Dead Bang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Bang Reviews

April 16, 2015
The story's thin but Johnson is really good in this mixed bag action thriller.
September 8, 2014
An under rated gem from Frankenheimer. Johnson is unbelievable in this and is in nearly every single scene. Forsythe is reliable as always and a text book twitch off Miller. My only critique would be Johnson's alcoholic cop who doesn't actually drink much throughout.
June 4, 2014
Good 80's cop thriller with Don Johnson playing a cop, but less like Sonny Crocket and more like Dirty Harry, it's quite cool seeing Don playing it differently and he's convincing at it too, doesn't seem to be trying too hard.
It's a shame that his movie career didn't go as far as his TV career did (Tom Selleck seemed to had that problem too, he's currently a regular on a TV show on Sky Atlantic).
October 13, 2013
I don't really understand the bad reputation this film has. It's a serviceable cop film. It's not an outstanding piece of work, and Frankenheimer has certainly done better (and worse) than this, but Johnson is really quite good as your standard maverick cop character and the plot is engaging. Any cop film where your hungover lead cop throws up on a suspect is at least worth a look ... it's more interesting than any of the "Lethal Weapon" sequels.
September 16, 2013
I'd file this movie under...good enough. Not overly great but not terrible, it just exists and it's not bad at all.
½ July 17, 2013
Another masterpiece...I'm telling you people...SEE DEAD BANG!
½ May 10, 2013
Don't expect Don Johnson to be anything like Sonny Crockett and you'll be pleased.
June 7, 2012
I haven't bought this movie YET but I am going to I LOVED THIS MOVIE when I first seen it back when it came out and back then Don Johnson was the Sh*t this movie is great it has drama and action and funny where it needs it if you haven't seen this flick I feel sorry for you Oh and I never watched miami vice I just liked Johnson in this movie.
July 13, 2011
There‚(TM)s a specific brand of cop in film and on TV that apparently appeals to audiences. Typically, he‚(TM)s alienated from his family because he‚(TM)s too dedicated to his job and consumes too much of his time doing it and not enough with them. Or debasing brutality has taken too big a chunk out of his consciousness for him to frequent the society of women and children. Generally, he eats three meals of pizza or Chinese and drinks like a fish. The company he keeps does nothing for his lexicon. And the first thing everybody tells him is that he looks terrible. In Dead Bang, Don Johnson plays this classic brand of cop, to a tee.

Has anyone ever made a movie about a good cop who is neurotically orderly? The one perhaps determining stroke contributed by Dead Bang is a scene in which the inebriated investigator heaves onto a suspect. His name is Beck and on Christmas Eve he‚(TM)s designated to probe the murder of another LA cop. He produces the name of a freshly paroled offender apparently affiliated with a disheveled band of white supremacists.

There are a few rows and gunfights, and a Fed overplayed by William Forsythe imposes himself. Also, due to his wreckless ways, which appear somewhat restrained relative to that of most movie cops, Beck is ordered by the chief to obtain permission from a police shrink or be removed from the case. However since Michael Jeter‚(TM)s counselor resembles Woody Allen, Beck breaks up and the doctor grows annoyed and the opportunity of remaining on the case seems remote, that is till Beck has a very unclinical, clear-cut and inhospitable talk with the slightly built fellow.

Near the beginning, there‚(TM)s an unwanted detour in which Beck beds Penelope Ann Miller who, unbeknownst to him, was the wife of the murdered cop. But when he faces her with the information, that‚(TM)s all and she never appears again. From then on out it‚(TM)s all boys, and there is some inexplicably evocative dialogue in which Beck and his contemporaries talk about ‚going through doors‚? together. Beck says there‚(TM)s only one thing that counts: Is there anyone who‚(TM)d be afraid to go through a door with him? And later, his police chief replies, ‚I want you to know that I‚(TM)d go through a door with you anytime.‚?

Johnson‚(TM)s eyes look aloof, but he‚(TM)s got some presence here, doing the work and really deriving something appealing out of the formula. As the burdensome G-man, Forsythe is the essence of trivial-mindedness. At one point, he looks at a shivering Beck with gravitas and says, ‚You didn‚(TM)t bring a cold-weather coat? What‚(TM)s wrong with you?‚? Also, Bob Balaban, as a whipped parole officer, and Tim Reid, as a local police chief, give their roles some punch.

However, what the audience sees, actually, are a couple of white-supremacist psychopaths with a fixation on racial purity and homemade apple tarts. Their main advocates are a handful of dim-witted Hell‚(TM)s Angels sorts who, when they need funds, raid the Mexican bar right next door, kill everyone in it and then are astonished when the authorities appear. John Frankenheimer‚(TM)s control is tight enough but quite mechanical: He sustains the action but doesn‚(TM)t furnish much character. Then again, Robert Foster‚(TM)s script is speckled with crumbs of peculiarity, practically all of them minor. Frankenheimer, the director of three of the most sharply honed and deeply affecting conspiracy movies ever made, is also responsible for some of the more negligible.
April 14, 2011
Good movie with a stupid title.
½ March 25, 2011
I saw this a long time ago, and barely remember it. All I can remember is thinking how dull and boring it was at the time.
January 15, 2011
A puking Sonny Crockett. You don't want to miss that!
August 7, 2010
(* 1/2): Thumbs Down

Way over-the-top (especially Don Johnson's performance) and just too silly at times.
March 30, 2010
Armed with a flashlight and a bad attitude, Don Johnson kicks scumbag ass in this cheesy 80s action movie that crashes through every cliche in the book with tremendously entertaining gusto, thanks in large part to Johnson's all-out performance and John Frankenheimer's sure-handed direction. The script is pretty hokey, but it's fast-paced and surprisingly well-crafted for this kind of movie. Definitely deserves a cult following.
February 16, 2010
Don Johnson interpreta a un policia decadente (lejano del Sonny Crockett de "Miami Vice") basado en la vida de un agente real, que tiene que enfrentarse a varios crimenes de ortigen racial. La pelicula hubiera sido un asco (como la escena del policia vomitando a un testigo) si no hubiera sido dirigida con la experticia de John Frankenheimer.
½ January 30, 2010
Overall, a damn good underrated movie!
October 18, 2009
What a terrible title
October 1, 2009
I've seen this, but I remember next to nothing about it other than I really liked it.
September 8, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
May 30, 2009
At least one scene makes it a classic :-)