun a whole lotta natives, and philosophically debate each other. The climactic fisticuffs brawl is the stuff of THEY LIVE legend. VF.
February 6, 2010
Underrated adventure classic is an action-packed African adventure. Strong characters - including an excellent, cynical central performance by Rod Taylor - taut suspense, and explosive action sequences make it great adrenaline-soaked entertainment, but it also takes time to take things deeper. Great Morricone-esque score by Jacques Loussier. A true classic that deserves to be better known.
½ January 25, 2010
Here is a film thats tough as nails and once it ends your inner voice is screaming about how fucking incredible those 100 minutes of your life were just spent. The opening credits alone are worth the price of admission, with a incredible theme composed by Jacques Loussier. As soon as the film was over i had to rewatch those credits just to hear that beautiful piece of music. Taking place during the Simba revolt, Rod Taylor and Jim Brown are hired by the president of the Congo to journey into hostile territory, retrive millions of dollars worth of diamonds and rescue the mostly white population of a isolated village.
Rod Taylor looking every bit of a buff Robin Williams is without a doubt one of the coolest togh guys in a leading mans role. Jim Brown brings sensitivity to his role as Taylors right hand man Ruffalo, who does what he does for the love of his country. Peter Carsen makes your skin crawl as the ex-nazi whos recruited to be the military power to back up Taylor and Browns mission. This is absolutly one of the best Mercenary films ive ever watched. The viloence is still shocking by today standards. This is one fucked up film in that aspect. i can only imagine how people reacted to it when the film first ran in 68.
December 28, 2009
if this is the movie am thinking of,it is soo much better than the Wild Geese. The Wilbur Smith book is incredible!I wonder what kind of books will be written about the exploits of current mercenaries in the Middle east now...Of course when they are unclassified(2071)