Dead Space Reviews

• Jan 21, 2014

On paper, a film in which Bryan Cranston plays a scientist battling a slimy creature of his own creation should be schlocky gold... and yet it isn't. At all. The movie is crippled beyond recovery by its $1.98 budget that asks us to believe that the (barely) redressed conference rooms, service hallways, industrial warehouses, and accounting offices on display are actually supposed to comprise some kind of ultra-cool, futuristic research facility. Couple the nonexistent production design with horrendous cinematography (the sets seem to have been lit either by harsh fluorescent floodlights or no lights at all, often within the same scene) and you've got a movie that looks just plain awful. That said, Cranston is legitimately good, as is - shockingly - Marc Singer as the constantly irritated, wise-cracking fixer called in to deal with the monster situation. All told, however, this is not "so bad, it's good," it's "so bad, it's bad."

• Jun 19, 2013

Dead Space is yet another Alien ripoff from Roger Corman, but this time he seems to be ripping off his own ripoff: Forbidden World (at least that's how it comes off to me). The movie itself is a bit of a dud with a few splashes of interest throughout. Marc Singer doesn't do much to improve things. He's just sort of there, and while he tries to have a commanding presence, he sort of fails. There's some nice gore shots for those who are interested, but the framework surrounding them is mostly boring. I would recommend it mainly to fans of bad movies and Roger Corman productions, but otherwise, most won't get anything out of it.

• Francisco G Super Reviewer
    Nov 20, 2012

Another Corman Alien rip off (I lost count on how many Alien rip offs this guy has made) that is as boring as it looks. Just worth it for the complete godawful love couple, Bryan Cranston looking grave around the super horrible looking alien design and some hilarious puppet fights. Even the gore is boring on this one! Just steady shots of corpses laying around.

• Sep 17, 2012

Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

• Aug 25, 2011

More Corman wackiness, this time starring the Beastmaster himself, Marc Singer. Basically another Alien rip-off, it's still an enjoyable watch for the forgiving among you who don't mind a nice bit of cheese. Rental?

• Apr 18, 2011

Downgraded remake of a movie that was only so-so to begin with.

Downgraded remake of a movie that was only so-so to begin with.

• Jan 11, 2011

I never thought I'd see a movie so cheapjack and awful that I'd feel embarrassed for Marc Singer just for being in it.

• Jan 05, 2011

If you can get your hands on "Forbidden World," there just isn't much of a reason to watch this. This movie is murky, monotonous, boring and inert, although with a passable monster suit. The monster suit, I assure you, is not enough to make this an enjoyable watch.

• Nov 26, 2010

A rip-off of a rip-off of a rip-off...wait, what? Oh...Dead Space. Dead Space is a rip-off of Forbidden World (leave it to Roger Corman to rip-off his own film), which is a rip-off of Alien, which is a rip off of It! The Terror from Beyond Space. Dead Space is, in a word, bad. Now, Forbidden World had something for everyone: Loads of gore, nudity, an awesome score, great make-up FX, and more. Dead Space takes away almost all these things. The monster wasn't that impressive, there was only 6 sec. of nudity, gore was on the D.L., the score wasn't great, and other sloppy messes throughout this movie.

• Nov 25, 2010

In the coldness of space... even Hell freezes over - "Dead Space" Tagline Why is that bad movies always have the best taglines? Look at it. Isn't it thing of beauty? Sadly "Dead Space" actually lives more up to its title as one really has to have 'dead space' between their ears to love this remake. What? Did I just type the word 'remake'? "Dead Space" is a remake? No way! Yes "Dead Space" (also released in Europe as "Biohazard") is a 1990 remake of the 1982 film "Forbidden World." Out of all the films you could think of that would warrant a remake, I guarantee "Forbidden World" was not one of the films thought of. The DVD box artwork claims this is a "loose remake." Loose? Bullshit! This film is so much like "Forbidden World" that they might as well ripped off the title page of the script to "Forbidden World" and replaced it with a title page that read "Dead Space." That's how close these two films are! Don't believe me? Watch them back-to-back and they are almost the exact same film, just this one is shittier. Since they are so much alike get ready for numerous comparisons to "that other film." Like "Forbidden World", our "Alien" rip-off plot has a space mercenary (Marc Singer) and his robot sidekick respond to a distress call from a scientific research station. After blowing up some spaceships of some unknown enemy (utilizing stock footage from "Battle Beyond the Stars", just like "that other film"...hmmmm) he arrives and discovers that the team has had a biological creation bust loose and has started killing off the crew one by one and it's up to him to destroy it. Since the plot is the same as "that other film", the filmmakers wisely decided to give this film a different look. "Forbidden World" had warm colors with lots of reds and oranges. "Dead Space " has the opposite with cool and sterile colors, meaning lots of white, black and blues. I'll commend them on that as at least they attempted there to distance this picture from "that other film" in that respect. The scientists here also look and act more like real scientists whereas in "that other film" the scientists were goofballs or sluts. The best part of this remake though is Marc fucking Singer as he really seems like a space mercenary unlike that toad of a guy from "that other film." Other than those aspects "Dead Space" fails miserably on all other accounts making this a worse picture than "that other film." First of all the directing is boring. Director Allan Holzman had a little more pizzazz and gave "Forbidden World" a cool 80's new wave look. Fred Gallo gives "Dead Space" a unflattering "direct-to-video" look. The special effects are much worse and less creative than its counterpart and our creature is reduced to a badly made stiff puppet by the end. Third is the sets and like the special effects, they are boring and cheap looking unlike the inspired sets of "that other film" (which were of course leftovers from "Galaxy of Terror." The score? What score? "That other film" had a cool retro 80's scoundtrack and I can't even remember the stock score for this picture. Though we get a topless scene, fans of the gratuitous nudity in "that other film" are going to be sorely disappointed. After all that we have a lame, pointless remake of a trashy enjoyable classic. Marc Singer may be a better choice for a space mercenary but his presence isn't enough for this remake to rise to the occasion. I recommend skipping it unless you're a curious movie lover like me who wanted to see how Roger Corman could fuck up a remake of an older classic of his. Released on DVD in a double feature with "The Terror Within."