A Day at the Races - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Day at the Races Reviews

June 1, 2016
Some hilarious moments in this Marx Brothers film involving horse racing and a sanatorium, though I would have preferred less music and more comedy. The scenes involving Groucho placing a bet, in his room, and in the operating theatre are particularly clever. My equal favourite film of 1937.
February 24, 2016
Some great sequences towards the end make up for a pretty dull first 2/3rds.
½ January 12, 2016
The 3 best known Brothers return- with Margaret Dumont, Sig Rumann, and the ever beautiful Maureen O'Sullivan. OK plot, good cinematography, good acting, and more one-liners than you could hope to laugh at. Though the "chitlin circuit" bit in the middle seems out of place, it has one of the best dance sequences ever filmed.
½ January 4, 2016
A Day at the Races is a funny film. It is about veterinarian posing as a doctor, a race-horse owner and his friends struggle to help keep a sanitarium open. The Marx Brothers gives amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Sam Wood did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor. A Day at the Races is a must see.
½ August 19, 2015
Could've done without all the musical numbers, but still really funny.
½ August 15, 2015
The last film of their prime, and The Marx Brothers made it count.
August 14, 2015
funny zany and the only Marx brothers film post Paramount studios I own need I say more?
½ July 1, 2015
Another Marx Brothers classic. As always, the highlights are Groucho's one-liners, but Harpo's clowning is a treat too.

It's not all good though. The plot drifts, and gets more absurd, in the second half. Also contains a fair amount of padding - the musical numbers were unnecessary (except for Chico's piano solo, which was brilliant, and Harpo's subsequent playing of the piano until it is a harp!). Plus, some of the skits went on beyond their punchline.
½ April 15, 2015
Typical Marx Bros cracks that may not be their best work, but what I thought was worth watching. It would've been way better without the boredom of singing.
April 2, 2015
Thanks to Groucho's spitfire wit, Chico's incessant scheming, and Harpo's innocent antics, "A Day At The Races" churns out constant smirks and chuckles from the other end of the silver screen.
½ April 1, 2015
Starring The Marx Bros. and Maureen O'Sullivan. While it lacks the wackiness of a "Duck Soup," or the consistent wit of "A Night at the Opera," there are some positively first-rate bits in this film. The brothers were sued by a woman who wrote them to suggest they do a film at a mental institution. Directed by Sam Wood
February 7, 2015
This Marx brother movie could have been better, if it had not been bogged down by excessive dance and song sequences. They really amount to filler, except for the barn dance, which had a point. I did like the apparent themes, but uneven pacing makes for a hard watch.
November 1, 2014
I greatly enjoyed this, the last of The Marx Brothers' great films. I think in retrospect I would place it between Duck Soup (as their best) and A Night at the Opera, but that's just personal preference. They're all riotous and hugely rewarding films.
October 9, 2014
Classic and hilarious Marx Bro's.
½ October 8, 2014
A good one, but not quite great.
September 26, 2014
This was the last Marx Brothers movie that made money. It's also the last Marx Brothers movie made during the Great Depression. It also has several scenes without one of the Marx Brothers. The back story is about trying to save a sanitarium from being bought out by a gambler wanting to turn it into a casino. There are a couple of long musical numbers. One has all black musicians and dancers. From today's perspective it's slightly racist. Especially at the end when the Marx Brothers smear grease on their faces to hide from the sheriff among the black dancers. The plan is to have Groucho convince a rich lady to bailout the sanitarium. The other plan is to have a horse win a race and use the prize money to pay the debts. There are no memorable one-liners. The Marx Brothers are funny but none of the lines were classics.
August 12, 2014
Not a fan of slapstick or the marx brothers but this is one of their funniest
March 24, 2014
The Marx Brothers take their antics to a sanitarium and a race track, the results are mostly funny. It isn't their best film, but I'll be damned if they don't crack me up in this one. Essentially Groucho plays a vet who is mistakenly hired by a sanitarium for humans, while Chico plays a guy who hangs around the sanitarium and the race track, and also at the track is Harpo, who is playing a jockey. It is a film whose plot is fairly loose in order to give the Marx Brothers a chance to unleash their antics.
August 13, 2013
The best of the Marx Brothers films. Some funny set pieces as always, but also including several fine songs by tenor Allen Jones, and an amazing dance extravaganza featuring Viven Faye & ensemble.
½ July 21, 2013
Not one of the great Marx brothers films, but plenty to enjoy.