Dead Ringer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Ringer Reviews

July 13, 2012
Poor Edith takes revenge on rich twin sister Margaret for stealing the man she once loved. After killing her sister, Edith takes on the unexpectedly dificult task of assuming her sister's identity. This is the kind of entertaining thriller that would seem silly in the wrong hands, but is emmensely worthwhile with Bette Davis playing a dual role. Karl Malden is dependably solid as a policeman who loved Edith, while Peter Lawford is amusing in a smaller role as a devious playboy.
½ July 11, 2012
Bette Davis does it once again!!!
½ March 12, 2012
Well-made thriller weighed down only by the annoying, harpsicord-dominated score. Excellent Cast and Bette Davis, always playing herself, did superbly
½ March 10, 2012
Columbo - Columbo + Bette x 2 = Dead Ringer
December 3, 2011
Not a great movie compared to her true classics like All About Eve, Now Voyager , Jezabel, Watch On The Rhine, Dark Victory etc but if one Bette can always make a movie at least watchable, 2 Bettes, one good & the other bad (& better) has to be an essential must-see
October 29, 2011
Not my favourite Bette Davis movie but solid watch none the less. A good story.
September 24, 2011
You do not want to mess with Bette Davis, especially if you're...Bette Davis! What a messed up, twisty, and downright nasty little movie! Beware though, this film is in Black & White, but don't be movie racist, check it out!
½ August 31, 2011
Bette Davis plays her own twin in this one! This is an excellent one and keeps you interested.
½ July 9, 2011
What more can I say but two Bettes are better than one!
March 7, 2011
Watching Bette Davis undress a corpse is the perverse highlight of this twisty movie about awful twins (both played with little difference by Davis). Malden staggers around totally missing the love lorn puppy cop. If this movie had been told from his character's perspective, then this could have been a giant of detective noir. As it plays out, though, the picture seems to miss a lot of cues and totally loses momentum when the GOLF PRO (!) slimes his way into the story. I would have liked to know more about Estelle Winwood's creepy hanger on...
½ February 28, 2011
Unfortunately, the music meister overdoes the harpsichord. Fortunately, Bette Davis overdoes playing Bette Davis. Her ultra-stagey shenannigans contrast nicely with Karl Malden's casual cop. PS The plot seems to take forever to unravel, but it's not a bit dissatisfying when it finally does.
December 7, 2010
Bette Davis plays dueling twin sisters; one rich, one poor. One commits murder and pretends to be the other. Take a wild guess. Pure fun. I finally own a copy!!!
December 4, 2010
This is a cool thriller, Davis plays twins, and the rest of the cast is good too. I really liked this movie, it's thrilling.
November 27, 2010
A Double Dose Of BETTE DAVIS !!!
November 27, 2010
Bette Davis did it again, maybe to a lesser extent in comparison to Baby Jane and Sweet Charlotte, but still Dead Ringer is a highly entertaining Bette Davis thriller her fans(like me) should not miss.
½ October 4, 2010
Maybe not Bette's best performance, but definitely one of her campiest. Way better than Cronenberg's remake...
July 14, 2010
Not the B-movie Bette Davis scene-chewing fest I expected it to be (judging from the cover). Davis gives a remarkably restrained, straightforward performance as a pair of estranged twin sisters who are not as different as they think they are. Yet another strong performance from Karl Malden and Peter Lawford is quite effective as the despicable, blackmailing man of leisure Tony Collins.
April 22, 2010
Pretty Cool Movie as Betty Davis Plays Twin Parts, This is a twist ending suspense film that most will be able to guess 1/2 way through it. 2 sisters one rich one poor and they are twins, so the poor one kills the rich one and takes her place. Very suspenseful with what happens all through the movie. I have been creeped out by Betty Davis ever since I was a kid and still am, but in this role she is worth 4 stars