Dark Victory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Victory Reviews

October 13, 2012
Bette Davis regarded this as her favorite film role, and it is easily among her all-time best films. Bette Davis could carry the entire film by herself, but her fellow cast members are no slackers either, with each one of them churning out sublime performances. This film is also a very emotional film, especially the end which Bette Davis plays beautifully. Dark Victory is a superb drama and needs to be seen by any fan of Bette Davis.
October 6, 2012
Not quite classic Bette Davis - I prefer her being a bitch! However, this is a great Hollywood weepie and yet again Ms Davis shows why she's so highly rated as a character actress.
½ September 23, 2012
"I'll have a large order of...PROGNOSIS NEGATIVE!"
Davis was never more vulnerable or got to show off all of her gifts, and her ending scene is weepie heaven.
September 20, 2012
I want to say that this film started the whole "terminal disease = Oscar nominee" trope, considering it's age. And yet, it almost seems formulaic in that respect. Predictable, but still pretty good.
And with a very young Humphrey Bogart (and Ronald Reagan!) to boot!
June 21, 2012
I generally don't go for this type of movie but Bette Davis' performance is absolutely captivating. As a result, I see it quite often.
½ June 17, 2012
"dark victory" is a perfect example of how something depressing can be beautiful, led by a stellar performance from leading lady, bette davis.
January 29, 2012
"I haven't cried yet..." *last 10 minutes* "Oh shit..." I was sobbing. Bette Davis is one of, if not the best, film actress of all time.
January 7, 2012
A great early performance by Bette Davis.
October 5, 2011
note to hf: available at no. bruns. & pway - jfk and ewing.....
½ August 18, 2011
1939 is a great year in movies! A full of life woman (Davis) is living her life wonderfully, but is stopped by some painful headaches. She stops by the hospital and sees a doctor (Brent). He tells her she will be fine, but he later informs her friend (Fitzgerald) that she is dying from a brain tumor and only has a few months to live. Bette Davis was fresh from her win from classic 1938's "Jezebel". It's a great movie, and is most of the time just a teeny bit overlooked than this movie. It shouldn't be. To me, this is a great example of a tearjerker. Since I'm not a crier, nothing came out for me, but certainly it's believable why so many people consider this to be so good. Davis' performance is very very good and should have won an Oscar for this one too (though it was pretty rare to get to Academy Awards two times in a row). Fitzgerald made this the same year she made William Wyler's "Wuthering Heights" which she was nominated for an Oscar for best supporing actress. Though her role might not be as vital or as great as the other one, she certainly does a standup job and proves why she was considered so good. Look out for Humphrey Bogart and Ronald Reagen in early roles by the way! "Dark Victory" is a classic, and certainly adds to 1939's list of best movies
August 18, 2011
Bette Davis is remarkable in this and the best part of the film. She carries the emotional current and her presence makes all the other roles better. We see Bogart and Reagan in small supporting roles and everyone does a solid job. A deep and rather dark theme for the time but it pulls it off delicately while not shirking from the ideals of the story.
August 16, 2011
Total tearjerker. Bette Davis is wonderful as Judith, an heiress with a deadly brain tumor. Good story, and a sad ending. Loved seeing Ronald Regan as a wealthy drunk.
July 27, 2011
A classic plot with classic actors, including HUMPHREY BOGART!
July 4, 2011
Perhaps not so much of a tearjerker as its reputations suggests, Dark Victory is still an emotional and well-acted melodrama with a big heart and sterling performance from Bette Davis. A strong ensemble cast rally around Davis, including supporting turns from Humphrey Bogart and Ronald Reagan, while director Edmund Goulding's well-paced and -executed telling of the tragic story saw the film to a deserved Best Picture nomination.
March 26, 2011
One of my all-time favorites! I love Bette Davis!
March 5, 2011
A Bette Davis classic.
½ January 29, 2011
Another triumphant performance for Davis and one of the five Best Actress nominations she got in a row, a feat still unsurpassed. Like several of her other classic films, the plot easily lends itself to soap opera melodrama, but the able direction and pitch-perfect acting are what makes it transcend this to cinematic masterpiece.

Also, first time I remember seeing a film with Ronald Reagan. That was just a random remark really. Although Geraldine Fitzgerald is completely lost in the emotionally overwhelming performance by Bette Davis, she deserves praise for her portrayal as Davis' best friend, something of a thankless role in this case, doomed to be outshone, and yet she manages to bring something unforgettable to the part, holding her own and even giving the star a bit of serious competition in some scenes.
½ January 11, 2011
A great, touching film - another classic Bette Davis film.
½ January 1, 2011
I'm not entirely sure why, but this movie stressed me out the entire way through. Bette Davis, Geraldine Fitzgerald and Humphrey Bogart were amazing as always, but the plot made me cringe.
November 22, 2010
A fine melodrama, containing a terrific leading performance from Better Davis, that is largely overlooked because of the many other amazing films released in Hollywood's pinnacle year of 1939. In some ways, this film looked to set up the austere-adult driven films of the 1940's, especially when you look at Best Pictures such as Mrs. Miniver and The Lost Weekend and may actually be more important than we realize, a film that bridges decades. There's no faulting the supporting cast either: Geralidine Fitzergerald, George Brent, Ronald Reagan, and even Bogey himself, are all terrific. (Bogart plays so against type, that it takes a few scenes to get used to him.) Beautiful, simple cinematography (the same cinematographer as Gone with the Wind) aid the film, and gives it a simple beauty that adds to the sadness of the story.