Daylight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daylight Reviews

½ October 13, 2014
Without any certainty of expectations for Daylight, I went into it simple because it was headlined by Sylvester Stallone.

I know what I like in disaster films. At the least, I hope for cheap fun out of the special effects, a focus more on the disaster than on characters, and perhaps at least one slightly compelling character. Since Sylvester Stallone easily established that I would find at least one character compelling, all that was left from there was for Daaylight to acquire an interesting disaster concept and some good visuals. As with the average disaster film, Daylight is packed with many different stock characters who are all relatively meaningless and that viewers are unlikely to find a connection to, but the fact is that there are a lot of interesting settings and situations explored in the film which make it thrilling. While the insufficient script and cheap characters make it fail to succeed on much of a human level, it does at least carry a good protagonist.
The disaster concept in Daylight is somewhat interesting. It lacks the exciting potential of a lot of other big budget disaster films, but it is of a somewhat realistic manner which is what makes it effective. Of course a lot of the ridiculous heroism and scientific accuracy is unrealistic, but viewers must be willing to suspend disbelief and rational thought to enjoy a disaster film. For me, I was easily able to do that. I was bothered by the fact that there was not so much of a consistent feeling of death hanging over the characters. The movement of the film was constantly changing between quick moving scenes depicting explosions and fires, before changing to slow paced scenes with either melodrama or slow movements through the tunnels where every character has to complete some feat which is not that impressive. All in all, the focus of the story is constantly changing and the stituations are always varying, with some being exciting and others being rather dull so as a whole the film is inconsistent. The script is poor form due to all of its one-dimensional characters and weak dialogue as well as the fact that it doesn't really have a story while instead just having a series of disastrous situations, as well as the fact that its cheap attempts at characters are really not that effective whatsoever. This is somewhat problematic because the story is a relatively medium scaled one, focusing both on the survival of its characters and the inconsistent rate of disasters occuring. So the level of humanity in the film is better than in many disaster films of the 1990's era, but it still doesn't leave much of an impact. As a whole, the entire film is a rather routine and basic exercise in disaster cinema with elements of being a thriller at the same time. The situations can get boring, and there is not much beyong the surface appeal to save that.
Daylight is pretty much as good and bad as you'd expect. It has Rob Cohen as director which means that it is not very big on narrative and is a lot more focused on visuals, but luckily enough he is able to stage some impressive stunts thanks to some good scenery and production design elements, as well as the strong cinematography and editing incorporated in. The sound effects are also strong and benefit from some firm editing. So as a whole, while Daylight may not be the most exciting disaster film, it carries its basic concept far enough with strong visual elements and a mild sense of spirit. So it isn't really a guilty pleasure type film since it takes itself seriously and mostly succeeds. And though it is far from great, it is entertaining enough to pass.
The atmosphere is pretty engaging. Although the script makes the film feel somewhat artificial, the dedication from the actors manage to convey a certain extent of fearful stress in the situation. They aren't all spot on, but the majority of them make a good effort. But also, the musical score has a really strong disaster feel to it. It is intense and grasps the dark nature of the situations which bring the themes to the surface easily.
When it comes down to the cast, most of them make a decent effort. But no matter what the Golden Raspberry awards say, Sylvester Stallone is the finest cast member in Daylight. Sylvester Stallone stands extremely confident in his role. In comparison to all the other meaningless stock characters of the film, Kit Latura is the only one who stands out. While lhis lines are generic, Sylvester Stallone seamlessly steps into the role with confidence and delivers every line with a sense of charisma which suggests he understands the material all well. He is able to use his skill for firm line delivery to give a sense of understanding to his character as well as his status as a great action hero to make him the hero that Daylight really needs. He uses his muscles to a strong extent while bringing his natural heroic archetype to the role to give it a sense of aggressively determined spirit. He has a certan level of passion in the role and seems both wise and strong which is a good combination for the character. Sylvester Stallone makes a genial presence as the lead in Daylight, and he keeps things firm and serious.
Ammy Brennerman can get annoying at times though and doesn't exactly seem as if she grasps the character fully.

So Daylight is a pretty routine disaster film. It has cheap characters and a weak script, but Sylvester Stallone leading the journey and some impressive technical elements.
½ October 10, 2014
Guilty pleasure. I love it, but it's all kinds of corny and clichéd.. haha
September 21, 2014
Average & Entertaining Disaster Flick From Director Rob Cohen. The Action Takes Place In An Underwater Road Tunnel After A Chemical Explosion. This Film Obviously Features Most Of The Disaster Clichés, But Its The Well Written Script Combined With Its Basic Plot & Decent Cast Performances Which Makes This An Enjoyable Film, And Is One Of Stallone's More Dramatic Performances.
September 10, 2014
Lo mejor que hizo Stallone en los 90's fue Cliffhanger y Cop Land esta pelìcula es una de las peores.
½ September 2, 2014
Only good when you're a kid. Now, not so much.
½ August 17, 2014
Underrated this is a bloody good film
July 27, 2014
First of all, the major problem of the movie is how the police force deal with the motorists outside the tunnel, ha? Then, we see some Stallone heroic act than a Stallone characteristic or the tension and suspense towards the people trapped there in that tunnel. Poor film.
June 15, 2014
Daylight is a piss-poor excuse for a movie; pretty much everything about it is bad. The script feels like it was written by a teenager, almost the whole cast can't act (except Sly and Viggo), and the scenes defy any simple scientific laws and instead do only what the director wants them to do. It's one of those "why are they just standing there, go!" kinds of movies where everything is fake and manipulated. Rob Cohen has yet to prove himself as a director, and I'm starting to think he never will.
April 24, 2014
Just a fun and ridiculous movie
April 19, 2014
Back when it came out and I watched it young thought it was cool...re watching it I found the acting to be over the top cheesy and so cliché like. I guess the idea is kinda cool; people stuck in a burning tunnel. How it got to that point was dumb and once everyone was down there fighting for survival the cheesyness level was so over the top all the fun was taken out.
½ March 13, 2014
Efforts were made...
½ February 24, 2014
What's not to love? It's an action flick, not Shakespeare. The dialogue is awful, the characterizations are laughable, the explosions are cool, and Stallone is a hunky piece of eye candy as usual, totally compensating for his lack of acting ability. Don't read too much into this. Just sit back and enjoy the cliches!
February 1, 2014
watching right now!!!!!one of my fav movies!!!!
January 3, 2014
I shock myself that I found myself entertained by this modern day Poseidon Adventure. For this KIND of movie (and we don't have many these days) it was above average.
½ November 24, 2013
A premise that begins with coincidences colliding and literally exploding, leaving a group of survivors to battle the collapsing tunnel,some pissed off elements, the engineers on the outside, and each other as they make a frantic bid for their lives. The film ventures into cliche territory a few times but for the most part it stays on track with ample tension and jaw-dropping set pieces. Stalone proves to be more than capable as the hero even when the predictable backstory threatens to derail his credibility among his charges. It gets over the top particular as the film barrels towards its conclusion but it still is very much an exciting, worthwhile ride.
November 16, 2013
I own this on DVD and Blu-Ray
September 2, 2013
Although I'm not a Stallone fan by any means, this movie was not all that bad by any means,
August 20, 2013
You can never go wrong with Sylvester Stallone. The man is one of the most successful men in the history of entertainment and for good reason. He puts out things people want to see. So what if it isn't as artsy fartsy as Titanic or some lame Tom Cruise movie, it's entertaining. Stallone excels at entertaining audiences with his acting, screenplays, and directing and has been doing it for nearly 40 years. This is an intense disaster flick that doesn't pull any punches. Daylight, for me, is a fantastically entertaining movie. A great cast, good special effects, and a story that keeps you guessing. Stallone nails it again!
August 18, 2013
a story of teamwork and hope.
½ August 14, 2013
Did I enjoy myself while watching it? Yeah, sure. Would I ever rewatch it? Probably not. And that's really what it comes down to. This big budget Hollywood disaster movie serves its purpose, but won't go down in history as a classic. It was cool to see young Danielle Harris in something other than the Halloween movies, though.