Dark Tower Reviews

• Nov 10, 2017

Good, not great. I was mostly entertained

Good, not great. I was mostly entertained

• Nov 25, 2016

I really liked the set-up for this film, with a window washer on a brand new skyscraper in Barcelona fighting some sort of invisible entity and falls to his death, which was wittiness by the building architect, Jenny Agutter, and is investigated by detective Michael Moriarty. The film then unfortunately begins to crawl at a snails pace and never has any real suspense or scares. On the plus side, Moriarty is great as always doing one of his oddball jazzy naturalistic performances. And speaking of music, there was a surprisingly good score by Stacy Widelitz, who is a composer I'd never heard of before. The film's original director was Ken Wiederhorn, who made the cult classic underwater Nazi zombie film "Shock Waves" but who never really made any other good films. Wiederhorn was removed from the film and veteran horror director Freddie Francis (who was also an award winning cinematographer) took over. The tip off that this is probably not a good film is that neigh Wiederhorn or Francis put their name on the film and instead "Ken Barnett" is the credited director. The end product here really just becomes a laughable mess. The film does come to life a bit towards the end when Kevin McCarthy shows up as some sort of psychic to fight the evil entity. McCarthy seems to know exactly what kind of film this is and goes into full ham mode for his performance, which is exactly what this film needed.

• Sep 02, 2015

Most dull and boring ghost story ever. Lame special effects, dragging plot with mediocre drama and so-so ending. Any Night Gallery episode is better than this mess.

• Jan 22, 2013

Run of the mill thriller about a Skyscraper being haunted by the malevolent spirt of the ex-husband of the building's architect. Everyone looks bored...can't say I blame them

• Jan 13, 2013

Jenny Agutter & Michael Moriarty got a free trip to Spain in exchange for this doing this flop & it shows. Just terrible.

• Dec 12, 2012

(**): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img] Unintentionally hilarious at times, but not "fun" enough for me to recommend it. Fair at best.

• Aug 03, 2012

67% "The time has come, I'm ready to spit in theeye of death."-Sergie (Kevin McCarthy) The monster suit was uber hockey. Meachel Moriarty did the Moriarty thing while Jenny looked as if she were on meth. The sinister sounding score was the best part of this stinker.

• Mar 14, 2012

The story is predictable, but I imagine if it were a shorter film it wouldn't be as disappointing as it is as a feature length movie. Full review at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank"href="http://hotdogsinthedark.com/?p=4243">Hot Dogs in the Dark</a>

• Nov 22, 2011

Well I thought this movie was hilarious, but unless you are stoned or share my sense of humor and taste for the ridiculous, you will probably hate it. In fact, I was very annoyed by it at first. I never read the dark tower by Stephen King, but I just kind of assumed it was based on that. I assumed wrong. This made for tv movie(?) was one of the most mediocre and uncompelling things I have seen in a long time in almost every aspect. I was shocked to find out that it was made in 1987. It looked like perhaps 1977. The cheap electronic sound track sounded like something from Dr. Who and that stiff, affected style of acting from the mid to late 70's was present here. I think a movie like coma is WAY more modern than this. Hell - even Airport '77 seems more modern than this. Dark Tower was also obviously made with a very low budget. There is a scene when a window washer falls to his death and you can clearly see a dummy falling. Why do I know it was a dummy? Because its arms and legs bent and swayed every which way as it flew through the air. I'm convinced that someone made it out of used pillows or something. Aside from these things, the script was horrible and so was the plot. There were some nice wide angle shots every once in a while, but aside from that, the camera work did absolutely nothing to help convince the viewer that they were watching even a horror movie and the sense of tension was completely missing. I'm sure this is the director's fault, as is nearly every other flaw in this miserable movie. If you want to roll a nice big fat one and get some good laughs, this movie might be for you. Otherwise skip it.

• Oct 11, 2011

A little too polite to give me chills.

A little too polite to give me chills.