D.A.R.Y.L. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

D.A.R.Y.L. Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
Liked this one. Data Analyzing Robot Youth Lifeform, a military experiment, becomes a foster child for a local family (good role for Michael McKean as the Dad) until the military decides it wants to put an end to its creation. Works on the back of believable characters. A winner for parents and kids!
½ April 9, 2016
Corny but easy to watch. Daryl is probably the worst acronym ever.
March 6, 2016
an ok 80s scifi film
October 11, 2015
Being with good people even the robot becomes a human. This is a good and kind film. Only the presence of Barret makes this film a classic masterpiece.
April 30, 2015
Fun 80's classic about a mysterious boy taken in by foster parents who is unusually intelligent and amazing at everything he does, but turns out to be a robot of an experiment that is to be terminated, It's good fun, but fairly formulaic and goes where you expect it to go, and ends how you expect it to end.
March 21, 2015
A heartwarming family/kids movie that (admittedly) gets a bit too hokey at times. However, the decent acting and fast pacing keep the movie from getting too dull for kids. There are a lot of fun moments with Daryl learning the normal family life, and the ending has a decent bit of action for a kids film. Would highly suggest this movie for kids. It's goodhearted fun that even I found myself smirking at while watching.
½ March 15, 2015
Melodramatic and predictable, but still enjoyable (any 80s movie with kids in it is pretty great).
January 22, 2015
It's been so many years since I've watched this as a child, and now, I just think it's decent, not great.
August 16, 2013
Cute movie. DARYL= Data Analyzing Robotic Youth Lifeform.
½ August 14, 2013
Bland and predictable.
½ May 4, 2013
There's a heart in this kid's movie somewhere despite the dragging script and the cheeky performances. I liked the premise more than the execution of it. I was impressed by the conclusion - it showed some intelligence and ingenuity that wasn't present throughout most of the movie.
April 18, 2013
I like the idea and it makes for family fun movie time.
½ March 16, 2013
Yeah it has a fair amount of cheese factor, it was made in the 80's, so if you can get over the fashion, the keyboard-ish score, the Atari scene and even the freeze frame after the big baseball game, it's a really enjoyable film.

In fact, if you knew nothing going into this movie it would feel like two different films. One being a child adopted and fitting in with the parents lives. The last half finding out what he really is and having not stop chase scenes.

The kid is actually really good and Mckean & Hurt are great as the parents. Linker, as his best friends sister, was also totally adorable.

The ending can seem a tad hokey, but this was a young boy's adventure film much in line with say, FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR, I'd say.
½ January 21, 2013
Enjoyable 80s family fun. A lot of wasted potential story wise, but not terrible.
September 25, 2012
This movie was really cool watching it as a kid. Being able to do all of the stuff DARYL did was what I wanted to do. A good movie!
September 4, 2012
This is my father AS the GOOD BYE COACH KID
April 22, 2012
Heres one to dig up on your internet movie provider solid movie.
April 2, 2012
Classic 80's. Cyberboy meets society.
March 20, 2012