De Man die zijn haar kort liet knippen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

De Man die zijn haar kort liet knippen Reviews

½ September 23, 2012
A strange film that stumbles between reality and dream (we never know exactly if what we see is imagined or real), "The Man who had his Haircut Short" is nevertheless a beautiful and profound work of art about the meaning of obsession and its role in our lives. Highly recommended.
August 16, 2012
mooie Vlaamse film over obsessie, een klassieker
ElCochran90
August 10, 2011
A disturbing glimpse into a fact still present nowadays is wonderfully developed into a nightmarish obsession that surpasses the boundaries of reality itself. It was made ambiguous intentionally to question the motives of the character. We are not offered to understand the protagonist's mind; the homework, however, consists in unravelling the reasons behind his actions. Whether you like it or not, we have all been there (although not necessarily because of a younger woman), and will be again in an uncertain future. It's impossible to fully escape an obsession through the means of oblivion.

99/100
½ April 15, 2011
Hey flixster, get "The Man Who Had His Hair Cut Short" recognized as the title, I can't remember how to spell this freaking thing in French. Anyway, creepy teacher-student relations.
November 15, 2010
The movie that is credited with bringing Belgian cinema into modernism, and with developing the Belgian "magical realism" style, whereby very ordinary people in very ordinary situations are enhanced with eerie "magical" happenings, that are still treated as everyday aspects of life.

Watching it, you can tell where it probably inspired Belgian film students for generations to come, indeed shaping a lot of the movies that followed it in style, plot, cinematography, characters, etc. Since the lead character never quite knows what is real and what isn't, neither does the viewer, but once you've settled into the groove of "wait, what?" and go with it, there are some riveting scenes, such as the one where Govert confronts Fran at a hotel.

That being said, this was made by the BRT in 1966, and in between the riveting scenes, there's a lot of long stretching dull and overpronounced Standard Dutch that may not be easy to sit through for everyone.
½ August 18, 2009
A high-school teacher loves one of his students and he is obsessed with her. When she finishes school, he quits and moves and changes his job to forget about her. The camera follows the teacher all the time, black and white cinematography is great as well as the acting by Senne Rouffaer. I don't know if Coen Brothers were influenced by this but it reminded me "The Man Who Wasn't There", not only because of its name, but because of the character, editing and the cinematography. Very interesting movie shot in style but the ending was a bit weird.
½ August 17, 2009
WEB-LETTERBOX. Obtiene muy buenos resultados cuando trabaja los silencios, pero se desmorona cuando sus personajes abren la boca para decir cosas "profundas". Trata de caminar en territorio de Bergman, pero se queda corto. / Gets very good results when it works in silences, but falls apart when its characters open their mouths to say "profound" things. Tries to walk in Bergman territory, but falls short.
½ July 29, 2009
There is something about Belgian cinema that makes you consciously avoid it.
The philosophy of it all, perhaps. Why film?
February 16, 2009
Atmospheric Flemish movie from 1966, about a school teacher whose feelings for one of his students overshadow his entire life. Technically a bit messy, but worth it for the captivating barber's scene and the weird open-air autopsy, and the philosophical musings from the protagonist.