David & Layla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

David & Layla Reviews

December 8, 2012
A gunshot to the knee is less painful than reading the description of this waste of film.
October 1, 2011
This is a cute story about people from two very different backgrounds finding love and making it work.
April 10, 2011
Based on a TRUE story! Refreshing to see that true love still stands, regardless of cultural/religious differences; after all, we are human beings.
March 23, 2011
It took a while to build up momentum, but it finally hit its stride in the last half of the movie. It was interesting to see the culture clash. The poor jokes were annoying and distracting from a good story.
October 14, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie. Funny, smart and romantic...a perfect chick flick in my opinion. I didnt even realize until the end that it was a true story.
iLeo
July 12, 2010
Fascinating movie. Great story plot that centralizes around two young individuals, David and Layla. David first sees Layla on the streets, and is instantly mesmerized by her beauty. Using his TV show as a forefront, he spends each day trying to meet her and strike up a conversation. Layla is unimpressed at first, but it is until one night when David tries an act of awkward chivalry that has him ending up at the brunt of a broom attack. The onslaught allows him to finally be recognized, but it is only the beginning in his adventure of pursuing Layla despite the differences of religions, personal views and opinions of families and friends where attraction grows into love and affection between the two. Great cast- David Moscow, Shiva Rose McDermott, Callie Thorne, Polly Adams, Peter Van Wagner, Ed Chemaly, and Anna George. Tons of humor. Definitely worth seeing!
June 10, 2010
‚??David and Layla‚?? is a romantic drama that explores the love between two people from very different cultural backgrounds. David Fine (David Moscow) is a Jewish guy and host of a show ‚??Sex and Happiness‚?? who spends his workdays interviewing people on the streets of Brooklyn. He is engaged to a domineering, Type- A personality, Abby (Callie Thorne), also a Jew. Things are moving along, not altogether satisfactorily (especially in his love life), when David sees a beautiful, exotic young woman walk down the street one day. The lady in question is Layla (Shiva Rose), a Kurdish refugee from Iraq who is living with her affluent relatives whilst she tries to figure out a way to get a green card ‚?? her visa expires in 30 days, and she faces deportation.
David finds himself falling hard for Layla, and the story centers on their courtship and the problems that inevitably arise in a cross-cultural romance, especially considering that David is a Jew whilst Layla is a Muslim. Needless to say, both families are not too thrilled at the couple‚??s romance ‚?? David‚??s mother, Judith (Polly Fine) is a typical Jewish mother who is horrified at the prospect of getting a shiksa daughter-in-law, especially a Muslim! Peter Van Wagner turns in a fine performance as Mel, David‚??s laidback and empathetic father.
The two leads share a credible on-screen chemistry that makes the viewer buy into the love at first sight premise (well for David at least). Shiva Rose (ex-wife of actor Dylan McDermott) is compelling and sexy as the lovely Layla who harbors within her a poetic and sensitive soul, who loves to dance and resorts to lying to her relatives (telling them she attends nursing school) whilst moonlighting as a traditional dancer in a local establishment. Unfortunately, so much is crammed into the storytelling, that not enough time is spent focusing on what draws Layla to David and vice versa, in terms of genuine feelings and depth of emotion. The story is packed with too many characters, and though the supporting cast does a good job, I felt this was a classic example of ‚??too many cooks spoiling the broth‚??.
The cultural differences are explored using humor ‚?? the scene where Layla attends Passover dinner at David‚??s house, bringing inappropriate hostess gifts is one among many scenes peppered throughout the movie. But, once again, this felt a bit derivative to me ‚?? if Layla truly loved David, then why did she not make the effort to find out what would make an appropriate Passover gift? Also, it felt to me like David was the one willing to make the most accommodations in the relationship.
Ultimately, I thought the movie was a fun exploration of an inter-religious romance, but it does approach the story in an almost trivial manner ‚?? there is no real, genuine, in-depth exploration of the complexities inherent within such relationships. I should know, being in a cross-cultural marriage myself. Final verdict ‚?? a fun movie with generally good acting, and should make good entertainment for those who like rom-coms.
½ May 9, 2010
Eh, alright, a little too crude at parts, but I really did like the cultural aspect..
jjnxn
½ December 23, 2009
Culture clash comedy/drama with a good lead performance by David Moscow, Caricatures abound though.
December 6, 2009
Could be fascinating or a bore fest?
December 6, 2009
Thanks! I now know how this movie begins, lives out, and ends. Thanks a lot.
December 5, 2009
romantic movie, what do you say
December 5, 2009
good move good moment..
December 4, 2009
mungkin mirip kayak layla majnun kali ya...
looks like anice flick
December 3, 2009
trying 2 understand something from this movies.... nice
½ December 3, 2009
Based on a true story, true love has no barriers...
December 3, 2009
IT IS VERY GOOD J'aim bien cette films
December 2, 2009
dude she has my name! must watch!