Davy Crockett and the River Pirates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Davy Crockett and the River Pirates Reviews

June 14, 2017
Brings back such memories!!!
½ November 4, 2016
One heck of an adventure film. I like it even better than Davy Crockett: King Of The Wild Frontier. The addition of Jeff York as Mike Fink is awesome, and rounds out an all-star trio with Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen. (First viewing - Summer 2009)
September 12, 2016
Good Disney family entertainment with Mike Fink the king of the river! Has the feeling of a TV movie.
½ January 9, 2015
Only thing wrong with this is that it couldn't have been directed by Quentin Tarantino.
½ December 23, 2014
i remember seeing this as a kid
½ November 29, 2014
This movie was originally a couple of TV episodes on the old Disney TV show. It was made about the time I was born and this version was released to the theaters after it came out on TV. I have this movie on a Disney Laserdisc. When I was about in the second grade these Davy Crockett shows were re-run on NBC's Wonderful World of Color. At the time my family went to Sunday night church at 6:30 and the Wonder World of Color started at 6:00; therefore, I only got to watch the first 15 or 20 minutes of each show. I remember watching parts of this movie on TV back then and I remember my friends talking about this episode at school the next day. The Davy Crockett shows were aimed at young boys. It's the kind of show that they don't make anymore. There is some violence in the form of fist fights and gun fights that they won't put in kid's shows today. The Indians were stereo types but in one respect accurate because Davy Crockett says the Chickasaw were friendly and they had horses. That's historically accurate. The Indians in the movie were actually white river pirates disguised as Indians. The movie is supposed to be set in 1810 but they act like Davy Crockett is already famous. Davy Crockett didn't become famous until the War of 1812. In 1810 Davy Crockett was an anonymous bear hunter living in the eastern Tennessee Mountains. The other character in the movie is Mike Fink. They made Mike Fink out to be an urban keel boat captain. The real Mike Fink was a frontier woodsman not that different than Davy Crockett. He was a local character in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. He may have met Davy Crockett once. The real Mike Fink was 16 years older than Davy Crockett. In 1810 Davy Crockett would have been 24 and Mike Fink would have been 40. The story in the movie is pure fiction. Mike Fink was a much more colorful character than Davy Crockett. He worked a few years on keel boats on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers until the arrival of the steamboats. He was murdered on a trip to the Rocky Mountains in 1823. Davy Crockett was a much more charismatic character and used the fame he achieved in the Indian wars during and after the War of 1812 to run for Congress. He was elected to Congress the same year Mike Fink was killed. Crockett started out as a supporter of Andrew Jackson and even helped subdue the assassin who tried to kill Jackson. After Crockett opposed Jackson's Indian Removal Act and almost defeated it, Jackson sent his Democrat Party political machine to Crockett's district and had him defeated after six years in Congress. With his political career ruined Crockett went to Texas to help his old friend Sam Houston and wound up at the Alamo where he was killed by Santa Anna.
September 8, 2010
DAVY CROCKETT AND THE RIVER PIRATES (1956)
½ May 25, 2009
This is a really good movie. I actually like this one better than the first one. A classic Disney adventure movie! Whats not to love?
May 8, 2009
Herlig 50-tals western :-)
January 22, 2009
A sequel that was just as good as the first and actually had more laughs, fights, and fun.
The old style mass fights are always appealing to me, especially when their played for laughs like they are here.
The acting is great and York makes a great addition as the boastful Mike Fink.
It's a great family friendly Disney classic that is as good as the first and as much as my favorite.

"I can out-run, out-jump, out-sing, out-swim, out-dance, out-shoot, out-eat, out-drink..."
"Out-talk?"
"Out-talk, out-cuss, out-fight anybody in the whole Mississippi and Ohio Rivers put together!"
December 20, 2008
Not my type of movie actually, but i enjoyed this one. So now i want to see the first Davy Crockett movie aswell.
November 24, 2008
Part of the Disney TV trilogy that sent every boy in America out to get a coonskin cap.
½ September 6, 2008
Classic Disney. Parker, Ebsen, and York are great characters and engaging.
September 2, 2008
Super sweet movie!!!
June 29, 2008
I had no idea this movie existed until recently. King of the Wild Frontier was a childhood favorite of mine, so I was interested to see what this would be like. I think its lesser known for a reason. much more fantasy-driven with less believable acting and storytelling. still a cool movie, but it's not exactly as top-notch as its predecessor.
June 29, 2008
March 30, 2008
I grew up watching this movie over and over and king of the wild frontier. They sure don't make movies like this any more its ashame. I can still watch this movie over and over and not get tired of it. Still got Mike Fink's song memorized.
March 13, 2008
I loved these movies when I was a kid.
½ March 8, 2008
OK, maybe not as good as the 1st movie, but definitely more hilarious. Buddy Ebsen and Fess Parker are amazing together.
½ February 24, 2008
movie poster for davy crockett and the rive pirates actor&castfor davy crockett and the river praters fess parker buddy edbsen jeff york