De jueves a domingo (Thursday Till Sunday) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

De jueves a domingo (Thursday Till Sunday) Reviews

themoviewaffler.com
½ March 27, 2013
Ana (Giannini) and Papa (Perez-Bannen) wake their two young kids, Lucia (Ahumada) and Manuel (Freifeld), early one Thursday morning and set off from their home in Santiago, Chile. So begins a long weekend trip to the north of the country. At first thrilled with the idea of a family excursion, ten-year-old Lucia slowly begins to realize all may not be well with her parents' relationship as the struggling couple attempt to put on a brave face for their children's benefit.
The idea of viewing adult issues from a child's eyes is rarely handled well by film-makers. Usually the child character becomes a vessel for the creator's agenda, often through a crude narrative voice-over, resulting in an unrealistically insightful child. Last year we had two horrific examples of this trend in 'Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close' and 'Beasts of the Southern Wild'. In the past week alone, however, I've seen three examples of how it should be handled. The stunning 'Mud', which I'm temporarily forbidden to review until its May 1st embargo expires, uses a Mark Twain style approach while the otherwise irritating 'Post Tenebras Lux' employs magic realist imagery to convey the confusion of how an infant absorbs the world around them. 'Thursday Till Sunday' is easily the most naturalistic of the three, but it's also the most tedious.

Sotomayor's debut employs the 'Tom & Jerry' technique of Spielberg's 'E.T' to convey the perspective of young Lucia. The use of dialogue is fractured, teasing us with snippets of half-heard conversations. While it does suggest the frustration of an inquisitive child's thirst for information, it ultimately becomes equally frustrating for the viewer. Sotomayor literally straps us into the back seat for much of the movie, giving us practically nothing in the way of story or character. It's left to young Ahumada to carry the film, which she does well, but it's too large a burden for a child to carry. After an hour on this journey you'll find yourself subconsciously asking "Are we there yet?"
August 17, 2014
Buena película de Dominga Sotomayor, donde acompañaremos a una familia en un viaje al norte de Chile. Durante el trayecto descubriremos un matrimonio quebrado, una difícil situación de una hija entrando a la adolescencia, y a un padre romántico que se niega a asumir sus responsabilidades. Muy interesante en lo estético.
themoviewaffler.com
½ March 27, 2013

March 4, 2013
Intelligent filmmaking at its most beautiful. Everyone's childhood was a bit like this in one way or another, a film full of nostalgia, capturing the most precious and character-defining moments in life. Evocative and rewarding.