De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) (2012)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: Surging on strong performances from Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts, Rust and Bone is as vibrant and messily unpredictable as life itself.

De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) Videos

De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) Photos

Movie Info

A struggling single father helps a beautiful whale trainer recover her will to live following a terrible accident that leaves her confined to a wheelchair. Lonely and destitute, Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts) leaves the north of France for his sister's house in Antibes after becoming the sole guardian of his estranged five-year-old son Sam. When Ali lands a job as a bouncer in a nearby nightclub, things quickly start to look up for the itinerant father and son. Then one night, after breaking up a fight in the club, Ali meets the radiant Stephanie (Marion Cotillard), and slips her his number after dropping her off safely at home. Though Stephanie's position on the high end of the social spectrum makes romance an unlikely prospect for the pair, a tragic accident at Marineland robs her of her legs, and finds her reaching out in desperation to Ali. Her spirit broken by the same tragedy that took her legs, Stephanie gradually finds the courage to go on living trough transcendent moments spent with Ali -- a man with precious little pity, but an enormous love of life. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi
Rating:
R (for strong sexual content, brief graphic nudity, some violence and language)
Genre:

as Stephanie
Bouli Lanners
as Martial
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone)

Critic Reviews for De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone)

All Critics (157) | Top Critics (50)

An emotionally gripping if slightly meandering drama marked by two powerful lead performances.

Full Review… | July 27, 2013
Film.com
Top Critic

The movie wanders off course in the final act, as if none of its three screenwriters could quite figure out how to end it.

Full Review… | January 11, 2013
Miami Herald
Top Critic

"Rust" has some lovely scenes - Alain carrying Stephanie out to the sea - but it seems to wander off in search of something it already has, and in wandering, it loses its way.

Detroit News
Top Critic

"Rust and Bone" has heart and soul.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Top Critic

"Rust and Bone" seems to wander unexpectedly into its heart; it feels organic in its casual unfolding, like life itself.

January 10, 2013
Seattle Times
Top Critic

You couldn't ask for a more random relationship, but "Rust and Bone" slowly, almost magically, gives it meaning, symbolism, even a kind of symmetry.

Newsday
Top Critic

Audience Reviews for De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone)

½

Healing in the midst of the brokenness of it all. Great Film!!! For quite some time into the film it seems both the film and its main characters aimlessly sit in their cocoon without breaking out. One feels some very vague potential in people but somehow their very lives seem the greatest impediments to its blossoming. One wonders what the film is about and where it is going. Like its characters, it feels like a bunch of loose ends aimlessly hanging about. But I must say that at the end of the movie it has grown on you: suddenly, as the story progresses, the film hatches, the characters break out of their cocoon and in retrospect one feels one has been witness to the improbable -and yet realistic- birth of an unusual but deep love story between two common people. The story has a hidden intensity of screenplay which is intensely performed by Schoenaerts and Cotillard. It creeps beneath your skin. If you like Audiard's way of developing gradual character drama with an intensity that seems to be implicit, buried beneath trailer-trash but still strongly present, you'll like this film. It's a story of how one can find anew a purpose in life when one feels like wasted trash. The cinematography and soundtrack are pretty beautiful too, completing a fantastic triumph of an understated film. Put in charge of his young son, Alain leaves Belgium for Antibes to live with his sister and her husband as a family. Alain's bond with Stephanie, a killer whale trainer, grows deeper after Stephanie suffers a horrible accident.

Manu Gino
Manu Gino

½

I am not a fan of French films, usually. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know that it WAS a French film until I was an hour into it. The movie was supposed to be about the relationship between the two main characters, but even at the end of the movie, I was still left scratching my head wondering what the basis was of their attraction. The ending was frustrating, too. BUT, I still found myself watching it, and for the most part enjoying it....mostly due to Marion Cotillard. She is wonderful to watch...

Cynthia S.
Cynthia S.

½

'Rust and Bone'. Marion Cotillard stole my heart. The most emotionally affecting performance of the year in this love story that ain't sunshine and rainbows in the least. Nearly every touching scene is confronting and/or brutal. I appreciated the screenplay skipping those "in-between" scenes that normally play out, left to our imagination. Bookending the film with two Bon Iver songs didn't hurt!

c0up
c0up

De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) on our Movie forum!

News & Features