Dead Alive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Alive Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
Hahahahaha! I'm still laughing from just how gross-out Sir Peter Jackson's first two films are! He sure has come a long way since then! Just imagine if the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies, as well as King Kong, were helmed by him back THEN! =)
June 14, 2016
Definitely a classic funny and gory, definitely recommended! 5 Stars!
½ June 13, 2016
Gruesome gore and a goofy plot made this a bad choice for entertainment. I definitely should have avoided this one.
June 12, 2016
You'd think a high rating would equate to a quality film. In truth, there is no quality whatsoever about this but on the grounds it is the most horrific depiction of slapstick blood and guts I think I've ever seen, it warrants credit. From the offset, you can't take this seriously as the introduction centres around a native tribe trying to prevent the release of a Sumatran Rat Monkey into the public domain. The animal so called because plague baring rats raped monkeys to produce such an offspring! When it then comes into contact with an overbearing mother, who can't stand the thought of her son falling in love, she is turned into a flesh eating zombie that the son tries to keep a secret from the outside world. As things become worse, and one zombie escalates into hundreds, this film turns into the bloodiest gore fest ever known to man, with the screens just amass with red by the end. Normally the old school special effects are comical to say the least but this is done to a degree that actually turns the stomach in parts. Literally anything goes, and everything does go with the removal of every limb possible, and not a drop of blood left unspilt. I'd be so interested to meet the man behind this mind to see if he is indeed a genuine psychotic nutcase, or was just having one of those off days. This is the sickest of sick and just when you think you've seen it all, something else stomach churning occurs. The love story that is brought to our attention at the beginning is soon drowned out by the ridiculousness that ensues, leaving the audience somewhat bewildered at what they have just witnessed. This will stay in the memory for some time, due to all the wrong reasons, but as many would have you believe, if it gets you talking, its creation has been a success. I would recommend this purely due to the shock factor, but please just make sure you've let your last meal digest fully!
½ April 29, 2016
Delightfully over the top and gory beyond belief its hard to imagine that this came from the same man who gave us "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. If you love splatter fests don't miss this one, its a blast.
April 18, 2016
Dead Alive (1993) ???
Original, outrageous black comedy/horror film from Peter Jackson is an inventive, widely stylish roller-coaster ride for those with an appetite for extreme violence and with an appalling sense of humor. Young chap's mum dies, comes back as a zombie along with others she infected. Easily the goriest horror film ever made-certainly one of the funniest. British gem is totally full-bore Jackson: at turns funny, vibrant, hypnotic . . . and absolutely disgusting. And just wait for the denouement! A must for horror fans; however, if the sight of blood makes you wince, beware!
April 10, 2016
A classic, a Peter Jackson classic, the time when he wasn't yet a director of blockbusters and made creative and funny pictures.
March 27, 2016
Dead Alive, or Braindead, is directed and co-written by Peter Jackson, and it stars Timothy Balme and Diana PeƱalver in a splatstick zombie film about a man having a troubled relationship with a girl because of his mom, and now she got bitten by a rat-monkey which turned her into a zombie. I've first heard about it from Angry Video Game Nerd years ago who says that this is the goriest film ever made. That alone got me curious, and I finally got to see it, which turned out to be a great film. I like the acting as they seem to have a bit of quirk in it that's fitting to the tone of this. The gore effects look amazing in it, there were times that I have no idea how they used that effect, and I've seen so many gory films. It has a bit of dark humor to it which got me laughing, and the chemistry between the main leads is well done. The movie gets more and more gory, which gets my attention more as it gets crazier, which is a plus since I didn't find the beginning that interesting. The lawnmower scene is the goriest part that I ever seen, which astounds me that there's so much blood going on and that it was actually shown in some theaters. Peter Jackson's Dead Alive has a lot more going with its mind for a splatstick film, which is more than I can say for something like Ichi the Killer.
February 1, 2016
This is a must watch horror comedy !!
January 23, 2016
A zombie like movie that is hilariously cheesy and over the top. So over the top that you can't help but chuckle throughout. Filled with gross gore effects, but not scary to watch.
½ January 12, 2016
89%
In this low budget horror-comedy, Peter Jackson seamlessly combines black humor, sweet romance, and hysterical horror.

V: 80%
½ October 30, 2015
If there was any movie that would be my biography.
October 29, 2015
it must be like Evil Dead 2 meets the Lord of the Rings director sounds like a great time
October 26, 2015
A fun and gory Peter Jackson sci-fi horror classic.
October 20, 2015
Hilarious and excessive to the max!
September 29, 2015
A crazy but very good splatter flick from the early days of Peter Jackson. Although the acting isn't the best ever on screen, the film delivers a fun plot, outrageous buckets of gores and a few laughs. And, it also has the cheaper camera quality which gives it a, almost, art house style to it. Not the classic Romero zombies but still a very good film. Recommended !!
September 20, 2015
Honestly one of my favorite movies of all time. I wouldn't necessarily throw this flick in the Horror Genre but it has got to be one of the great ones, with all its original makeup and ridiculous amount of gore. It will definitely make you quiver most of the time. A MUST watch!
½ September 6, 2015
Its highly recommended to fans who love extreme gore like me. Its funny as it is insanely gory. A old classic comedy horror.
August 4, 2015
Hell yeah its god damn gory I mean damn the organs
July 22, 2015
Jackson's best work. He needs to do more.