Day Night Day Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Day Night Day Night Reviews

November 9, 2015
didn't care for the subject matter of this pic
½ May 30, 2014
A chiller of the finest degree, with a startlingly haunting performance from its criminally under discussed Luisa Williams. Loktev's vision is a minimalist approach to the narrative of a suicide bomber, so devote in her faith or perhaps so mental sick that she is willing to destroy herself and others. An incredibly taunt and naturalistic film that will leave you on the edge of your sit through most of the run time.
October 12, 2013
Harrowing in sections, but at the end I wished I'd known more about its protagonist, simply because it's so compelling that such a nice, polite person would be brought to this. Loktev's decision to distance us is more interesting to think about than to experience.
September 22, 2013
Ciudat si terorizant
½ April 13, 2013
This girl in the film is really what I would expect a suicide bomber to be--a mentally disturbed and very malleable girl child who is scared being manipulated by a group of older men too cowardly to do their dirty work themselves, because they are too important to their cause in their own estimation, always such a good excuse. That she is disturbed is shown in their way she compulsively cleans herself, which also shows that she doesn't really believe she will really be gone, as kids her age don't, and that she is doing this in the first place. That she is scared shows in her extreme meekness and politeness, her blinking eyes, her fetal postures, peeing herself. The men's cowardice shows in the way they let her do this, their wearing the masks around her, and putting the blind folds on her. All the other terrorists are older than she is. The only thing that surprised me was that all the speaking voice accents, including hers, are distinctly American. It is a very effective film, and nothing of this type had been attempted before of which I had ever heard. The very lack of any emotion in all of the film but the last twenty minutes makes it very chilling, and that is a plus--one would not want to glorify such intent. Only a selfishly childlike person could mix with the people on the street who only try to help her and whom she asks for help and not consider that other peoples' lives are precious to them, even if she doesn't consider her own to be of any worth. Her childishness is also shown by her pizza, pretzel, candy apple last supper, her watching the barking dog toy, and calling her parents when the going gets rough. All of these factors make this film very moving emotionally for the thoughtful adult audience member. It is not an enjoyable film, but it is not meant to be.
½ January 22, 2013
What do you believe in? This film will have you asking that as well as other questions. What is faith, and what happens when what you believed to be true is not? A minimalist approach, great actors, and an engaging presentation.
December 28, 2012
Understandably a well shot/wrote film but just fell short in keeping with a middle ground i thought. With the freedom to come up with a "real life" story, I felt they should have given the lead character that freedom to be more involved with the screentime instead of just reusing blank stares and quiet moments.
December 7, 2012
DAY NIGHT DAY NIGHT oh sod off!
October 15, 2012
This movis is absolutely terrible, unless you are interested in destailed sound recordings of a woman doing everyday tasks, such as shaving her pits and eating... This was like nails on a chalkboard for 94minutes...(I assume, never made it to the end)
August 22, 2012
Day Night Day Night is a chilling drama that leaves you tense throughout it, even if it doesn't have much depth.
August 9, 2012
Got caught up in this fictional docu drama. It does a great job of protraying life and building up a tense sense of dread but the payoff is lacking. There are too many questions about why and what happens to make it a "good" movie but I think the movie did what it intended to do, which was put the viewer in the shoes of a suicide bomber. The why part, will not be answered to any satisfaction. Not worth seeing.
½ July 12, 2012
Eerie film, your waiting for a climax that never happens. 60% of the film is a close up of her eating things..Strange
½ June 12, 2012
A Van Santian attempt to get in the head of a suicide bomber, but devoid of context, it's not especially effective. The whole thing is a lot more like ELEPHANT than I'd like, minus the pretentious sky-gazing shots.
½ May 2, 2012
Day Night Day Night tells the story of a young woman whom arrives in New York City preparing to commit a terrorist attack. This is a very minimalistic film. We follow this young woman as she prepares to be the suicide bomber, from meeting her initial contacts in New York to the final act where she is in times square carrying out her mission. The film spends a lot of time with this young woman, showing every of this planned attack. Its fascinating seeing all the meticulous details that go into such a heinous act, and its constructed with a real sense of realism. Once the young woman is in Times Square is when the realism of this film really hit me. I really felt like I was watching a documentary, which makes the film even more intense and interesting during its final act. The film doesn't over villianize anyone, or take sides at all but rather gives an interesting study of how far someone is willing to go for their faith.
April 11, 2012
I went for something a little offbeat and quirky and the reviews of this were off the charts. It's definitely weird. Not for those easily depressed. You also have to have a lot of patience to get through this movie. It's not usually a problem for me, but even I was tested. I don't think many of my peers will care for this one.
April 3, 2012
This one sounds scary true think I'll skip it so I can keep on sleeping well at night.
March 19, 2012
Never revealing the protagonist's specific cause puts all the focus on the process of suicide bombing, but it turns her whole story into an abstraction. That said, Williams's performance makes the film work as much as it does.
March 2, 2012
Tried waaaaaaaaay too hard. Painful to watch unless you enjoy prolonged shots with heightened audio of the main character chewing, scrubbing, appearing emotionless, and absolutely zero character development.

Anyone who gives this film a positive review is pretentious and fooled into thinking minimalism = quality film...a little hint...it doesn't.
½ February 16, 2012
it couldn't be worse!!! my god people, are you blind?????? i thought that there is nothing worse than "Men push car" but there is.... this one.
½ January 26, 2012
Has a great edge of your seat moment, but the ending isn't very well thought out.