David y Lisa Reviews

• Oct 02, 2012

Brittany Murphy is great, seeing her in such a role, a year before "Girl, Interrupted" is quite something. Encapsulating the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Unfortunately the direction and script is very weak/ lifetime quality. The movie was painful to get through, and scenes without Lisa are uninteresting and dull. The character arc of David is pathetically poor, full of clichà (C) and pointlessness. The dialogue between David and Lisa is awkward, but both actors seemed to be convincing enough, especially Brittany.

• Mar 01, 2010

This emotionally destroyed me.

This emotionally destroyed me.

• Aug 26, 2009

Huge fan of Kimiko Gelman...she makes David & Lisa a reason to watch. The story is about a really smart guy who fears being touched. Very emotional filck.

• Jun 23, 2008

I've had David & Lisa in my DVD case for absolutely ages now (I think I may actually be talking about years, rather than months), and have just never got around to or been in the mood to watch it. Although it did take me three hours to watch an 86 minute long film due to constant interruptions, I did actually enjoy it. Bearing a lot of similarities to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest & Girl, Interrupted (which Brittany Murphy also starred in), David & Lisa focuses on two teenagers, both with serious problems. David (Luke Haas, who has a good look of Toby Maguire in some scenes) has a fear of anyone touching him (although this is never explained, but constant flashbacks to him and his parents by the sea hint at something) and also has OCD. He also has a recurring dream/nightmare of a 'clock execution'. Lisa talks in rhyme and has something of a split personality, and a close relationship with her therapist, played brilliantly by Debi Mazar. Gradually these two overcome their differences to become friends. What I loved about this film is Brittany's performance, it's simply stunning. Very similar to the character she played in Girl, Interrupted, it's so different to the actress she's become now, conformed to the Hollywood idea of the perfect actress. Yes she has grown up, but compare her looks in this and Girl, Interrupted, to how she is now, you'd think it was a different actress. And I much prefer her earlier roles. The story's pretty simple enough, and on the DVD, it even has an introduction by Oprah Winfrey. Why, I don't know, but it's obviously a movie she's put her name to, cos it's so good. These people will do anything for money. I'm glad I eventually watched David & Lisa, as it was a really good movie, and one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, but One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest & Girl, Interrupted, do have the edge.

• Jun 22, 2008

A cute love story between a boy with autism and a girl who only speaks in rhyme. Beautiful.

• May 22, 2008

First off skip the Oprah Winfrey introduction, god the ego on this woman, second ignore Sidney Poitier as the 'Star' i don't think he changes his facial expression during the film, finally sit back and enjoy Lukas Haas and Brittany Murphy as they guide you through this tale of troubled teenagers coping with their problems in a institution type place, it's not really a memorable film but it's lovely and no two actors could of done a better job. The film deals with the two characters (Haas and Murphy) striking up a friendship wheir they grow very close to each other and don't want to be apart.