Dave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dave Reviews

½ March 10, 2014
This is an earnest and heartfelt little movie, with a great performance from Kevin Kline. This is one of those sentimental feel-good movies about the little guy that becomes beacon of goodness in the face of corruption and it was a pretty damn good one at that. Personally, I think Kevin Kline tried too hard to be likable, like the little man that can overcome every obstacle put in front of him in order to become a better president than the guy he was hired to replace. Maybe that's how the script was written, but Kevin Kline tries to be too likable, almost to a fault. That's not to say Kevin isn't good, because he is very good and the film, while it has a good script with plenty of comedy, relies on Kevin Kline's shoulders and he's certainly up to the task as he delivers the goods. I think the script also has some pretty serious "dark" moments, particularly for how light-hearted the film is. Like the whole stroke thing with the real president, that guy never gets out of that coma. It's not super dark, but you don't usually see that in these light-hearted, silly comedies. So I thought that was a good touch that added a little more serious touch to a silly story. The cast is really quite good and they're definitely the reason the film gets the score that it does. The script is also quite funny and I think that combination makes the film a lot of fun to watch even if it is a little sentimental.
½ February 1, 2014
One of my favorite movies
January 3, 2014
Finally got to see the whole thing; a really great movie with an important message for all political leaders (or leaders in general). Kevin Kline's awesome.
December 26, 2013
A superb political comedy, and Kline-as always-is superb!
½ November 30, 2013
Dave is a breezy and charming political comedy with lots of smart laughs and a brilliant lead performance from Kline.
November 23, 2013
Dave never fails with originality and charm. A movie that fairly achieves a happy ending.
½ November 8, 2013
A funny, sweet comedy that was led by the fantastic Kevin Kline, with great supporting performances from Ben Kingsley, Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Dunn, to name a few. It has you rooting for the protagonist all the way through, and while it very occasionally loses your interest, mostly due to its length, those moments were still cinematically well filmed, acted and written.
½ September 15, 2013
I am not a big fan of Mushy Melodramatic Feel Good Comedy Girly Movies but once a while you do enjoy a great Mushy Melodramatic Feel Good Comedy Girly Movie. And Dave is definitely one of them. Director Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters, Evolution, I love you Man) gives us Ordinary Story a Brilliant Screen Adaptation and makes it not just Entertaining and Engaging, but gives the movie its Twists, Turn and Heartfelt moments.

The Cast - Kevin Kline who takes on the Lead Role along with Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ving Rhames and Ben Kingsley as Supporting Roles give us a Fantastic Performance with their Chemistry and Screen Presence. I think what I loved the most was how the movie unfolded which left me quite intrigued and feeling good after I watched the movie.

Moment of Truth
I loved this movie. It's a good watch.

Overall Ratings
Surprisingly a 9 out of 10
September 14, 2013
Has to be one of the best feel good movies of all time.
September 3, 2013
A great dual performance from Kline some superb acting all around. Langella steals the show. Entertaining and a superb little comedy
½ August 9, 2013
Dave is an highly improbable story, but it is heartfelt and very entertaining. You will not get bored watching this flick and you'll smile all the while. It is simple straightforward, yet with a number of nice surprise. The acting is solid, no exaggeration or caricature, just nice performances.

For everyone.
½ August 5, 2013
"Dave" is a comedy/drama that says "What if our president was an actual person." It delivers a great picture, with superb acting on all sides. Although you'll not find yourself laughing your head off, your sure to find a smile on your face. It's one of those films that you don't want to end, which proves how good it really is.
May 19, 2013
what a sweet romantic comedy seen it a few times how sad am I
April 30, 2013
Yes. I'm giving myself a five-star rating. I'm THAT good.
½ April 18, 2013
A movie that will make you appreciate the hardships of the president and still make you feel good. Kline, Weaver, and Langella all play their parts in creating a comedy that still has enough of a Washington feel.
April 12, 2013
My introduction to Kevin Kline. What an awesome movie. Although having someone that looks EXACTLY like the president in every way get thru life without anyone mentioning it to him PRIOR to the White House staff is a little odd.
April 7, 2013
Great movie! Makes ya think...what if the average joe was president.
½ April 5, 2013
I used to LOVE this movie, and I still really like it. A solid comedy with a solid cast.
April 2, 2013
the plot is silly but it resonates more than it has any right to.
March 25, 2013
Whilst it's a bit unbelievable at times and incredibly idealistic, this is still an solid film with a great arc, plenty of laughs, some excellent performances and a few lovely messages.