A Dead Calling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Dead Calling Reviews

September 30, 2015
I can't even...poorly made. Poorly acted. Very disappointing. Only made it about a half hour in.
½ February 23, 2015
Good story line. decent acting.
March 15, 2014
One line summary: Ghosts, revenge, confused parentage, murder, obsession, but no scares.

--------------------------

Rachel is a successful roving reporter for a television station. One evening she comes home and all seems well. A home invasion occurs and the thief kills her significant other by stabbing. She's in shock. She loses her job, her place of work. She goes back to her home in Fillmore with her parents George and Marge, then gets a job at the local television station. Her first assignment is an ongoing one in which she is to report on some of the high points of the local architecture.

When she goes to first stop on the list, the 'Sullivan House,' all seems as usual until she goes upstairs. Then she hallucinates a brutal stabbing of a woman by an enraged man. On her second visit, she meets Arnold, a photographer who is investigating paranormal events using very sensitive photographic equipment. When they are about to uncover a paranormal event, a big fellow gets in Arnold's way, then stabs him to death.

Stephen does some research, and finds that Arnold was killed some years ago. Oh, my. The Chief would rather that Stephen and Rachel quit poking around the Sullivan house. So of course they go there the same night. The Chief gets a complaint about their skulking around, and confronts them in the house. Unfortunately for the Chief, Dr. Sullivan, who owns the house, has gotten out of prison, and he stabs the Chief to death.

Rachel figures out that the killer is her father and the ghost in her first hallucination is the ghost of her birth mother.

Does Rachel help resolve the ghost's psychological problems, so that the haunting stops? Will any of the cast survive Dr. Sullivan? Are there last minute surprises?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 6/10 Camera shake. Stupid camera angles.

Sound: 5/10 There are some big shifts in volume for no particular purpose, except perhaps for shock effect.

Acting: 0/10 Alexandra Holden and John Burke are both terrible in this film. Their delivery of lines is just poor, and their external affect seems irrelevant. Micah Costanza was wretched as Deputy Murken. Mike Korich as Arnie Howard was no prize either.

Screenplay: 2/10 Does Rachel ever mourn Brian? Why is Rachel so snotty toward her parents? Why was absolutely nothing in this film scary? Bad writing.
½ July 10, 2013
Despite featuring horror icons Sid Haig and Bill Moseley, A Dead Calling is a pointless, boring, and stupid as horror cinema can get....
½ October 21, 2012
Wow this was the WORST movie ever lol! The acting was atrocious... Especially that deputy.
I love ghost movies but this one was just laughable.
I wish I could rate it MINUS 10 lol.
May 18, 2011
She sees dead people... the lead is just awful, unscary. SHaig, LEasterbrook, & BMoseley dont help by playing "normal" people either. At Hulu.
May 15, 2011
"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" I *really* mean, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!" It was worth the price I paid!!!
December 27, 2010
This movie was so corny all it lacked was butter. It was lame from start to finish. B rated chump flick which would be C rated if there was such a thing. Avoid it like the plague.
November 25, 2010
Somebody in a suit said, "Hey, lets take the principal main cast from Rob Zombie's latest hit film, make their characters good and make the villain of the film as little of a threat as possible. For the lead we can get a girl that constantly looks like she has been crying and now market this unscary mess of a film to Liftetime-Television for Women because that's the target audience."
½ November 5, 2010
Poor story line, so predictable! And some parts are so unnecessary you just wonder why bother. It's not scary! But the only good thing is Sid Haig is not a clown in this movie and actually a good man!
July 10, 2009
..,aAhHm,hNxTlY i liKed dA mVie,
..,bUt iT xCrExX mE,..:]
February 7, 2009
interesting concept... very familiar
½ December 13, 2008
This movie was a disappointment, I was draw in by the cast. However the ones you come to see are completed wasted here. The movie seemed to have areas of competence, but it is vastly overshadowed by the piss poor script that clearly needed editing and revision. You can check it out, but just ignore the familiar names they bring nothing to the table.
½ December 6, 2008
i like the movie but the big secret i figured out about 41 minutes in and i was just listening to the movie wile on the net lol and her reaction was pure crap if i was her adoptive parent i woulda unadopted her right then and there lol good movie over all
November 23, 2008
Better than average ghost story. Decent acting and some scary moments make it worth watching. A good script and interesting camera work also help keep everything moving along.
November 12, 2008
It was revitting,exciting,and was where they got characters from devil's rejects. I think....lol
July 22, 2008
If you want to see Sid Haig, Leslie Easterbrook and Bill Moseley in a movie, Watch "The Devils Rejects" and not this piece of crap. The story is terrible and very predictable. The acting is just God awful, Including the three I mentioned earlier. An avoid at all costs.
July 11, 2008
Thought this would be better since part of the cast is comprised of the same cast as "the devils rejects" very predictable B horror movie. Don't waste your time.
June 22, 2008
Should have know better than to watch this when I saw the words "directed by Michael Feifer" on the DVD, but I couldn't resist a Devil's Rejects reunion... Silly me.
½ May 13, 2008
I have to say, for a Lionsgate direct-to-video, this film was pretty good.