Reviews

• Mar 28, 2021

One of the better anti-Cold War flicks of the 50s, with some added soap-opera-type side drama to fill the void. The movie does not attempt to fill the screen with wide technicolor visuals like 'This Island Earth' (1958) or 'World of the Wars' (1954). It's satisfied with presenting a possible utter dreadfulness of a post-apocalyptic future. The fact that the characters could convince the viewer that civilization has been flushed down the toilet (which in itself is difficult to conceive)-- from a small remote valley where only disturbing hints of the devastation is seen-- was quite a task, and it worked. The destruction of all we know is left to the imagination --which could provide an even worse scenario. Unlike most contemporary schlock of the era, the characters were taut and serious and therefore believable. Few science-fiction yarns ever reached this level of seriousness, with 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' or 'When Worlds Collide' being examples of pure serious adult-level syfy. It's interesting how they explained the monster in the film, as he seems misplaced and added as an extra horror gimmick. And how does he happen to have mental telepathic powers? Jim, the seemingly cold-hearted landlord, spoke of a son who was lost. For a time, Jim's daughter Louise was the only person who could hear the monster calling her. Recall the drawings of the horribly disfigured creatures Jim hesitantly presented to Rick; one was a monkey with three eyes, four arms, and unnaturally hardened skin. This was a hint of the missing son's new appearance, Apparently, realizing his horrific appearance, the son remained in the shadows attempting to communicate telepathically with his sister. The brother-sister bond was quite strong. We have to believe that his severe exposure to intense fallout had increased his mental capabilities, also. The script, quite happy to play on our fears of radically altered human physiology in a nightmarish nuclear aftermath, was clever enough not give you the true identity of the creature. This, alone, gives it three stars.

• Jan 28, 2021

RICHARD DENNING handsome as ever. But the PLOT was laborious and boring. The Monster costume was ridiculable. MIKE ('TOUCH') CONNORS (MANNIX) was the bad guy. Would not recommend this, except that it was ROGER CORMAN. TV guide sd it was a flesheating zombie movie, but not much.

• Nov 02, 2020

An interesting film that tells the tale of a group of people trapped inside a house that is shielded by hills during a nuclear fallout. The humans caught in the last turn to flesh-eating monsters and the residents who are squabbling between themselves and dwindling food supplies also have to fight off the mutants

• Mar 13, 2020

I thought it was way better than a 42% audience rating, yet at the same time i can't dispute that was what it received from the audience that viewed it.

• Aug 12, 2016

Movies about disease, war, and nuclear fallout destroying the world is and then having to survive in the aftermath is nothing new. This is one of the first of its kind to my mind, and while interesting, time has brought us much more memorable of the types of films to make this one more or less forgettable. Still worth a watch if you love classic scifi and have a love of these kind of movies.

• Jul 05, 2016

I really enjoyed this a lot more than I had anticipated. Early Corman films are great fun to watch, as he's just bursting with ideas and is filled with reckless abandon. The film would make an intriguing twin-bill with Vincent Price's 'Last Man on Earth' for a fine night's viewing of post-apocalyptic mayhem...

• Apr 19, 2015

I can safely say that this pic is one of the worst of Roger Corman's carrier. It actually had potential, and some good material to work with. It could've been a good reflection on the dangers of the atomic bomb. But unfortunately the script is bad, the scientific accuracy in this film makes no sense what so ever, the characters are moronic and the acting is fucking terrible. And I must say that the extremely cheesy effects don't help. Overall, this B, science-fiction film is just plain ridiculous. Only Corman in his early days would be capable of making something this nonsensical. Don't waste your time on it...

• May 10, 2014

• Aug 19, 2012

Roger Corman brings us another low budget sci-fi flick, this time cashing in on the popular atomic age scare stories. Corman's tale is about a group of survivors following a nuclear exchange, who predictably end up at war with each other and also find themselves fighting a silly looking costumed radioactive mutant. Only worth watching for die hard Corman fans. If you want a better nuclear scare film from the height of the cold war, watch Ray Milland in "Panic in Year Zero!" or Harry Belafonte in "The World, the Flesh and the Devil".

• Jun 02, 2012

Years later there was another movie made with the late Vincent Price titled The Last Man On Earth (1964), which both movies seem to have a lot of similarities, but The Last Man On Earth was better. The monster in this film looks really silly. This is your typical silly and campy 1950s Sci Fi movie.