The Day the Earth Stood Still - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Day the Earth Stood Still Reviews

December 4, 2016
I really liked this for the message: we are destroying our planet. It's true! Also, a great cast. A little slow but I like their imagining of how/why an advanced civilization would attack.
November 9, 2016
The special effects in 1951 were hokey fun. Here, in the first half of the movie anyway, they are hokey but they aren't fun.
November 9, 2016
Could it be 1/2 as good as the original?
½ November 6, 2016
Remake del clasico del mismo nombre de 1951, una mujer encuentra a un extraterrestre que es un emisario que intenta salvar la Tierra, pero en el proceso de salvar a la Tierra, podrķa traer graves consecuencias para la raza humana y podrķan solamente salvarse unos pocos elegidos.
November 5, 2016
Skip it and see the orginal black and white. While the 1951 version will lack the great FX the story is much better and the acting not as flat.
½ October 8, 2016
Get to watch it properly on Netflix through my 60 inch Smart TV and studio wired headphones. To see and listen this swarm-transforming giant robot like a swarm of ferocious bees sweep chaos in the city, there's just not enough trash-transforming destruction to keep destruction-loving fans glued to the screen, fans who tend to trash their possessions or house items out of anger ;;
September 22, 2016
If you are an unashamed movie geek like me and can recite "Klaatu Barada Nikto" and
"18, 24, 61, B, 17, 17, 4" (the data uplink code from The Running Man) without googling them, then you might like this film. Considering how bad the original film was, this is somewhat of a triumph.

There is a rather large whiff of "Neo" about Keanu's uninspired performance and Jennifer Connelly is as wooden as an extra from a Hulk movie but I have watched far worse. If your choice is between this and a film with a title that is a rip off of a blockbuster, "starring" ex-adult movie stars trying to be real actors, choose this.

Not good but not dire.
August 29, 2016
One of the worst films I have ever seen. Keanu Reeves' acting was soo wooden, I looked for termites. An absolutely ridiculous plot!
August 5, 2016
Disappointed. The original is superb but this just feels dull and reliant on special effects.
½ July 30, 2016
The special effects and acting serve the plot very well and offer some sense of immediacy and believability; unfortunately the films plot lacked the endurance or the meat and potatoes, and just stalled out in the end. As a constellation we do get a heavy dose of the beautiful Jennifer Connelly, who undeniably has become even more beautiful with time. Woo !
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Having never seen the original I can't tell you if it's better or worse, First off I thought the plot was intelligent and different to any other alien invasion movie it was told well but it felt like they didn't know how to end it and felt rushed and will probably leave most feeling abit let down, Keanu Reeves does an ok job but most of the time it feels like he's a robot not an alien so his style of acting wasn't helping the movie, I didn't care for Jaden Smiths character as I think kids in films like this are just annoying as 99 times out of 100 they survive so that also makes us difficult to get into the film as we all know kids ALWAYS survive, The effects were great and done well, There was very little action and I think just adding abit more especially with the giant robots would of gone down better with viewers, It's not a terrible movie it's just a let down as Hollywood seems to think that good effects can save a poor script.
July 16, 2016
other than it being a different story. I did like the effects
½ June 27, 2016
Crap.  Not recommended.
½ June 24, 2016
This is not really a remake of the 1951 movie of the same name. To say that it is "loosely based on it" seems like a more accurate description. Keanu REEVES is, as usual, emotionless and, strangely enough, has been given some impressive surnatural powers not at all unlike those he wields in The Matrix trilogy. Jaden SMITH has his trademark clueless look at all times. John CLEESE makes an excellent, yet brief appearance.
May 15, 2016
Atrocious. One of the worst "blockbusters" I've ever seen. It was lame, uninteresting, boring...any other synonyms of those words. Keanu Reeves half-assed his way through the movie (as usual) and Jennifer Connelly's way-too-serious stare into the distance can only get her so far. This movie never should have been redone.
½ May 13, 2016
This is a B movie (and not an enjoyable one) with a few A-list actors added in, nothing more, nothing less. Rarely do I find myself contemptuous of a movie, but in this case, it seems to match the contempt the director feels for his audience. Our intelligence is insulted at every opportunity with cardboard cut-out characters, lame dialogue, limp acting, and oh yes - people making stupid decisions. Don't you hate it when you're watching a movie and you say to yourself "that's silly, nobody would act like that?" Yeah, this movie is full of that. Not to mention your stereotypical precocious mouthy little brat that NOBODY finds cute - yet movie directors always seem to cast - replete with smarmy-ass dialogue that nobody under 16yo would articulate. Keanu Reeves deadpans his way through painfully stilted dialogue; with his weak speaking voice and complete lack of charisma, he is a terrible match for this part. Everybody else phones their performance in. And as for John Cleese... well, I hope he got a big fat paycheque for his role. I didn't expect to see him slumming in a movie of this (low) calibre. All in all, this movie is a fine example of bad movie-making.
½ May 6, 2016
A great story dumbed down for todays audiences. Keanu Reeves should have played Gort, he was so robotic. Jennifer Connelly is gorgeous though
April 5, 2016
The Day the Earth Stood Still is a mysterious, and even chilling, sci-fi mystery film... for the first act. Unfortunately, the film descends into a story that is not only overly familiar and formulaic, but also quite boring. The screenplay hits every plot point expected from films of this type, leaving a film that feels unnecessary, especially considering its a remake of a (much campier) film. It's a shame that the film is so narrative flawed, because director Scott Derrickson certainly has an eye for visual flair. Acting-wise, the film is hit-or-miss: Keanu Reeves gives a chilling, albeit stoic, performance as the mysterious otherworldly visitor, and Jennifer Connelly is great as always, but the supporting cast is either bland, or has their talent wasted. Jaden Smith in particular is pretty poor: it's easy to put his performance off due to him being a child actor, but he's simply not good enough to carry his material. It's definitely not a good sign when a desire to have a child character killed off is a recurring feeling. The Day the Earth Stood Still is a pretty big disappointment that's too slow and too formulaic to be worth watching. Stick to the original.
½ March 24, 2016
shite of the highest order