The Day After Tomorrow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Day After Tomorrow Reviews

½ March 7, 2017
I'm able to see the bombastic hollywood flaws but I've a certain soft spot for disaster flicks so this one instantly won me over. Not as all out entertaining as Emmerich's later film, 2012, but all-in-all it's a better film.
½ February 25, 2017
One disaster? How about ALL DISASTERS.

And wolves. what
February 12, 2017
Excellent! Worth watching. I'd watch it again. Majestic epic. Great special effects. Good cast.
January 22, 2017
Well acted, interesting, with a lot of suspense, but with weak script and predictable story
½ January 15, 2017
dumb movie plot..good graphics
½ January 10, 2017
Although it boasts some excellent special effects (for the most part), it takes a long time to get going, feels 20 minutes too long and is ultimately quite forgettable.
½ December 24, 2016
The visuals saved this movie.
½ December 7, 2016
Dramatic, not very realistic, but entertaining.

"Not very realistic" because I can't imagine a bunch of tornados ushering in such extreme temperature changes. However, Hawaii just had some anomolously cold and snowy weather. The Arctic Vortex has been fluctuating from its normal location. Arctic Vortex? What's that!?

Climate seems pretty complicated. Maybe we should make things simpler and defund climate research.
½ November 30, 2016
Here we have yet another Roland Emmerich disaster movie, and again we're delivered a real entertaining popcorn flick. Theres plenty of action to be had and despite the scale of the destruction Roland always seems to provide a light means of drama. There is a lack of realism which is dumbed down to the fact that 50% of the movie they're trying to prove it could be true, however you cannot deny some good effects which really provides thrilling entertainment due to the grand scale of the disaster. I do enjoy disaster movies and Emmerichs movies do often feel too serious, undermined by the unbelivability. Often making his movies often hit or miss but The Day after Tomorrow is definitely somewhere in between.
November 30, 2016
The day after tomorrow story had promise but was presented horribly. The plot is constantly dragged down to show some special effects (marks for getting the science right though) which aren't very good by today's standard. The dialog is botched to make way for effects, as is everything else. This hodgepodge of a film is only worth the outdated special effects it was made to show off.
November 26, 2016
Just like Independence Day: Stupidly enjoyable.
October 22, 2016
yet another GD lost review
October 6, 2016
I know I liked it, don't remember alot tho
September 25, 2016
Epic and fun Disaster Movie
August 2, 2016
I am probably an appalling film critic for saying this, but it is one of the best disaster movies I have seen - at least for a while. Yes, it is flawed in several ways, but still is undeniable popcorn entertainment.
Verdict: B+
½ July 20, 2016
This movie sucked so bad but it had good cgi
July 4, 2016
Really good movie, they should make a second one
½ June 28, 2016
It was a decent movie. They had pretty good actors that had great acting.
June 19, 2016
So, Tuesday, then.

OK, 'The Day After Tomorrow', in reality, is not meant in a literal sense, rather a more metaphorical sense, with this disaster film concerning itself with (in effect) Global Warming - Global Warming that sees the seas rise and temperatures drop below freezing, leading climatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid) son (Jake Gyllenghall) trapped in New York City.

Cliched plot, yes, but that's not what you go to see a film like this for: rather, you go for the effects and the ludicrous (but enjoyable) over-the-top antics!

I also have to say, I think I prefer this over '2012' (by the same director), mainly due to the smaller, more intimate, scope and setting.
June 14, 2016
Stunning visual effects, a so-so story but a ludicrous ending brings it down.