Darktown Strutters (Get Down and Boogie) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darktown Strutters (Get Down and Boogie) Reviews

March 7, 2015
The slight film is all about pies in the face, Keystone Kops type of chases, sight gags, smutty quips, and bizarre antics that emulate the oddity movies like Help (1965). Darktown Strutters proves to be an equal opportunity offender in crass racial humor, as it depicts all white males as racist and stupid while all black males as sexist and stupid.
½ October 3, 2014
Keenen Ivory Wayans parodied blaxploitation films with "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" in the late 80s, about 10 yeas after the heyday of the genre, but this film parodied the genre that same year that "Human Tornado" and "The Muthers" were released. While it was more topical at the time, it's unfortunately, not all that funny of a film. Nothing in this film made me laugh as much as the the goldfish shoes in Wayans' film.
April 27, 2013
Easily one of the weirdest movies ever! Definitely a must see cult film!
November 16, 2012
This is an over the top Blaxploitation flick that is slap stick at it's best. The cops are the rubes and the All Black Female Biker Gang is smart, sexy and funny. It's like The Dukes of Hazard after smoking a few j's meets the keystone cops at a kkk rally. Oh and there's some sweet Kung Fu moves and Dynomite Outfights. "Any similarity between this true life adventure and the story Cinderella ... is bullshit."
July 16, 2012
If there's one thing you can say about Darktown Strutters, it's that it's definitely unique. It reminded me a bit of Car Wash with its urban craziness of characters, but this movie has boatloads of craziness in spades than Car Wash could ever hope to have. None of it really makes any sense at all and it seems more like a stream of consciousness than anything. It's supposed to be a riffing on blaxploitation movies, which is pretty nifty for its time, but it doesn't really come off that way. It's also an offshoot of the Corman company, being produced by Roger's brother Gene Corman, having early production design work by Jack Fisk and even a small role for Corman regular Dick Miller. That doesn't really manage to give it any cult status or any sort of merit, but that's about all that's noteworthy about it. Watch it if you can manage to handle the nuttiness of it.
January 1, 2011
While watching this I kept asking myself, "is this really a movie?". Unfortunately it is a movie. Who knows what the plot or storyline is, I had no idea, and there didn't seem to even be one. This movie is incredibly stupid.
July 3, 2010
Given the amount of WTF, I assumed this was made in the 60's.
Generally incoherent, but with great moments, You're probably better off not watching this one totally sober.
½ January 14, 2010
Very bouncy blaxploitation comedy/live action cartoon. Almost like a rude version of the old Bannana Splits kid's show, but with more jokes about rape, drug use and racism. An oddtly -even among blaxploitation- to be sure.
½ December 22, 2009
This one is really bizarre; stumbling across it, I'm shocked to know it exists. It's a no-budget, cringingly unfunny blaxploitation musical comedy with some of the broadest cartoon slapstick you'll ever see. It has some entertainment value as a strange document of its time, and towards the end, some of the wacky visuals get so bizarre they border on the surreal - but only the most die-hard cult movie fanatics should even attempt this one.
July 16, 2009
Forget it, Jake, it's Darktown...a blaxploited musical comedy that slapsticks it to the Man. Best of all, it's non-P.C., Mac!
December 19, 2008
Never before have I had an appreciation for KKK clansmen jumping over a sign proclaiming 'OH SHIT!' while on motorbikes as much in my entire life.
September 8, 2008
Utterly delusional Blaxploitation that makes Boss Nigger look like a Disney production. The scenes aren't as shocking as they are completely out of left field and just plain WRONG. The action scenes are genuinely well shot and fun. But I mean, it's kind of hard to screw up a chase scene with KKK members on motorbikes and awesome buggies and other wacky stuff that are in this. The point is that it's a competently executed movie with an active imagination.
½ September 5, 2008
An odd little movie with loads of quirky performances and scenarios but ultimately wears a bit thin.