The Day the Earth Stopped - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Day the Earth Stopped Reviews

February 17, 2014
good low budget sci-fi actioner
July 24, 2013
If only it starred my sci-fi hero, Will Smith.
November 4, 2012
This movie is so bad even the true critics have stayed away from it...Which is what all of us that actually sat through it should have done. (Spoiler Alert)...Bad guy runs up and jumps on the hood of an SUV and starts screaming get out of the car. You have the only working vehicle in this city...We watch bad guy jump in and drive away. Two seconds later we see a police car drive by in the background...Really only working vehicle in the city. The only decent thing about this movie is the Angelina Jolie looking alien. My recomendation would be to stay as far away from this crap as you can, unless you don't care about wasting 90 minutes of your life...
October 31, 2012
This film is being shown tonight on Dish 102 at 11:30 :), I never have seen it but im looking forward to watching it! :)
April 29, 2012
An interesting outlook on the alien perspective. Not at all what I was expecting.
March 20, 2012
I thought it was fairly decent for an Asylum film, but it could of done without all the nudity in the beginning. The story is rather touching but rips off a lot from The Day the Earth Stood Still, which it was suppose to, but in the end, it wasn't too bad. It also could of done without the blood from when the baby was born, even though it was a rather touching scene.
November 20, 2011
not interested ... looks bad
November 16, 2011
Really, Howell? You were in The Outsiders, man!
August 18, 2011
Spent most of this movie cringing and being embarrassed for C. Thomas Howell. Directed by, produced by, starring.... oh Tom... you were such a doll once but you never could act so, let's not try to bite off way more than we can chew. I'm thinking that the female lead was cast by Tom himself, hopeful to score some starlet booty before his big swan dive into oblivion. I can only assume that Judd Nelson was confused and thought this was The Day The Earth Stood Still Part II. Imagine the red faces when they screened this and saw just how bad it was. .
June 22, 2011
this movie is so amazing and the music in this movie is so beautiful
June 8, 2011
It was exactly what I thought it would be. Most of the population of the planet dies, the main characters are okay and are obviously saved. It was very predictable. It was also very untrue. There are a lot of things that simply would not stand up if this was an actual disaster.
June 8, 2011
½ May 13, 2011
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
½ May 3, 2011
I gave it a half star because Neo wasn't the lead character. "Dude, why would we lie to ourselves?"
½ March 15, 2011
Very meh, but watchable.
March 2, 2011
While inconsistent and clumsy, this movie isn't devoid of charm. A low-budget homage to the 1951 "The Day The Earth Stood Still" it came out around the same time as the modern remake but reaches out with a different message. This isn't about evolving on the brink of disaster - but how one can not reach a destination without undertaking a journey. It's about the journey!
October 11, 2010
If you thought the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still was bad, you might have missed this little beauty put out by The Asylum, makers of films copying Hollywood blockbusters... or mockbusters as we like to call them.
Truth be told, this is one of the better films I've seen from The Asylum. It does a decent job of telling the general story and the special FX are ok. I thought the giant robots in this film were a lot cooler than either of the "Stood Still" pictures.
Where this film lost me was in two parts. First is the acting. Asylum pictures are notorious for lame acting but this one seemed exceptionally bad for some reason. Maybe it's the whole emotional saving of the planet aspect where we have to convince the aliens we're worth saving. That needs some serious acting chops to be pulled off and if you thought Reeves did a bad job... you haven't seen anything yet.
But if that wasn't bad enough... most the film takes place in a, get this, abandoned industrial building. So when aliens land on planet Earth, apparently the US government is going to set up in some warehouse area, bringing make-shift gear, and make first contact. It's not going to be at the Pentagon, White House, Area 51, NASA, NORAD, a military base, or any of the more likely places. Nope, according to this movie, the military and government are going to set up some laptops in an abandoned building (apparently an old jail or something) and deal with the problem there. Riiiiight.
Over the Rising Sun
September 11, 2010
Any movie made by the direct-to-video production company The Asylum is shit. That's a law of nature. And so why should this ridiculously titled rip off of a lame remake be any different?

The acting, particularly C. Thomas Howell and Darren Dalton, borders on absurd; seeing that most of the emotions that they try to show are awkward and obviously fake. The rest of the cast, including the extras (especially a couple that they meet at the end) are laughably bad.

Though there is no talent displayed in this film, there is a reason you should watch it. And that reason is Sinead McCafferty. She is unbelievably hot. Her character is a mysterious humanoid alien with no logic whatsoever, and the director acknowledges that by having her strut around nude for several minutes (boobies!) and wear very tight pants/t-shirt.

Whoever wrote the script for this must have thought that they were fucking Shakespeare, because the dialogue is full attempts at clever allegories and slang. Note that I said "attempts". The characters are one dimensional and the plot progresses with no sense of reality. To be honest all of the plot twists didn't work and from the beginning to the end you're not fully sure of what's going on.

This film was obviously on a low budget, and like all human beings I can accept that. But, the problem with this film is that it believes it's on a big budget. First of all, the entire film takes place in a four block radius in the outskirts of LA, and throughout many of the tedious car chases you can see them passing the same street sign over and over again. Second of all, the main characters are obviously of some great political and military importance, and it's never explained why they have to be operating from a small building in the outskirts of LA. Third of all, the special effects could have been made better by a five year old because every scene with the robots looks like a fucking Powerpoint presentation and even someone in kindergarten knows that the physics that an Atomic Bomb doesn't burst into flames and a simple handgun doesn't have a recoil that launches into the shooter's face.

Perhaps the point at which this film fails the most is at how poorly it's made. I already touched on the special effects and the film editing, but there are a few more things that stick out so much that you can't help but grin. In one scene, a crazed local hijacks the main character's car because he says that their car is the only one he's seen. Seconds later, you see a car pass by in the distance. Another film fail, and my personal favorite, is the reflection of the camera crew in the car door after a final tedious car chase. Aside from these, there are many awkward silences and emotions that make most of the acting so bad that it's enjoyable to watch.

I know I'm bashing the hell out of this movie, but I will admit that if I shut my brain off and wasn't expecting a total shitfest than maybe this wouldn't have been as unbearable as it was. The fight scenes, the romance, the story; there's nothing at all special about the movie, in fact it's very bleak, but if you're someone who's looking for some dumb (extremely dumb, mind you) fun, you may certainly find it here.

I must say C. Thomas Howell (who also directed) must have thought himself as Jesus Christ when he made this movie, but sadly I must deny him that dream and say that this film sucks on a sub-human level. For the stupid, non-logical excuse for a science fiction epic, I give it an 18/100, but because of Sinead McCafferty and her godlike hottness, I give this a 21/100
August 27, 2010