The Dead Reviews

• Feb 06, 2019

A “faithful” adaptation of the short story, but one which does not work on film. What works as literature here is terribly boring as a film.

• Apr 02, 2018

Though the closing monologues are beautiful there isn't nearly enough going on dramatically in the main part of the film to make this work as cinema. No blame attaches to the actors for this - I rather suspect it was simply one of those doomed projects, where a director wants to honour a literary work that cannot transfer to the screen.

• Apr 25, 2017

Intelligent and deep last film of John Huston, sad and melancholic, but profoundly life-affirming nevertheless.

• Feb 20, 2017

This was a really wild hair recording made via TiVo that I finally watched during a period of housecleaning with the device, and I honestly didn't know what to expect. Knowing me, I saw the title and assumed a horror film, where in actuality, I got a drama piece about people ruminating on their lost loves and the somewhat melancholy party that that they attend with friends. It was an okay flick, but I have zero interest in returning to it anytime in the near future, as there's just too many other films out there to pursue. Rental?

• Sep 27, 2016

8.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Bi

8.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Bi

• Sep 28, 2015

Similar to Altman's swan song A Prairie Home Companion in its rumination on death and tonally consistent with the work of Terence Davies, The Dead is Huston's final film and (fittingly) touches on themes of memory, nostalgia, generational differences, and ultimately the rejection of death. Gorgeously shot and well-acted, it may be a low-key chamber piece, but it deals in lofty existentialism that lends it a more universal effect than similarly-structured works.

• Aug 13, 2015

well crafted period pic

well crafted period pic

• May 08, 2014

Huston's final film is his final masterpiece.

Huston's final film is his final masterpiece.

• Apr 27, 2014

Charming but quite uneventful. Certainly not something I'd watch for entertainment, which isn't a bad thing, but not something I would really even enjoy watching through a second time. I'm sure it's true brilliance is beyond my cinematic knowledge though.

• Feb 08, 2014

Based upon a James Joyce story. Directed by John Huston. At times funny, morose, wise and soulful. A great American art film. There are more beautiful moments in any ten minutes of this film than ten other combined.