Darkness Falls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darkness Falls Reviews

August 22, 2016
Darkness fall a film that doesn't make sense with too much plot holes. The performance was sluggish, and the scares, well there were none. Terrible film!
August 15, 2016
Underrated creepy tale which deserves more attention, yes it lacks a big named cast but better than a lot of modern movies.
August 14, 2016
An interesting concept with a lackluster story.
½ July 15, 2016
It's not great but not as terrible as everybody says either. It features a creepy villain and intense atmosphere.
July 2, 2016
This was an interesting watch. Though not great, it had moody ambience in spades, and I'm intrigued of what the future holds for director Liebesman. Worth a watch.
July 2, 2016
April 6, 2016
it doesn't even deserve the one star, this is shockingly terrible.
March 22, 2016
Sometimes it's fun to revisit a film that used to terrify you as a kid to see if it still has the same effect, and I'm embarrassed to say that I was ever scared by this lackluster piece of crap. Darkness Falls is the debut film from somewhat hack director, Jonathan Liebesman, and his inexperience is apparent all over the screen with poor direction of the actors, shoddy editing, and a runtime that barely cracks 80 minutes; the credits literally last 11 minutes just so this film could get a theatrical release. The basic story is that the tooth fairy was wrongly executed back in the day and has put a curse on the town where after losing your last baby tooth; she will come to get you and if you look upon her face: you're dead. The film centers on a man who lost his mother to the tooth fairy in the prologue (the best and tensest scene of the whole film) and is now trying to save anyone he can from her murderous wrath by keeping people in/around light sources, which are her only weakness. From there it becomes a mindless, slasher as people are picked off, left and right, in tame PG-13 fashion and the characters must use whatever light source they can to stay alive. It's actually a good premise (though filled with holes), but the filmmakers botch it so hard it's a real shame it wasn't used in a better movie. One of the funnier inconsistencies the film champions is that the Tooth Fairy casts a shadow when she's stalking through a room...HOW DOES SHE DO THAT IF LIGHT IS HER WEAKNESS? Anyway, yes this film is scary enough for young teens, but man, it does not hold up well and the only pleasure I had watching it was to see a then-unknown, Angus Sampson from Insidious and Mad Max: Fury Road fame and the film earns a few bonus points for using practical effects at the forefront!
January 20, 2016
You know exactly what kind of idiocy you're in for when the main character corners himself in bathroom, using a shower curtain as protection, instead of running out the front door. And still manages to survive. This all happens within the first 15 minutes. It's all downhill from there.
January 4, 2016
We all know the legend of the tooth fairy, but for one small town the legend is all to real!!!!
½ August 8, 2015
It's silly and campy, and not full of surprises, but it's still a fun movie to watch and has a few good scares.
½ July 28, 2015
Scenes don`t make any sense
½ June 28, 2015
A movie should have to explain this many gaping plot holes which the makers of this film felt they did not have to do.Carelessly made with a big middle finger to the viewer.
June 2, 2015
Darkness Falls is a loud, obnoxious horror movie with cheap scares and a really annoying (not scary) Tooth Fairy who growls and screams NONSTOP. She only kills children who lose their last baby tooth, but then she starts killing all these adults for the remainder of the movie..... Why? No idea, probably because the script is too lazy to give us a compelling horror story.
May 29, 2015
The evil tooth fairy is not even the worst element of this horror mess.
½ May 14, 2015
good creepy horror pic
½ January 18, 2015
Fail!!! Horrible movie!!!
December 4, 2014
It was okay, I guess. Unlike Vampires who are straight up picky about the intensity of light. This antagonist / phenom / spectre / tooth fairy / witch / banshee, whatever you want to call her hates all light period but cannot be stopped until her mask is taken off. Typical back story 1600s curse bullshit, so it's kind of a dumb concept. I'm not a fan of pointless revenge concepts especially when the antagonist is selective on who he/she/it chooses...the story starts off in the distant past through narration, spends about 15 minutes or so in 1991 then zooms to the future or present day, presumably in 2003 when the film was shot, that's usually how these things work.
½ November 17, 2014
A movie that's actually unusual and scary, but the sometimes incoherent and confusing editing brings it down a bit. 45/100
October 29, 2014
While I understand why most people don't like it, I very much enjoy this film's dark twist to the tooth fairy story; if you're going to watch it, you should do it with surround sound