Giorni e Nuvole (Days and Clouds) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Giorni e Nuvole (Days and Clouds) Reviews

½ July 8, 2009
eine grandiose Margherita Buy. wunderbar.
June 30, 2009
Michele and Elsa dare to hug in Genova's cloudiest days. I don't know who was sadder or more exposed in the shower scene. Desperation doesn't take sides. Make sure you'll be in good company when you start watching this film. If not, open a bottle of wine (and a box of Kleenex!).
June 14, 2009
I like how the movie doesn't end with a blatant happily-ever-after scene. Instead, the uncovered fresco offers the audience realistic hope. Priceless.
May 23, 2009
To sum up this movie in one word: depressing.

The movie was presented very well. I really could feel what each character was going through. Their life was torn down in a instant.

I'll contradict a "critic" in saying that sometimes having each other isn't enough and I think this movie displayed that brilliantly.

The sun doesn't always come out tomorrow for some.
½ May 9, 2009
A tad slow and uneventful, but has a big heart. "The Pursuit of Happyness" was a bit more emotionally charged and more filled with conflict than this film. Still, the idea of love conquering all resonates with the viewer long after the credits have rolled.
½ April 27, 2009
You really have to be in the right mood to watch this movie, since it is depressing for about 90% of it - and it's in subtitles. The movie is set in Genoa, Italy, and it's about an older couple who seem to have everything. They are affluent, he is co-owner of his own business, and she just went back to get an advanced degree. All is great.

Then, after the the graduation celebration, she wakes to find out that her husband has been unemployed for the last two months. From then on, it all goes down hill. He gets some a job offer, but it too proud to take it, since it's for about 1/2 what he was making before. They start selling off stuff. They move to a cheaper place. She takes a job at a call center, and then a second job. Eventually it takes a toll on their marriage.

The ending offers a little hope that they might be OK, but given everything that lead up to it, it seems dubious. Sadly, it seems like this story could very easily be translated into English, given the current state of the economy. I doubt it will, since no one would see a movie as blatantly depressing as this one. That being said, I watched it, so I guess someone would.
½ April 12, 2009
Molto premonitorio della situazione di molte famiglie o coppie in questo anno di crisi.
½ March 4, 2009
In the current economic clime, this is just the sort of movie we should be watching. Although this is a hopeful film, it doesn't compromise the story of an upper middle class couple who both suddenly find themselves without employment and who have to make do with less.
March 2, 2009
Beautifully done, and hard to watch in present times, since it feels like it could happen to you at any moment.
February 17, 2009
well acted good story
½ February 7, 2009
A fairly boring Italian movie which follows a middle-aged man who has lost his job.
December 20, 2008
Pretty good movie capturing the personal and financial struggles faced by a married couple after the husband announces to his wife that he lost his job two months earlier.

Elsa, the wife, also has to face the idea of giving up her passion of uncovering and restoring a potentially valuable fresco in an old building in order to take on paying jobs to make ends meet. Michele, the husband, struggles with finding a job and starts down a path of complacency, hopelessness, and anger.

The film shows what can be lost during times of financial crisis and what needs to be preserved.

DVD is available with the title "Days and Clouds" (Italian language with English subtitles).
December 11, 2008
Well written and acted tale of an executive and spouse having to endure stresses due to changing financial circumstances.
½ November 24, 2008
Wonderful study of marriage & the ties that bind us. I look forward to more SSoldini directed films.
November 17, 2008
This look of a deteriorating marriage during difficult economic times must really hit home for many couples during the current global financial crisis. Although fairly straight forward in its storytelling, the movie is unsparing in showing how precarious a position people are in between being well-off and just getting by.
October 27, 2008
Bello vedere un film italiano trasmesso nei cinema all'estero - non capita proprio tutti i giorni. Bello anche vedere Genova! Il film in sé, invece, l'ho trovato un po' lento e deprimente: ho aspettato la svolta positiva per piú di un'ora, peró non é mai arrivata... I protagonisti bravi nelle loro parti (anche se devo ancora abituarmi ad un Albanese attore impegnato).
½ October 17, 2008
Bello rivedere Genova!! Il film fatto bene ma la storia un po' troppo deprimente. La Buy brava e anche tosta nella sua parte. Anche Albanese mi e' piaciuto, ma il personaggio un po' meno....
September 23, 2008
Molto triste, in una plumbea e grigia Genova dove persone che credono/sperano di aver raggiunto uno status sociale soddisfacente si trovano senza nulla. Purtroppo un impietoso sguardo sull'Italietta di oggi. Lo consiglio.
½ September 9, 2008
"Antonio Albanese" made a good performance as Michele. Tough story but the screenplay was going in a circle boringly.
September 8, 2008
A me è piaciuto, ben fatto, bravi gli attori ha saputo con delicatezza trattare un tema scottante come quello del precariato a tratti commuovendo ma anche facendo molto sorridere.