Dead Souls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Souls Reviews

September 23, 2016
This film's plot is such a mishmash of ideas and action that it becomes entertaining because you sure can't figure what comes next, and are wondering when a kitchen sink is going to dislodge itself, go flying through the window, circle the house twice before smashing into and destroying the barn, possibly picking up zombie Rin-Tin-Tin (or Rinty, as we knew him in my youth) along the way. This film feels like they asked a writing team to fill out two five by five cards with an idea and then made them all fit in a script. The great puzzler is the"Fifth" which is not a person, but a nail. Sorry, I can't figure how you get to five. Plus, a final fifth flies in the face of centuries of Christian tradition of "The spear" which at least ranks just behind the Holy Grail. Too bad the hero's protective older brother didn't inhabit his new girlfriend's body while she was still living, since death of the host wasn't required in two cases.
½ August 27, 2016
Dead Souls is every adopted childs biggest fantasy and worst nightmare roled into one. On his 18th birthday, Johnny Petrie (Jesse James) finds out that he's adopted and there is an inheritance waiting for him. Despite being told not to go back to his home town, Johnny does any way, and learns another secret about his past, one that will put a target on his back. Dead Souls is another film produced for the little known NBC owned cable horror network, Chiller. Because these films are made for TV, they have to be somewhat toned down, something that is always going to hinder a good horror film. For this reason, Chiller films usually come down to two things; the cast and realism. The filmmakers can't use the gore and violence associated with most modern horror films, so it comes right down to how believable or frighting is the story? That brings us to Dead Souls, which has a fairly creepy backstory, that starts out believable, but really stretches near the end. What is enjoyable about this film is that instead of focusing on what it can't do, it works extra hard to be the best at what it can do, meaning get ready to jump, scream, and be on the edge of that seat. As for the cast, Jesse James makes it happen, and no I don't mean that Jesse James. I am referring to the blond haired, blue eyed, twenty-eight year old, who started his career in horror at the age of 9, and like a fine wine, he has only gotten better with age. James has been in some huge Horror films, worked with all the big names, and he was more than over due to star in his own film. Even when this movie starts to fall apart towards the end, Jesse James and his unique style of the cute country boy with the fire inside, is what keeps you watching all the way through to the end. Dead Souls isn't a great film, but it's not a bad one either, and when you compare it to some of the other originals Chiller has put out there, it's a big step in the right direction.
March 5, 2015
Rarely have I seen a movie as poorly written as this.
½ February 15, 2015
Liked it, good storyline but I didn't like the ending. It was too abrupt for my taste
November 3, 2014
The story had potential but its poor execution and bad casting made its failure inevitable.
November 2, 2014
A great story murdered by bad performances and slow sequences of events. The cinematography was beautiful and the plot was very intriguing but all throughout the thrill and suspense is knocked over by the dullness and slow acting. Definitely could've been much better if done by the right director.
½ October 11, 2014
A rather cliche plot, less than stellar performances, and a lack of scares make Dead Souls a lame haunted house movie that will only serve to pass the time when nothing better is available.
August 10, 2014
typical and quite boring
½ May 11, 2014
If you can't fall asleep pop this baby on and you'll be under in 10 minutes.
March 23, 2014
The story wasn't that well thought over. Utterly failed ending.
January 24, 2014
The first half was pretty good
October 21, 2013
As a made for TV film, this ain't bad. Better than most mainstream horror in recent years.
Nothing new, just feels better than the usual Paranormal Craptivity that comes along every month on dvd shelves.
½ September 19, 2013
Bad acting
Bad script
Bad directing
September 7, 2013
More disturbing than scary. Not a fan.
½ August 26, 2013
Una película de terror de factoría,
Historia de un huérfano que a los 18 años descubre que es Adoptado y que su padre
mató a toda su familia.

De ahí en adelante decide quedarse en la casa de su familia que acaba de Heredar y
una serie de eventos super naturales empiezan a ocurrir llevándolo a conocer el negro pasado de su familia
½ August 5, 2013
not bad for a low budget movie
July 23, 2013
I don't understand how they can keep making horrible movies like this. It should be illegal.
July 19, 2013
H O R R O R M O V I E

It has nothing special, but it do created horror for the first time for soo long.
July 16, 2013
Nice scary ghost movie, with good ideas but let down a little by the ending
July 15, 2013
If you love horror and suspense then check this film out!!!