Dawn of the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dawn of the Dead Reviews

½ May 12, 2016
Such a fantastic remake. One of the best, as well as one of the top Zombie flicks. Falls apart a little at the end, but it's still so damn good.
½ May 1, 2016
This film got me into the Zombie genre
April 30, 2016
This 2004 version of Dawn of The Dead pays respects to the original in a wonderful way, as well as taking on it's on dimensions. While the movie could have been executed in a better way, as well as taken a deeper route in terms of the ending - it is still a worthy remake of a classic we all love.
DrStrangeblog
½ April 16, 2016
Terrific modern horror film: exciting, scary, and pulse-pounding with the most frightening and deadliest zombies ever seen. Shows what can happen when you recruit a cast that can act. The pregnancy side story went over the top, but otherwise a white-knuckle thrillride; don't dare miss the opening 10 minutes!!
April 12, 2016
Absorbing zombie flick that nearly deserves its cult status.
March 30, 2016
Dawn of the Dead is one of the best remakes out there.
½ March 29, 2016
Snyder's career (as of 2016) peeks in what is his best movie to date.

He expertly manages to capture a story in the notoriously bad for story horror genre. The opening scenes of this film are some of the best in any film and puts the viewer right into the action without pulling or pushing them into it. Snyder excels at creating a believable zombie outbreak film way ahead of the current "serious" adaptation shows and movies that follow.

In many ways, it is heartbreaking to watch this film today. It is the exact thing you want from a Snyder film, fast paced action that organically builds into and from a well constructed plot with smooth character development that lends the viewer ease when suspending their disbelief. Sadly, he never delivers it again.
½ March 22, 2016
Zack Snyder brings us a zombie movie that's better than many zombie movies actually, with over-the-top action sequences and with some original moments. The first 10 minutes and the last half-hour are outstanding!
½ March 17, 2016
Makes you really appreciate The Walking Dead. This remake has no soul.
½ March 7, 2016
It starts out very promising but dissolves into a waste.
February 9, 2016
.├├,┬ó├,├,┬Ž├┬ó├,┬Ž├ó┬Ž,
February 6, 2016
Ok but not a patch on the original.
January 26, 2016
Una de las mejores pelÝculas del subgÚnero de zombies que se han hecho. Divertida y bien rodada.
January 24, 2016
If you're looking for a good, serious, modern zombie movie, this is the one you want!
½ January 16, 2016
Though I love both 'Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole' and 'Watchmen', I actually think Snyder's remake of George A. Romero's 'Dawn of the Dead' may be his finest and most personal work of the three. Usually I stay away from contemporary remakes of the classics like the plague, because to me, atmosphere is everything, and today's directors tend to significantly miss that point, but sometimes I just can't stop myself, and it helped that two recent character actors I really respect (fellow Canadian Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames) played significant roles. Though I still prefer the satirical angle on consumerism Romero utilized in his 70's original (and for that reason alone it would make a great double bill with 'Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom', at least from Pier Paolo Pasolini's philosophical context), this is head and shoulders (shot, of course, so it doesn't come back as a zombie) above other remakes of this era. I wish Snyder still had the sense of hunger that permeates this first film of his (pardon the pun ;) )...
½ January 14, 2016
One of the best remakes ever made, Dawn of the Dead is a great movie for both zombie fans and horror fans.
January 11, 2016
actually not all bad
½ January 11, 2016
Typical remake of a horror classic. Unfortunately it suffered from stupidity and horror tropes and cliche's. And it looked way too polished and bright and clean. However this might have been intentional to provide a greater contrast between it and the subject matter. And let's be honest, the makeup and special effects are better than they were 25 years ago, even though that doesn't make a movie good. Tried to add the social commentary, just not as clever or subtle as the original. I'm not saying Zack Snyder is an unimaginative hack, but this movie did feel cheap, and laughably bad. Big, dumb, gory and flashy. I could nitpick every detail. but I'll just say "for what it was, it wasn't bad".
December 28, 2015
One of my favorite directors, Zack Snyder, have brought an outstanding remake of the 1978 classic. The story looked well done, the zombies looked gory and gritty like they should be, and the pacing and direction looked good.
December 7, 2015
Zombies that can run! A great remake that is almost as good as the original - the acting is definitely better in this. Very well done, Ving Rhames was great; I enjoyed the whole Andy and Kenneth friendship thing. A highly entertaining remake that goes straight for scares, thrills and chills.