De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) Reviews

December 12, 2017
A messy tale but one that kind of creeps up on you and then really hits home because it's earned the right to do so. This is not a perfect film by any stretch but the characters are all interesting and people you want to learn more about. It's not as good as 'A Prophet' but not many films are, still really worth seeking out.
November 14, 2017
Beautifully filmed, wonderfully crafted and emotionally gripping. Plus, strong performances from both Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts, De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) brings out the messiness of life. It's my favorite film of 2012.
November 1, 2017
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!
½ July 14, 2017
Not as engaging as other Audiards but good.
June 21, 2017
"Rust and Bone" has heart and soul. Marion Cotillard is one of the best actress of her generation ...
April 15, 2017
Very strong and well acted French movie about an unusual relationship between a woman who lost her legs after an incident at work and a man who tries to bring up his boy and earn some money.
February 22, 2017
Does the third act feel unfocused and scattered? Holy hell, does it!

Overall, does the film push a little too hard on the sentimentality? It
sure does, shamelessly at times.

Does it suffer from minor inconsistencies and a couple of narrative
plateaus the omission of which would have resulted in a shorter, more
taut outcome? That would be another resounding "YES!".

Do any of the above shortcomings ultimately matter? Fuck no, Rust and
Bone is freaking stunning!

And this coming from me, the person who dislikes both emotional
manipulation AND Matthias Schoenaerts. Double whammy yet it still
manages a very worthy 4 stars.

Cheers for this Audiard, you're a good 'un, mate.
February 20, 2017
This film is bookended by a slow start and rushed ending, but the middle portion is held together beautifully with compelling performances by Cotillard and Schoenaerts.
December 21, 2016
The visual effects are really impressive and both actors deliver great performances, but their characters are poorly developed, keeping us distant and inspiring more pity than empathy. Besides, the ending is deceptive, a refusal to deal with the conflict and bring it to a resolution.
August 2, 2016
To me from the beginning to the last note was mesmerizing and so interesting from all sides. Heartbreaking and frustrating. The Cinematography, chemistry, story, delivery, superb. Matthias and Marion, dynamite! From a Psychological stand point; it is intriguing. Why people act the way they do. To see her pull humanity out of him that was always there, and they portrayed it in the right way. I always want to see brilliance in film. That this is. Rare find!
½ July 27, 2016
This movie was hard because I have no patience for people who are wilfully irresponsible so Schoenaerts' character's eventual redemption was just fundamentally unearned. There's no denying the performances aren't powerful, especially Cotillard's, and I understand it is their respective traumas that bind the two together in the end but I feel like it makes Cotillard's otherwise intelligent and capable character seem almost pathetic for taking him back. Nevertheless a strong film.
July 8, 2016
the scene where he rescues his son .... u watch the movie for that
½ June 18, 2016
Anchored by a raw, moving performance from Marion Cotillard, "Rust and Bone" makes for a scattered but emotional watch.
June 3, 2016
A very good but not 'perfect' French film. Marion Cotillard & Matthias Schoenaerts - what's not to like?
March 18, 2016
beyond moving,stellar..
March 6, 2016
Superbly directed and acted with a powerful and unpredictable story (and beautiful cinematography to go with it)
March 1, 2016
Quite lovely. I liked the lack of romance in the core relationship, and how non-traditional and kind of transgressive it was, so I was slightly disappointed that it got a little gooey in the third act. But Audiard's direction, and his approach to narrative, is an absolute pleasure to experience, as always.
February 20, 2016
A raw story about damaged people finding love. Stellar performances by the two leads more than make up for an unfocused plot. Full of powerful scenes, with one in particular being incredibly hard (in the best way) to watch.