Date with an Angel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Date with an Angel Reviews

May 6, 2014
An engaged man finds an angel and can't decide whether to marry his b***** girlfriend or keep falling in love with the angel. The idea itself is stupid so therefore the movie is stupid.
½ May 6, 2014
Not very good, even for the 80s. The angel in question is really beautiful and the only reason for guys to watch this flick.
½ November 30, 2013
I use to love this movie when I was growing up...
September 7, 2013
This is one of those 80s comedies that are bad and cheesy plot wise but are quirky enough to love, especially if you were an 80s child. Terrible special effects although they did do a great job with the wings and lighting to make the angel appear to glow. I love the French fry bit and Emmanuelle plays her character perfectly.
August 5, 2013
I on';t care what anyone says, this movie is enchanting, funny and wonderfully entertaining. The casting of Emmanuelle Beart as the angel in this film is one of the best cases of an actor cast in the right role ever! Very charming and fun.
July 21, 2013
Cute for what it is...and very, very funny. Emmanuelle Bearts may be the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Perfectly cast for this role.
½ January 21, 2013
For a great deal of its running time, I cut "Date With an Angel" a lot of slack. It wasn't so much a bad movie as a misguided and bland one, but the longer it spins its wheels without going anywhere, the angrier and less tolerant I became.

It closely mirrors another romantic fantasy "Splash", but the emphasis here is more on comedic slapstick than on the romance. People falling down and bumping into things is what passes for comedy, but the love story is even less convincing. Emmanuelle Baert is stunning, but considering she doesn't say a word until the last scene, her beauty is apparently the only thing that draws Michael E. Knight to her. That's not enough to build a credible relationship on, but the storyline might have worked had it been fleshed out more.

Instead, the film spends way too much time on the assorted cast of mostly annoying supporting characters. Everyone in the film is a stereotype, from Phoebe Cates' shrill girlfriend to Knight himself, the misunderstood fiance who doesn't fit her father's mold, You have to wonder why Cates' father, played by David Dukes, is made out to be such a bad guy for wanting Baert to appear in his company's advertising when Knight's three friends are just as interested in exploiting her.

Tom McLoughlin's script plays it safe by refusing to be anything but conventional. When you have an angel on Earth romancing a mortal, it would seem the sky would be the limit on that film's potential. But "Date With an Angel" is about as ordinary as movies get. It's not interested in being challenging or different, instead, it's content to be a Saturday night date movie for easily pleased moviegoers.
October 8, 2012
I saw this movie maybe twice. I loved it. It was a very cute and family movie. Pheobe Cates pulled off the spoiled rotten type very good. The part of the angel was verey good.
½ January 9, 2012
even beart and cates could not save this feathery 80's slapstick flick. the soft focus and backlit hair was a blast from the past though. the entire contents of this movie could've (& should've) been summarized as a 4 minute music video, and that includes the soft focus slow panning sequences :-)
½ January 9, 2012
Storyline/Plot is non-existent and i felt my brain juice drained out of my ears. Beart looked seriously cherubic there... :)
May 11, 2011
Cute movie...laughed hard
½ March 13, 2011
Definitely liked it more back in the 80s...
February 9, 2011
Kimmi remembers this one from her childhood; I'd never heard of it. Watched it on Wii Netflix. Pure '80s cheeseball but funny, enjoyable, and exceeded my expectations. Check it out sometime...
February 8, 2011
I forgot how cute and cheezy this was. Watched it once or twice as a kid. Good to see it again. Love the excessive...well...everything. It was the eighties after all. :)
December 11, 2010
Emmanuelle B 1/2art is gorgeous. That is all this movie has going for it. That and an awesome 80s soundtrack. And a crap-ton of soft light filters/silks.
November 22, 2010
I like " Emmanuelle Beart"'s movies (^^)V
January 16, 2010
It;z a gOOd mOvie abOut an Angel remembered it when I waS Small &chubby XD
½ December 19, 2009
Very cool movie. You will like this one unless you are an EMO who hates the 'feel good' movies.