Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier Reviews

½ December 15, 2016
A good movie that has good history. So if you like Davy Crockett it could be the right movie for you to see. My favorite song was Davy Crockett that's a good song
April 16, 2016
This was a smash when it was released. I saw it when I was 6 or 7 and WOW! It spawned a wave of Davy Crockett hats etc etc....it was a smash. Saw it again after 60 years and it's still terrific. Fess Parker IS Davy Crockett!! Oh, the years of childhood! What a wonderful film. A classic and for me, a timeless classic.
Red Stick, Major Norton and Georgie Russell will live with me forever.
December 23, 2014
one of my 1st crushes was fess parker
October 4, 2014
Disney's glorification of the American legend is extraordinary, and triggers patriotic feelings. Fess Parker will always be remembered for the role. (First full viewing - Summer 2009)
½ June 26, 2014
Monday, June 9, 2014

(1955) Davy Crockett, The King Of The Wild Frontier
WESTERN ADVENTURE

The first of four movies from Disney generalizing the adventures of Davy Crockett with Fess Parker playing role with Buddy Ebsen (Beverly Hillbillies television show) playing the sidekick as George Russel. What's great about this particular movie is that it cuts to the chase, as it's running the story along without a whole lot of sentimental hogwash.

3 out of 4 stars
½ October 28, 2013
With a shocking ending, Davy Crockett shows great American spirit.
November 8, 2012
Classic! Need I say more. Fess Parker is and forever will be Davy Crockett as we know him.
August 15, 2012
Growing up in the late fifties and sixties this movie and Old Yeller were must sees.
July 30, 2012
An Introduction to the Power of Marketing to Kids

This is really just the three episodes of the Disney TV show patched together for a theatrical release. Now, my mother actually argued with me when I bought it; she insists that there were more than three episodes, because she remembers that it was huge. And indeed it was, but leaving aside that, as I said, I own the series on DVD, Walt is famously quoted as having said that, had he known how popular the thing would have been, he wouldn't have killed off his main character in three episodes. Which, you know, fair point for Walt. The success of the show, which was three episodes of [i]Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color[/i], caught everyone by surprise and presumably led to Fess Parker's later casting as Daniel Boone. I've only seen an episode or two of that, but it was obviously written in the hopes of cashing in on the success of the fictionalized life of another figure of American folklore.

So it turns out that Davy Crockett (Parker) was born on a mountaintop in Tennessee. (Sing along, if you know the words--and who doesn't know the words?) The story picks up considerably later than that, though. Specifically, while Davy and his best friend, George Russel (Buddy Ebsen), are fighting in the Creek Indian Wars. Andrew Jackson (Basil Ruysdael) dinks around, and Davy saves his butt. Then, Davy went off to Congress and served a spell. There, he runs afoul of Andrew Jackson some more. His wife, Polly (Helene Stanley), died while he was off fighting the Creeks, so the movie doesn't much need to talk about her. It can focus instead on missing most of what caused the conflict between the US and the Creeks, then Davy Crockett and Andrew Jackson. And because of that, we don't really understand why Davy's constituents vote him out--and we don't get his famous line about how, if they do so, they can go to Hell and he will go to Texas. But he does, indeed, go to Texas, and we all know what happened there.

Actually, I read a book not all that long ago about the historical figure of David Crockett, and while Fess Parker wasn't much like him, neither was the character who appeared in David Crockett's autobiography. This version of the figure gets called racist, and of course it is at least somewhat. However, it's nothing compared to the racism we saw in the actual man's life. At least this Davy has a certain amount of respect for the Creeks; he doesn't ever seem to kill anyone out of any real personal animosity. And while Andrew Jackson is incompetent, he isn't a vicious, genocidal thug. Heck, it even permits an Indian to be among those nobly killed at the Alamo, and if it doesn't paint the Mexicans in too great a light, well, you kind of can't when it's a war against them which killed your hero. And while the movie doesn't go much into exactly why the Texians were seceding from Mexico, it's true that the historical David Crockett didn't care much about the slavery issue, either.

Oh, I'm not sure how well this ages for a modern audience, but I don't think it deserves some of the criticism it gets. For one thing, you have to remember that this was made for TV initially. It was aired in theatres, but it was aired in theatres as part of Walt's desperate attempt to cash in on the fad he had so obviously failed to anticipate. Stores couldn't keep coonskin caps in stock, after all. "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" was top of the charts. (Losing its place to "Unchained Melody.") And if you ever get the chance, listen to the cover done perhaps fifteen years ago by Tim Curry. It is almost impossible to review this as a movie, because it is such a cultural phenomenon that it's like trying to review [i]How Green Was My Valley[/i] without discussing [i]Citizen Kane[/i]. You cannot separate the two, much though you may wish to and hard as you may try. Even I, born so long after the days when every little boy was dressed up as a cowboy, know that what I was watching had shaped my mother's generation.

To be perfectly honest, I fell in love with Davy Crockett when I was a child. The Disney Channel used to play the episodes, and the pieced-together movies (the popularity of the show also caused Walt to create a prequel, [i]Davy Crockett and the River Pirates[/i]), all the time when I was little, and I looked forward to them with delight every time the ads for them played. This has since ebbed, though my fondness remains strong. The Davy Crockett in this is a simple, goodhearted man, and if as a child I was unbothered by how little it bothered me that he abandoned his wife and she died alone, well, as an adult I assume he's in love with Georgie and just can't admit it because it's the 1840s. No, he's not as interesting as the historical figure, but it's still not surprising to me that he caught the attention of all those little kids. My own mother, who would have been eleven at the time, was more into [i]Zorro[/i], however.
July 25, 2012
A guilty pleasure. It's racist, it's corny, it's stupid, and it never fails to put a grin on my face. Maybe that's because I'm a sucker for the soundtrack (which is surprisingly good for a kids' movie). Maybe it's because Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen are such unapologetic hillbillies. Maybe it's because I grew up watching this film. Either way, give this ole bar a chance.
½ June 12, 2012
Disney takes a lot of jokes about being too watered down when it comes to action/adventure. This movie has a good grip on both.
July 3, 2011
Cute Disney film that traces the legend of Davey Crockett.
September 7, 2010
DAVY CROCKETT, KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER (1955)
½ March 27, 2010
One of my all-time favorite movies growing up, and I just watched it again tonight and it was better than ever!
March 20, 2010
A true classic adventure from his days in Tennessee, to Congress and the Alamo. I grew up watching the two Davy Crockett films frequently and it's a shame the series didn't last longer. However, if you haven't seen them, I recommend that you do.
½ January 13, 2010
A very interesting look at Davy Crockett, although it's very inaccurate looking. The costumes look hilarious by today's standards, they look anything but authentic. The story was extremely jumbled around to make it theatrical. Overall, it's a fun movie, but not much more than that.
½ December 25, 2009
Fess Parker is the one and only Davy Crocket and the melding of a couple of the television shows together is impressive (although noticeable). Fun, funny, and intense in moments, this old school Disney has its best moment with the climax at the Alamo.
½ November 30, 2009
A fun and well-done look at the real but legendary Davy Crockett. Fess Parker plays the American hero in a larger than life way while still showing the compassion and sensability of the frontiersman. From volunteer in the Creek Indian War to his final adventure at the Alamo this film highlights the life of Crockett. Buddy Ebsen (Beverly Hillbillies) stars as a supporting sidekick to Parker's Crockett and the two work nicely together.
September 27, 2009
Great film.

"kilt him a b'ar when he was only three" Tough guy. :D
½ September 11, 2009
Watched this with Sophie last night. She really enjoyed it. Plus, it has encouraged us to do a little research on the Alamo. :-)