Days of Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Days of Heaven Reviews

August 8, 2015
Breathtaking cinematography and scenography flooded in Ennio Morricone music.
½ August 2, 2015
Painfully boring and tedious.
½ July 20, 2015
While boasting poetic, vast rural landscape of America, Days of Heaven does not have strong or gripping narrative to balance. It ends up being an ephemeral, fleeting slice of life: poignant and beautiful but not necessarily having a lasting strong impression.
July 9, 2015
A masterpiece of mood and cinematography. Brilliantly evocative and mesmerizing. Astoundingly beautiful to behold. Linda Manz's dreamlike narration puts you in a trance! One of my Top-10 All-Time Favorite Films...!
July 4, 2015
It would be close to 5 years before Terrence Malick would follow up his groundbreaking and unforgettable, Badlands.

Days of Heaven presents a more mature vision, but an evolving perspective on reality that retains grounding through the insightful but limited perspective of a child's musings of a past that seems to have either immediately occurred or happened not too long ago.

The tone and plot of Days of Heaven is quite different in respect to Badlands. Yet there is stream of cinematic thought that connects both films.

Where Badlands was an almost detached view of reality, Days of Heaven takes the form of a cinematic poem connected to the characters by a child whose life has required her to adapt a slightly skewed version of an adult.

While it never quite soars to the level of Badlands -- it clearly soars to what Malick intended. This would be the last time Malick approached humanity from what I would term a "human emotional" perspective. Malick's style would and continues to sprout further into the realm of the experimental with aspects of "nature" and even "metaphysical" replacing the less challenging perspectives presented here and in Badlands.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. But Malick's cinematic perspective no longer blend easily with Humanity, Surrealism or Experimental Film. After this movie Malick's films have become polarizing. How an individual manages to access understanding and connection to his work has now become more radical.

From my perspective this is sad. He has never managed to capture humanity as simply as he did with his second and third movies.

It is interesting to me that Lynda Manz's character delivered one narrative line that I so seared into my then 11 year old mind that I can still recite it easily today:

"I was hopin' things would work out for her. She was a good friend of mine." ...and the meanings/powers of the line have changed over the span of my life.
½ June 30, 2015
Beautiful cinematography, score, editing, setting, and themes.
However, the story never really seems to become much of anything.
The beginning is horribly rushed and the great meaning is somewhat blunted by the film's lack of involving storytelling and mostly simple plot.
This could have been so much more.
Days of Heaven is a beautifully made film, but not a beautifully written one.
7.5/10 (B)
April 30, 2015
My full opinion: I wouldn't say that this film got to me all the way through, but the story is good, Ennio Morricone's music is beautiful, and the cinematography by Nestor Almendros is really breathtaking, which i'm glad that it won an Oscar for that. 8.2/10
March 23, 2015
Sublime poetry riding the new american cinema. Malick is letting the pictures talk in total universal scale. A love triangle kneeling into the arms of the earth. Sensual cinematic and spiritual story huzzling into the endless wound of love. Unsettling distraction of the unknown psyche, tormenting the vermin.
March 3, 2015
I guess I needed to watch this when it was new and had this movie to compare to others at the time. It's slow and there isn't a lot going on that would compel me to get attached to any of the characters. I found myself getting annoyed with the way it was filmed- I would have rather had more substance and dialogue with the the character building instead of all of the cut aways to birds and other random field creatures. Should I feel more sorry for the birds that died in this film? They had as much screen time as some of the actors and it felt like I was watching Nat Geo at times. Without the really odd narrative from the girl there wouldn't have been any cohesive movie at all. I'll stick with Gone With the Wind.
March 2, 2015
As with all Malick films, "Days of Heaven" contains gorgeous visuals, existential musings, commentary on American life, etc.The story is barebones; Malick's camera hovers and zooms in unexpected ways, allowing the viewer to remain an objective observer experiencing human interactions in lovely, nuanced ways. If you're willing to engage with what he gives you, its a wonderfully rewarding piece of work.
February 21, 2015
Although this was my first watch of the classic Malick film I was captured by the sheer beauty of the visuals and ebb and flow of the plot. Although it was a slow pace film and seems at first glance more tradition, Days of Heaven is riveting film filled of subdued but nuanced passion and emotion. Look forward to watching this again and digging deeper into this film.
½ February 7, 2015
best photography ever or in the top 5 of all times
½ February 4, 2015
Terrence Malick followed his debut film with this beautiful film (visually speaking) about a man who flees Chicago after accidentally murdering a man, and take his girlfriend and sister along with him. To avoid gossip, I guess, he tells people his girlfriend is his sister, and this causes a series of unfortunate events to unfold, including her marrying the farmer they come to work for (believing he doesn't have long to live and they could inherit his farm). The film is short on story really...it has a simple straightforward plot, but the cinematography is gorgeous and every frame looks excellent.
February 2, 2015
A visually stunning epic of passion and desire.
January 30, 2015
You could hang almost any shot of this movie on a wall and call it art. Full review later.
January 24, 2015
This was a re-watch. A beautiful, tragic movie.
½ January 19, 2015
A breathtakingly beautiful movie about love and violence that show nature as an indifferent, ever-changing landscape. While our petty squabbles and minute problems burden us at every second, nature flows freely, without care and without concern.
January 15, 2015
There is a deceptively simple story that thinly wraps this film on a superficial level, but inside there is a beating heart full to the brim with passion. The poetry with which this movie explores the human condition is awe-inspiring. Through and through, this is truly one of the best examples of film-making I have ever been witness to.
½ December 30, 2014
A screen poem about life at the turn of the century recalled through the eyes of a child. My first viewing left me confused and slightly angry at what I saw to be a muddled narrative, coated with typical Malick flourishes but the second and third viewing had me coming close to labeling it a masterpiece. Watching it for a second and third time I realized that this film is the memory of a small girl. We never get a fully constructed narrative because the love triangle between The Farmer, Bill and Abby is seen from the outside looking in, through the eyes of Linda (a 12 year old girl). So the only information were getting is what Linda saw or imagined. What were left with is a tender remembrance of a time and place near to this girls heart that is both beautiful and enigmatic, continually floating just beyond our grasp.