The Day the Earth Stood Still - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Day the Earth Stood Still Reviews

½ May 24, 2017
First things first I don't know why people hate this movie so much, I actually was shocked by how entertaining this movie is. Keanu Reeves, the girl from hulk and will Smith's kid for some odd reason. I still am shocked that they casted Jayden freaking Smith , him present day is a dumb teen who does dumb things. Now the answer to the question that everybody wants to know , what is better the Reboot of war of the worlds with Tom cruise or this movie with keanu Reeves. The answer is the day the earth stood wins because I wasn't bored at all in the movie. Yes their are some cheesy parts like when the alien metamorphs into Keanu Reeves. But besides that and Jayden Smith sucking the plot was not bad but not the best, just right in the middle.
May 17, 2017
It may have nice visual effects, but without the heart and message that made the 1951 version a classic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" it's just another Hollywood rehash that uses style over substance. Keanu Reeves looks bored in his role as Klatuu and Jaden Smith's character is so annoying that he make us wished he was dead. Why the father had to die? His role would have been more interesting than the son. If the film focused more on our humanity rather than the action, then we would care more about the characters and why is it okay to be human. Plus, it would have be fun to see Klatuu interact with several characters in our world, which would have been a humorous, yet heartwarming journey. Again, the concept is still great, but it's how you execute it that matters. Scott Derrickson failed to understand what the filmmakers did in the original film. But I'm glad he learned from his mistake after he did "Doctor Strange" for Marvel.
May 12, 2017
Yan's Mom Jennifer Saw This Movie And She Walked Out Of It During The Middle Of It, She Told Yan It Was So Bad And Awful, It Was New York Times Film Critic Jay Sherman's Tenth Worst Film Of 2008.
March 22, 2017
beastly movie. interesting story and different in a lot of ways. lots of amazing and memorable scenes. another perfect role for keanu's limited acting ability lol (ie. the matrix and john wick). lots of cool syfy-ish ideas (about 3 viewings)
February 2, 2017
I Really liked this film!
December 21, 2016
Really dull and far too long.
December 4, 2016
I really liked this for the message: we are destroying our planet. It's true! Also, a great cast. A little slow but I like their imagining of how/why an advanced civilization would attack.
November 9, 2016
The special effects in 1951 were hokey fun. Here, in the first half of the movie anyway, they are hokey but they aren't fun.
November 9, 2016
Could it be 1/2 as good as the original?
½ November 6, 2016
Remake del clasico del mismo nombre de 1951, una mujer encuentra a un extraterrestre que es un emisario que intenta salvar la Tierra, pero en el proceso de salvar a la Tierra, podrķa traer graves consecuencias para la raza humana y podrķan solamente salvarse unos pocos elegidos.
November 5, 2016
Skip it and see the orginal black and white. While the 1951 version will lack the great FX the story is much better and the acting not as flat.
½ October 8, 2016
Get to watch it properly on Netflix through my 60 inch Smart TV and studio wired headphones. To see and listen this swarm-transforming giant robot like a swarm of ferocious bees sweep chaos in the city, there's just not enough trash-transforming destruction to keep destruction-loving fans glued to the screen, fans who tend to trash their possessions or house items out of anger ;;
September 22, 2016
If you are an unashamed movie geek like me and can recite "Klaatu Barada Nikto" and
"18, 24, 61, B, 17, 17, 4" (the data uplink code from The Running Man) without googling them, then you might like this film. Considering how bad the original film was, this is somewhat of a triumph.

There is a rather large whiff of "Neo" about Keanu's uninspired performance and Jennifer Connelly is as wooden as an extra from a Hulk movie but I have watched far worse. If your choice is between this and a film with a title that is a rip off of a blockbuster, "starring" ex-adult movie stars trying to be real actors, choose this.

Not good but not dire.
August 29, 2016
One of the worst films I have ever seen. Keanu Reeves' acting was soo wooden, I looked for termites. An absolutely ridiculous plot!
August 5, 2016
Disappointed. The original is superb but this just feels dull and reliant on special effects.
½ July 30, 2016
The special effects and acting serve the plot very well and offer some sense of immediacy and believability; unfortunately the films plot lacked the endurance or the meat and potatoes, and just stalled out in the end. As a constellation we do get a heavy dose of the beautiful Jennifer Connelly, who undeniably has become even more beautiful with time. Woo !
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Having never seen the original I can't tell you if it's better or worse, First off I thought the plot was intelligent and different to any other alien invasion movie it was told well but it felt like they didn't know how to end it and felt rushed and will probably leave most feeling abit let down, Keanu Reeves does an ok job but most of the time it feels like he's a robot not an alien so his style of acting wasn't helping the movie, I didn't care for Jaden Smiths character as I think kids in films like this are just annoying as 99 times out of 100 they survive so that also makes us difficult to get into the film as we all know kids ALWAYS survive, The effects were great and done well, There was very little action and I think just adding abit more especially with the giant robots would of gone down better with viewers, It's not a terrible movie it's just a let down as Hollywood seems to think that good effects can save a poor script.
July 16, 2016
other than it being a different story. I did like the effects
½ June 27, 2016