Darklight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darklight Reviews

½ October 19, 2015
I don't think I can put how awful this film is into actual words that, when put together, form a coherent and thoughtful review. Can you actually believe that this was intended to be a pilot movie? Like they were actually wanted to get this shit-show picked up as a series. I can't honestly wrap my head around that. Maybe the people involved in the making of this film, from cast and crew, had pretty much given up all hope. This film was aired of the then Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy) about a week before the revived and revamped Battlestar Galactica series started airing. Can you imagine if this had been picked up as a series while BSG was on the air? I think Sci-Fi would've cancelled the series out of pure embarrassment for having such a wonderful television show as the revival BSG even in the same stratosphere as this. The idea isn't a bad one in the conventional sense. Like Lilith, in Jewish myth, being the first wife of Adam, you know, of Adam and Eve fame, but she was cast out as she refused to be seen as lesser to Adam. Lilith, angered by this, then became a beast, demon, whatever you wanna call it, that wanted revenge on those who wronged her. whether it be god or whatever. Pretty cool idea, right? No snarky comments from me, it's a legitimately cool idea. There's this group called the Faith that has been at battle with Lilith throughout the years, centuries even, trying to keep her in control and to keep her from killing others. Again, so far so good. Lilith, after a fight with Shaw, has her memory removed and she then joins the Faith in order to help against this evil scientist, a legit evil scientist, who uses samples of Lilith's DNA in order to become in mortal, then turns into a demon that can transmit a plague that would, eventually, destroy the world. So far so good. I mean we're getting a little goofy and convoluted here with Lilith losing her memory and being placed into a foster home by the same people created to destroy her. Not to mention the evil scientist. But there's still a decent idea to work with here. You'd hope that the film could somehow do something even remotely interesting with this. Well, sadly, you would be wrong. This film is just dreadful. The film is obviously a TV movie, but it just looks so fucking terrible. It's like a direct-to-video film that died on the rental circuit and is aired on your local channel on a Saturday at 2 in the morning because it's the only programming they have. The special effects, even for a 2004 TV film look atrocious. Jurassic Park, a film that came out a full decade earlier, 1993 to be exact, looks better than this. Granted, Jurassic Park had a considerably bigger budget, whereas this film probably got a pittance of that, adjusted for inflation as well, but it's still something that's worth pointing out. The script is even worse, like just has no idea what it's doing and what themes it wants to throw out there. Let's not even talk about the awful dialogue. 'Hey, ugly' is actually used as a legit one-liner. Seriously, it's like a 12-year-old wrote this. It's an incredibly poorly structured and put together film. No idea if the acting is less awful than the writing or if the writing is so bad that it makes solid actors, in theory, look even worse. The less said about the acting, the better. There's literally nothing about this movie that I can say I liked. I mean I liked the fact that I recognize John de Lancie, who played Jane's dad in Breaking Bad. I think de Lancie's character could've been a compelling one with a better writing staff. As it stands, he's just pretty much a villain for no real reason. Just cause I guess. I'm not gonna lower my standards because I knew that this was a TV movie, that's not how it should ever work. This is an awful movie, no matter how you slice it. It's not even entertainingly bad. Like there's the cliche 'giant explosion while I slowly walk away from it without flinching'. But I don't think this film even does it in an ironic fashion. It just seems like they thought that this was actually something cool for a character to do. Breaking Bad also did something similar to this with the really badass twins, you know the ones if you've watched the show, but, obviously, when they did it it was actually cool. This is an absolutely dreadful film. Just terrible stuff and no one should ever watch this, let's just let this fade away into the ether.
May 11, 2014
I thought the movie would make an excellent pilot for a series. I enjoyed the movie but thought it was too hurried.
December 28, 2013
Obviously an introduction for a series.
December 23, 2013
Just love made for cable TV sci fi . .of course the movie info is wrong . .her name is Elle, not Liz but whatever ha ha. Sy Fy at its well whatever it is.
½ December 16, 2012
Would have made a great tv series, but as a film it's just here and there.
August 5, 2012
Well done religious myth based TV movie that could've been an entire TV series.
November 23, 2010
I don't think that a lot of people give this movie enough credit. The plot was interesting. It had good morals and even battled with the debate between faith and fanaticism. Even redemption and second chances.
October 24, 2010
Finally we get to see the battle we've all been waiting for as The Sentinel goes up against Q in this semi-religious semi-superhero schlockfest. Like so many made for SCI-FI (or Syfy) movies, this feels like a shoddy pilot for a TV series. With some work, this idea might have been kind of cool. But really working on those scripts doesn't seem to be a priority for these folks. Kind of dull.
January 29, 2010
Great movie to watch while multi-tasking, or with friends and beer. But what do you expect from another Sci-Fi Original?
½ June 22, 2009
With some big TV names like David Hewlett, John De Lancie and Richard Burgi I expect this movie to be better. I'm not even going to touch on story as the CGI was so terribly bad at times I have no clue what they were thinking. Sad day.
May 31, 2009
this is my second time seeing this movie. its awesome. any movie with shiri appleby from roswell is always gonna be good!
August 9, 2008
i loved this movie so much it had a twist to it and it took a while for the story and action to set in but all in all it was a masterpiece
½ July 6, 2008
Wow glad I can voice my disgust for this worthless piece of crap.
June 10, 2008
This is a big steaming turd of a movie. Ancient biblical legend, heroine who doesn't know her past or her destiny, battling demonic forces, yadda yadda yadda. I'll admit, this did help me get to sleep as I couldn't stay awake for much more than half of it.
½ June 9, 2008
How many movies are there that you can see Dr. Rodney McKay (Stargate Atlantis) and Q (Star Trek) together.
½ June 9, 2008
Come on!!!! Forget about smiting mankind... how bout a swift smite at the dude who wrote this instead... and how does this get written anyway??? They just throw a bunch of ideas in a hat and pull one out the night before the next day's shoot? Very messy. Too messy to even be fun.
½ May 22, 2008
it was ok..though not crazy about movies set too much in the dark.
March 27, 2008
love this movie want it but cant find it anywhere
March 3, 2008
Is that the BloodRayne outfit?
January 10, 2008
Lilith shall be my new nickname =]