De Aanslag (The Assault) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

De Aanslag (The Assault) Reviews

May 29, 2016
One of the best Dutch World War II films. A traumatic experience in the final months of the year emerges through the years of Anton Steenwijk's life. Winner of the Oscar for best foreign film.
February 8, 2013
Great Dutch film based on a novel by Dutch writer Harry Mulisch. We got to learn Anton Steenwijk, a boy who lives in occupied Holland. When a German Nazi is killed, his neighbours drags the body in front of Anton's house. Because of this, Anton got 'arrested' and taken away. His parents and brother are getting killed. What follows is the rest of Anton's life. With flashforwards and flashbacks we get to learn the real reason of all the things that happened that night when his family was killed.
½ October 14, 2008
Excellent Oscar winning Foreign Film from Netherlands set during the final days of World War II. A Nazi officer is killed at night and an innocent family is accused of killing him, so all but the 12 year old protagonist Anton are murdered. As the years go by, Anton learns more about that night and tries to understand what happened. My favorite moments are when Anton was 12, the young actor did a wonderful job. There are a lot of great moments throughout, especially when things start to unravel, and the final twenty minutes or so are excellent. A very well made film, I'm glad I got my hands on this one.
July 3, 2008
want to see this because it won best foreign-language film at the oscars and best foreign-language film at the golden globes
May 12, 2008
Great book and movie
March 18, 2008
Very good film, defenarly when you have read the book, brilliant
February 28, 2008
i thought it would be boring but i was wrong...... pretty sad..
November 28, 2007
Many people who love films want to foist and epic on you. For me, this is probably that film. When I went to see it at the New Community Cinema, I knew I was seeing a so-called "good" film. What I didn't realize is that I would be watching an emotional tour de force which brought together the Holocaust and the anti-nuclear movement, and made me weep.
October 29, 2007
An even better book.
½ October 3, 2007
Covering a huge time sloth from about WWII till the early 80-ties, Mulisch and Rademaker present aA sensitive portrait of the generation which was born around World War 2, and Dutch society afterwards. The unexpected simplicity of the reason why it all happened is as brilliant as real life.
September 12, 2007
The book is a classic in Dutch literature. It shows a lot about how the second world war impacted on the Dutch.
½ August 19, 2007
Heel interressant film.
½ July 26, 2007
The proof a great book can result in a great movie!