Day the World Ended Reviews

• Aug 12, 2016

Movies about disease, war, and nuclear fallout destroying the world is and then having to survive in the aftermath is nothing new. This is one of the first of its kind to my mind, and while interesting, time has brought us much more memorable of the types of films to make this one more or less forgettable. Still worth a watch if you love classic scifi and have a love of these kind of movies.

• Jul 05, 2016

I really enjoyed this a lot more than I had anticipated. Early Corman films are great fun to watch, as he's just bursting with ideas and is filled with reckless abandon. The film would make an intriguing twin-bill with Vincent Price's 'Last Man on Earth' for a fine night's viewing of post-apocalyptic mayhem...

• Apr 19, 2015

I can safely say that this pic is one of the worst of Roger Corman's carrier. It actually had potential, and some good material to work with. It could've been a good reflection on the dangers of the atomic bomb. But unfortunately the script is bad, the scientific accuracy in this film makes no sense what so ever, the characters are moronic and the acting is fucking terrible. And I must say that the extremely cheesy effects don't help. Overall, this B, science-fiction film is just plain ridiculous. Only Corman in his early days would be capable of making something this nonsensical. Don't waste your time on it...

• May 10, 2014

• Aug 19, 2012

Roger Corman brings us another low budget sci-fi flick, this time cashing in on the popular atomic age scare stories. Corman's tale is about a group of survivors following a nuclear exchange, who predictably end up at war with each other and also find themselves fighting a silly looking costumed radioactive mutant. Only worth watching for die hard Corman fans. If you want a better nuclear scare film from the height of the cold war, watch Ray Milland in "Panic in Year Zero!" or Harry Belafonte in "The World, the Flesh and the Devil".

• Jun 02, 2012

Years later there was another movie made with the late Vincent Price titled The Last Man On Earth (1964), which both movies seem to have a lot of similarities, but The Last Man On Earth was better. The monster in this film looks really silly. This is your typical silly and campy 1950s Sci Fi movie.

• Nov 27, 2011

Enjoyable hokum about a small group who have survived atomic armageddon in a valley protected by lead deposits. Paul Birch and Richard Denning are square jawed and rational about the future while a mutated three eyed rubber creature that looks rather like Roger Delgado stalks Lori Nelson as she swims.

• Nov 16, 2011

Roger Corman directs this film where a small group of people struggle to survive in a house while radio active mutants are closing in on them. Well, one radio active mutant. The movie is boring.

• Jun 29, 2011

I am a surviving monkey on your animal boat. In the future a nuclear war leads to most of the human race being eliminated. One fortunate family resides in a small valley away from the nuclear overcast. Several other survivors wander to their home and risk the survival of the family. Will the new group of individuals survive, or will those infected by the nuclear radiation wander onto the farm and kill everyone? "Scream and I'll cut." Roger Corman, director of Bloody Mama, The Tomb of Ligeia, The Terror, The Raven, The Haunted Palace, Pit and the Pendulum, The Trip, Gunslinger, and The Little Shop of Horrors (1960), delivers The Day the World Ended. This picture contains a storyline that is fun and classic to the science fiction genre. While the content is not overly original, the execution of the plot is solid and the acting is worthwhile. The cast includes Mike Connors, Richard Denning, Lori Nelson, and Adele Jergens. "Man has done his best to destroy himself." Unfortunately, I saw this picture after the remake (In the Year 2889). The premise for this film is well delivered and entertaining. The character delivery is outstanding and reminded me of a Romero film. Overall, this isn't a great movie but it is a solid addition to the science fiction genre. I do recommend seeing this picture if you are a fan of the sci-fi pictures. "Happy landing, sweet heart." Grade: C+/B- (6.75)

• Jun 10, 2011

The ending is interesting, but there is an hour of boring humans debating survival. I do enjoy the hokey monster.