Darkside Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darkside Blues Reviews

½ July 27, 2015
This film was consistently interesting from beginning to end, to the extent that it's quite hard for me to not like it. It certainly has a lot of imagination in almost every department, although there's not really a lot of focus. Although there is a linear story, there's no exposition given to how events took place to begin with. All we know about the story is that, in the film, much of the world is controlled by a large corporation that is rich enough to rule the world from space, and that they're only enemy is a small pocket of resistance aided by a mysterious man in black. Honestly, it's not a bad narrative, and the film itself full of potential, but there begs to be an explanation. As for the characters, the acting on the English dub isn't great, but the characters themselves were always interesting, especially Darkside, the coldly impregnable man in black who fades in and out of the film's world. The only thing that could make him any better is if he had wings. The animation, though it's not as good as some of the other anime films out there, has a kind of unique flavour, perhaps as a result of the film's special blend of high-tech, low life, and a distinctly graceful darkness. However, it's the music that cements this film as an atmospheric triumph. Had the narrative been expanded a bit more, I'd say this could have been an underrated classic, but don't get me wrong, it's still quite a gem of a film as it is.
½ September 7, 2009
Another movie I saw when I was younger so I didn't really get to appreciate it. I'd like to see this one again too
½ October 7, 2008
Very pretty. I liked it, but was this a series, because I feel like I missed some plot?
July 14, 2008
Not a bad Anime film.
½ March 6, 2008
Darkside Blues is brought to you by the same people who brought Vampire Hunter D and Demon City. But as a heads up do not expect to see anything like that from this. It is a very confusing story that has a point to it. The main character does not seem to have any real power other than to have you face your own fears(or emotional issues). Hence he helps other characters in the story become emotionally free. Little action, with the little there is being fun to watch but not amazing to watch.
December 26, 2007
Fairly typical anime, but beautifully drawn, Darkside Blues is just moody enough to convince the self-serious adolescents who are drawn to anime like water that it's a masterpiece. They're wrong, but who can convince them otherwise?
½ November 22, 2007
I SO wish this series was longer
½ November 19, 2007
nothing to write home about, bust of a buy
November 2, 2007
Incomplete, but well worth anyone's time. Based off of a television serial.
½ October 31, 2007
Deep and dark not my favorite. Lost my attention part way into the film.
October 31, 2007
An extrememly cool film; albeit an incomplete one. Based on a work by Hideyuki Kikuchi, this is a movie that begs for a sequel. Unfortunately, no such sequel ever came. Though confusing, it's an engaging film with a tremendous atmosphere about it. Reccomended.
½ October 21, 2007
A good anime but would be better if there were more backstory
October 4, 2007
I want to see it again - haven't in a while :P
September 11, 2007
Good characters, terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE plot.
½ September 6, 2007
An amazing movie. The plot and characters are all convoluted and there's a degree of depth to it all that's not apparent without watching it several times.
August 21, 2007
i would like to see this one..
½ August 9, 2007
This is a hard flick to follow. The story is a little convoluted, and the voice acting isn't great. It's a bit of a mindbender, but worth a couple watches. Sort of in the same vein as something like Donnie Darko.
½ July 22, 2007