Dylan Dog: Dead of Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night Reviews

June 8, 2016
It's super cheesy but if you're childhood was horrible B movie on SyFy (back when it was SciFi and showed abominable movies, in a time before ghost hunters was the ONLY THING THEY PLAYED) the nastalgia will keep you 100% involved and loving every over the top second. Plus, Josh from Being Human is an adorable zombie. If generic cheesy comedy nightmare is your thing, it's perfect.
August 16, 2015
Don't expect a lot, so you can enjoy.
August 12, 2015
Even with some funny and amusing moments, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night is mostly a generic horror-comedy
½ March 2, 2015
Dylan Dog is a flick that looks alright but clearly has way too many problems for it to be any good.
The film suffers from a case of wanting to do too much and only having a feature length time to get it done. It's a case of not knowing what to cut because the filmmakers thought everything was just so cool.
Taken for it's world and story, Dylan Dog could have made for a season or two of decent television.
The concept behind the film reeks of the Anita Blake series meets the Criminal Macabre comic and has very little original content in comparison.
Not worth wasting precious time on when there are similar and better alternatives out there.
January 12, 2015
Okay so i went into this expecting a horrible horrible movie. So since my bar was set so low I had no idea I would chuckle at the humor and the just strangeness of the movie. I have no idea if i was suppose to be laughing. But yanno I kinda liked it.

From a review "It makes for a brainless Saturday afternoon watch, honestly, and isn't as bad as some critics portrayed it to be. It's far, far, far from perfect, and really could have been more coherent, but taken as comedy first, horror second, it's really quite fun."

And thats exactly correct. Dont go in looking for something too special and def take the humor first and you will have some brainless fun.
½ December 19, 2014
OK well for starters we have seen this kind of thing now many many many times over, there is nothing new here and nothing that really impresses to be brutally honest. Despite that this is still a reasonably enjoyable monster and myth movie with a creative side that is clearly down to its solid comicbook origins.

I don't know anything about the comicbook but its quite old (1986), so I can't say for sure but I do believe this comic may have given rise to other such characters and franchises like 'Hellboy', 'Underworld' and probably others. The problem is they have left this adaptation too long and missed the boat. This a real mix of many cool ideas and the first to spring to mind was 'Van Helsing'. DD is very much a monster mash with everything from vamps, werewolves, zombies, ghouls and demons. Add to this a neat little touch of black humour with zombie sub plots involving zombie support groups complete with flyers and a zombie bodyshop where the undead go to fix themselves up. Clever touches like that make this film fun to watch.

Now the first 30 minutes of this film is dull I can't lie, I was getting bored as nothing was happening. The concept is clearly going for an old detective film with narration from Dylan as he investigates clues, its nice and gives the film a touch of class but ultimately its kinda dull too.
Things start to spice up as creatures of the night come into play and the plot thickens, we discover a huge uber zombie is killing folk and there's a battle going on between certain humans and the undead ergo...a bit like 'Underworld'.

The problem is the film does get more enjoyable but you just can't help but relate everything to many other films, some I've already mentioned. You feel as if you've seen this all before (which you kinda have) and you know what's gonna happen. The other problem is the effects aren't all that great on the werewolves, the vamps don't look anything new with their facial design (think 'Lost Boys' or 'From Dusk Till Dawn') and of course zombies will always look the same.

There is a quite lovely piece of makeup/prosthetic work at the finale where baddie vamp leader Vargas transforms into a mega demon of some kind, looks absolutely fantastic but again it also looks identical to Darkness from 'Legend' or Marcus from 'Underworld 2' plus his appearance is a total anti-climax. In short the CGI work isn't the best and neither are the stunts truthfully, blood and gore is minimal which is fine but makeup is probably the winner over CGI here. The CGI is about on par with the first 'Underworld' flick which is obviously dated.

There is a hell of a lot of imagination going on here which is terrific and as this character came about in 86 I'm sure he came before much of what we already know in terms of night creature mythology. Had this been made before a lot of well known films then I'm sure it would have received a much better reception and may well have be known as a semi cult classic like such films as 'Blade' and 'Underworld'. Its a shame as despite the large amount of monsters all fighting for screen time the film doesn't feel clustered and it is nicely done with good humour and a nice dark film noir detective angle. The zombie sub plots are easily the best for plus points in terms of originality (almost).

If you try not to compare this film to others its good fun, with better CGI work I wouldn't mind a sequel as Routh as Dylan is a likeable character who isn't over the top and arrogant. I did enjoy the monster mash, shame they had to include the always cliched and now over used martial arts fighting weapon clad female lead. Have her as a hardass sure but lets not go down the boring Milla Jovovich route again please, no need for that in the sequel...if there is one.
November 7, 2014
This film did not have many redeeming factors in it. Really wasn't that interesting, the time wasn't great, nothin really surprising overall. If you like terrible movies then give this a shot, if not, avoid this film.
½ September 29, 2014
Routh ruins his superman career.
½ August 17, 2014
Uninspired movie making. Routine and predictable. Violates the basic storytelling law "Show, don't tell" in practically every scene. The only saving grace is Sam Huntington as Marcus who energizes every scene he is in with his spot on dry and funny delivery.
½ June 7, 2014
Cheesy, b-movie. Good effects but not the best movie I've seen
½ May 18, 2014
I'll watch anything with Peter Stormare.
May 17, 2014
A lightly comedic horror movie apparently based on a comic I've not heard of. Routh is good as Dylan, an investigator who is a barrier between humans and the undead in all forms (vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc.). The story is not well developed, but pace is quick enough to not allow you to dwell on that aspect. Very good, somewhat creepy effects contrast with the tone of the movie, but it somehow works. I enjoyed this very much.
½ May 10, 2014
Partly entertaining.
March 28, 2014
Excellent Horror + Action Movie...............................
½ February 18, 2014
B- lots of fun! by ricky miller

Contains a little "The Monster Squad" mixed with the black comedy stylings of either "Night lof the Comet" with a suvtle dash of 1985's "Fright Night."
½ January 31, 2014
I get there is a whole community of fans of the source comic that don't feel the movie treated it as it deserved (I hate it when that happens), but taken in and of itself, it's not a bad romp through monster land. It has a great comic book / 80's campy monster vibe that, in all honesty, probably elevates it higher than it deserves to be
January 17, 2014
no stars whatsoever -_-.....
January 4, 2014
More of a TV film due to the plastic dialogue, cliche ridden narrative and lame humour. There's more of this rubbish available in bargain (download) bins than enough. Joss Whedon would love this!
½ December 27, 2013
Truly terrible, the hero does nothing in the movie but whine.
December 22, 2013
loved it from start to finish.