De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone) Reviews

August 1, 2015
Visceral, gut-wrenching, authentic look into the difference between living and merely existing.
July 17, 2015
Very melodramatic and manipulative, but really powerful. A visual delight as well.
½ May 31, 2015
There is power in Adiard's unflinching honesty and certainly in the performances, but the film meanders for too much of its running time and he is reliant too much on artificial elements: the soundtrack, the slow motion sequences, not necessary.
May 23, 2015
Marion Cotillard is literal perfection.
½ April 20, 2015
it was the best movie of 2013 for me. marion cotillard is very pleasant to watch.
½ April 13, 2015
The two stunning lead performances really sell this film: a beautiful yet completely unsentimental portrayal of two broken souls that was great to look at and well written. There was a moment I thought to myself this is just too grim but the end note was perfect. I also really loved the soundtrack!
April 12, 2015
It was ok overall, overated I though, but, it did have a nice storyline with some moral issues, it was just so slow moving.
April 11, 2015
Powerful, intense, erotic and cinematic. A great film!
April 9, 2015
It has some very lovely scenes.. that's all..
April 5, 2015
Visceral, humanist piece about individuals in transition, whose humanity is defined by both pain and resilience. Marion Cotillard's Stéphanie is an orca trainer who's forced to redefine her life when an accident leaves her without legs, and she strikes up a relationship with Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts), a struggling single father with a young son who lives with his sister and drifts between small-time jobs. Whereas Stephanie has reached her breaking point and is already on the road to rediscovery and reinvention, we find Ali on a downward spiral; he doesn't reach his breaking point until the end of the film. Director Jacques Audiard brings an energetic, emotional presence that never feels contrived. The movie ends with a quote from Ali, who is finally in the process of turning his life around: "At some point the pain will come back. Like needles. Like glass splinters." It's OK to be in pain, the film tells us. It's what makes us human.
March 18, 2015
Rust And Bone is a fantastic notch on Cotillard's belt, as she delivers yet another dramatically impressive performance as the disabled Stephanie. As it is with all French films, the movie does lull itself to sleep a few times but the gravity of the situation always seems to wake it back up. The film is a powerful emotional trip as well, with the scenes effectively communicating the struggle of the characters, even with subtitles turned off. Ultimately, its greatest triumph is the gritty and realistic portrayal of life after tragedy and the struggle for survival. Rust And Bone succeeds because it deviates from so many of the trappings of American film, choosing to cast actors and actresses who lack the model looks and chiseled features found in most American films but achieve the highest level of realism and emotion.
March 3, 2015
I've never watched a foreign language film, so this is my first one I've watched and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. The acting was superb! Marion Cotillard had my eyes glued to her watching her give such a powerful, emotional performance. Matthias Schoenaerts also delivers a great performance making him a rising star. This is a romance film filled with a lot of drama so obviously it's not for everybody, but I have to say I was surprised by how much I liked this film. My grade=87%(B+).
February 28, 2015
It's so close to life..The movie beautifully shows how a true relationship becomes both our weakness and strength simultaneously in our life..
February 17, 2015
Cotillard shines in her most unpredictable role to date.
February 15, 2015
An emotional, sexy movie that shows how we can help rather than overshadow each other
January 5, 2015
It is a powerful and impressive movie, but it's also uneven, with quite a few flaws. To be fair, the shortcomings are probably mostly due to the huge scope of the story and the time limitations of a feature film. It really did feel like they'd edited and cut too heavily, and that three hours instead of two would have helped immensely, but then unless you're a big name director, working in English, hardly anyone would ever even hear about your work, let alone get to see the it.
½ December 31, 2014
There's a lot of angst and coping with things life throw at you in this relationship heavy plot, but it's an excellent story and very well acted.
½ December 20, 2014
Very well made drama.
December 6, 2014
An audacious film where the lives of an amputated and depressed orca trainer meets that of a nightclub bouncer and street fighter. When Stephanie begins to confide in and rely on Ali to take care of her and regain passion in her life, she begins to feel more optimistic and has a new sense of confidence in herself. Even so, Ali is not committed to her and pursues casual relationships. Eventually, Ali finds that Stephanie is a person that he can trust and confide in (as she first gave him the chance to do so), and they have a long-lasting bond. This occurs during an especially difficult and trying time during Ali's life. The theme of this movie appears to be that there are certain unavoidable fragilities we endure in life, but we are not limited by them. Although these obstacles may hurt us in the short-term, we become stronger and more determined as a result of them.
½ November 30, 2014
Rust and Bone is emotionally gripping and powerful drama with heart and soul. Stupendous performance by both Matthias Schoenaerts and Marion Cotillard. Cotillard is an exceptional actress, everytime i see her, she's always so into her character, there is not even a glimpse of dullness in her performance. Loved the way how it had an emotional impact on both characters. Cinematography was beautiful. Director Jacques Audiard gets it simply right.