Dead Alive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Alive Reviews

April 27, 2017
One of the greatest ever zombies
April 25, 2017
This Film Is Very Gory.
April 1, 2017
Arguably one of the best zombie movies ever made, "Dead Alive" is a hilariously wacky and gory experience.
March 20, 2017
Jackson's best film pre-LOTR. A comic gore fest, with a brilliant scenario in which the hero ploughs back and forth continually through a huge crowd of zombie's whilst carrying a lawnmower - sickly classic.
March 9, 2017
This was a film that I have only seen a handful of times but recently revisited during a Peter Jackson-themed viewing afternoon of movie watching, and I have to say, I loved it all over again from start to finish.

This film has a gleeful foot in both horror and comedy, equal parts gruesome and laugh out loud funny, but let's be real, it may be a bit too intense for some parties, so choose your viewing companions wisely.

Recommended.
February 22, 2017
This movie had the most amazing special effects of any movie. As the movie progresses it becomes just scene after scene of ridiculous gross out comedy gore. It's mind blowing how elaborate each scene is and much effort it must have been to create all of it. The whole movie and plot is really well made and is the height of peter Jacksons early work.
February 4, 2017
Excellent OTT gory comedy horror.
January 3, 2017
Peter Jackson did an awesome job with this movie, pure black comedy gore film.
½ November 15, 2016
An early classic from Peter Jackson. Gory & over-the-top. Just watch it!
½ November 6, 2016
You know there are two types of Peter Jackson fans, ones that prefer his new movies and the ones that prefer his older work. I much prefer his first five films, to anything else he has done. I don't hate his new stuff but I just don't see where all the praise is coming from? Maybe it's just me, well no, I know there's others out there like me. Out of Jackson first five films, I only dislike one of them but even that one had a great scene. Peter Jackson was really striving to become a major filmmaker, well atleast a very passionate one.

Brain Dead/Dead Alive is his 3rd feature and in my opinion, by far his best film to date. Jackson made this film on very tiny budget, around 2 million dollars. He set out to make the bloodiest, most over the top movie ever filmed. I've seen Dead Alive over twenties times and I'm pretty sure he succeeded, incase your didn't know, Dead Alive holds the world record for the most blood used on a movie production. And it's not CGI blood either, actually over 10,000 gallons of blood were used in the final scene alone.

That's alot of gore and splatter. I've seen alot cult classics and bloodbath scenes and nothing really comes close to Dead Alive. Though, it's been brought to my attention that a new more recent movie beat it's blood count, I search the internet and can't seem to get this comfirmed? maybe it's just a rumor? who knows? anyways, I seriously doubt it's more entertaining than the movie which I'm reviewing. Dead Alive has everything a gorehound/zombie freak could want or need. I still remember the first thought I had after seeing this, what the hell did I just watch?

I had to see it again to make sure. There's so many shocking and laugh out loud moments here, this movie had no limits on it's humor. I almost questioned Jackson genius here, but that was only because it was so insane, I would have never thought of some the stuff contain within this flick. Actually when this film was released in theaters in New Zealand, people were handed a barf bag to go with their movie ticket lol.

Dead Alive did set the standard in many ways for future splatterfest movies and none have ever succeeded it. The story of Dead Alive is kinda simple, it's a story about guy named Lionel, who lives at home with his mother. His mother is very controlling and obsessive but Lionel loves her more than anything. Well, until one day he meets a girl named Paquita (it's pronounced Pa-keet-tah) They both fall for each other rather quickly, and one day they plan to take a trip to the local zoo. Lionel's mother is suspicious of her son and follows him there.

While watching her son interact with his new love, Lionel's mother is biten by a Samatran Rat Monkey (These don't exists I ensure you, they come from Skull Island. Skull Island doesn't exists either unless you believe in King Kong) Lionel comes home to find out his mother is ill and was bitten. Lionel tries to take care of his mother the best he can but it seems pointless. Eventually Lionel's mother dies.... but not for long, she becomes one of the undead and tries to eat everything made of flesh, that she can get her hands on.

This is a very chaotic situation for our hero Lionel, he loves his mother even after she turned into Zombie. He tries his best to take care of her and keep her away from others, it's kinda hard to do this when she's even tring to eat him. Finally Lionel's mom bites someone else and then the virus spreads like wildfire. Lionel does his best to keep this epidemic under wraps and does a pretty good job until his uncle comes along.

How this story unfolds is one the most outrageous things I've ever seen. I wouldn't call this the most over the top movie of all-time, for nothing. Dead Alive contains my favorite bloodbath scene ever, all I'm gonna say is it involves a party full of zombies and good ol' lawnmower. I consider Dead Alive my 2nd favorite zombie movie and my favorite zombie comedy. Any fan of George Romero zombie movies, Shaun of The Dead, Evil Dead Triology, Return of The Living Dead, or even Demons, should enjoy the hell out of this!

I highly recommend this and encourage you to watch it has soon as possible. Leave me some feedback on what you thought. Oh, you'll have to buy your own barf bag haha.
November 5, 2016
Impressive special effects and a tongue in cheek story makes for fun, gory entertainment.
½ November 1, 2016
I think my rather severe dislike of Jackson's more recent work has really taken some of the shine off of his early films. I really feel like I'm watching someone that doesn't quite know when to stop. I watch the really over the top gore here with minimal plot and I kind of see what leads to 3 hours of "King Kong" and 9 hours of "The Hobbit". It's not that I don't like this film ... it's that I really don't even like the old Peter Jackson anymore.
October 29, 2016
Possibly the strangest viewing experience I've ever had in the best way. Peter Jackson makes so many bizarre and wonderful choices that it's difficult to count.

Shut your brain off, have a seat (without snacks or drinks), and enjoy this gruesome, over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek cult masterpiece.
October 5, 2016
Too much blood and too much fun.
½ October 2, 2016
To call this movie gory is an absolute understatement. This has to be the bloodiest movie ever made. Seriously, if you get queasy at the sight of blood, stay as far away from this movie as possible. But if you can get past that, it's a funny, over-the-top, disgustingly fun time.
July 26, 2016
Nowadays Peter Jackson is known and hailed as the mastermind behind the critically acclaim and universally beloved Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but before his major breakthrough in 2001, he gain attention of the mainstream masses for the also critically acclaim "Heavenly Creatures", released in 1994, but even before that Sir Peter Jackson began his career with splatter films that now have a cult status, with the most notable one being "Brain Dead" (or "Dead Alive").

Lionel is a shy man who lives with his extremely possessive mother but he gets the attention of the shopkeeper daughter Paquita. In their first date they go to a zoo and visit the newest acquisition: A Sumatran Rat-Monkey. This vicious creature manages to bite Lionel´s mother, but Lionel is unaware of the side effects of that contact with the animal hybrid.

Humor is an extremely subjective issue as people can either enjoy slapstick, white humor, puns, etc. But there are many people who enjoy dark humor and if you are part of that group then "Brain Dead" is a film made for you. "Brain Dead" is a shocking B movie that has excessive gore and shows many disturbing ideas but Jackson manages to use this highly excessive gore to get laughter from his audience as he shows an insane amount of creativity and enjoyment in the execution of this story. Furthermore you can see Jackson´s fingerprints all over the place (regardless of the low budget) and even in this little splatter film you can witness the potential of his perfectionist style. Sure, you can point out the bad acting, the obvious cheapness of the effects, the cliché story, the one-dimensional characters, and it's fast pacing; but this film is a B movie and the point of a B movie is to entertain you and this film gets an A+ on that. The only issue I have is the juvenile dirty humor as this film is better than that. I mean it's literally overflowing with creativity and then you get the classic dirty humor (particularly one big character design that made me roll me eyes), but as I said earlier humor is subjective so if you enjoy juvenile dirty humor then you won't have any problem with this film.

"Brain Dead" is a hilarious and extremely enjoyable film if you can handle extreme gore (far beyond Tarantino levels, as a reference) and/or enjoy dark (downright macabre) humor. One of the funniest B movies you can find and one of the more memorable ones due to its extreme imagery (if you enjoy films like "The Evil Dead Trilogy" or "Shaun of the Dead", this is a must see).
½ July 6, 2016
Hahahahaha! I'm still laughing from just how gross-out Sir Peter Jackson's first two films are! He sure has come a long way since then! Just imagine if the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies, as well as King Kong, were helmed by him back THEN! =)
June 14, 2016
Definitely a classic funny and gory, definitely recommended! 5 Stars!
½ June 13, 2016
Gruesome gore and a goofy plot made this a bad choice for entertainment. I definitely should have avoided this one.
June 12, 2016
You'd think a high rating would equate to a quality film. In truth, there is no quality whatsoever about this but on the grounds it is the most horrific depiction of slapstick blood and guts I think I've ever seen, it warrants credit. From the offset, you can't take this seriously as the introduction centres around a native tribe trying to prevent the release of a Sumatran Rat Monkey into the public domain. The animal so called because plague baring rats raped monkeys to produce such an offspring! When it then comes into contact with an overbearing mother, who can't stand the thought of her son falling in love, she is turned into a flesh eating zombie that the son tries to keep a secret from the outside world. As things become worse, and one zombie escalates into hundreds, this film turns into the bloodiest gore fest ever known to man, with the screens just amass with red by the end. Normally the old school special effects are comical to say the least but this is done to a degree that actually turns the stomach in parts. Literally anything goes, and everything does go with the removal of every limb possible, and not a drop of blood left unspilt. I'd be so interested to meet the man behind this mind to see if he is indeed a genuine psychotic nutcase, or was just having one of those off days. This is the sickest of sick and just when you think you've seen it all, something else stomach churning occurs. The love story that is brought to our attention at the beginning is soon drowned out by the ridiculousness that ensues, leaving the audience somewhat bewildered at what they have just witnessed. This will stay in the memory for some time, due to all the wrong reasons, but as many would have you believe, if it gets you talking, its creation has been a success. I would recommend this purely due to the shock factor, but please just make sure you've let your last meal digest fully!