Deadland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deadland Reviews

½ August 8, 2012
Attention to detail...
However, I have seen worse. Tee was the only character I felt who's... Well, a character.
January 13, 2012
It was different to what I thought. It was ok to watch.
½ October 6, 2011
I'll be honest, I only watched it because Brian Tee starred in and produced this. He was actually quite funny. I've seen him do juvenile comedy on Zoey 101, but I've never really seen him do adult comedy outside of a five-second cameo on Austin Powers. It seemed very natural for him and was kind of fun to watch. The film is predictable but I admire what Tee and Chad Matthews, who plays the film's main character, were able to accomplish and recommend every Brian Tee fan watch this film if for nothing else, then to prove you're a fan and just to say you've seen the film.
½ September 5, 2011
Wasn't too bad, hollow characters, thought the dialogue was weak, story is cool. Good time waster
August 18, 2011
It was different to what I thought. It was ok to watch.
½ August 6, 2011
terrible - managed to get through the first five minutes and then skipped through the rest because it had nothing going for it. acting wasn't par and the scripting wasn't helpful either. I wouldn't bother hiring it out or downloading
April 7, 2011
5 Years after World War III America is divided into 13 Provinces ruled by Martial Law. The populace in the few remaining habital areas are forced into slave labor camps, the outlying areas are patrolled by the P.O.'s who are given free reign so long as the goods the Provinces produce continue to flow to Haven from which they get the only treatment to the deadly P19 Virus that ravages the population....none of which bothers are protagonist Sean Kalos who's spent the last 5 years looking for his wife....awww isn't that precious.

Or I guess he's been looking, cause for a guy who's suppossedly been wandering the Nuclear ravaged ruins of a country under martial law whilst manage to keep a lethal virus from killing him he's got all the survival instincts of a retarded chimpanzee (minor quibble he looks remarkable clean for a man suppossedly spending the majority of his time in the woodlands). See this movie has quit a bit going for it, some good cineamatography, some good music, acting that ranges from deceint to good (I was particularly found of Brian Tee's character Jax, Chad Mathew as P.O. Harris, Emily-Grace Muarry as Sean's wife and Philip Boyd as P.O. Anderson could have made a good villian if given more to do), and their are a couple of scenes executed perfectly, and yet the movies nothing more then passable. The problem in my humble opinion is well we follow Sean Kalos' story its not very interesting (Harrison Paige's Red and his resistance to the Provincial Authorities, Harris' dissillusionment with his commanders, the promise of a cure, rumors of a coming messiah or Jax surving in the wilderness all hold the potential to be a shitload more interesting then the story the movie focus' on). See will everyone keeps gabbing on about how heroic Sean is (prolly because the film's writer Gary Weeks plays him) we don't really see him do anything heroic, unless you count having his ass pulled out of the fire by 3 or 4 different characters being heroic, (but but but he's looking for his wife, he loves her and hasn't given up hope that inspires Harris...yeah...what Harris should've said was that Sean was a stubborn not exactly the same thing as heroic). Also well are hero seems offended by Jax's "I'm doing whats best for me" philosphy he doesn't actually do a whole lot to differentiate himself (actually he comes off as a bit of an entitled twat expecting everyone to drop what their doing so he can find his wife who may or may not be alive) as during the course of his search he allows an innocent woman to get shot on his behalf and another to be arrested and mutalated...then when he finds what may be key information regarding a cure for the virus slowely killing the population he's still like "fuck the cure I want to find my wife". Which brings us to yet another problem with are protagonist. He's got a head full of bricks (or he's just so horny after 5 years he can't think). See most people would view this information on a cure, even if they thought fuck the world I wanna find my wife, in addition to benefitting oneself and one lady love, is also one hell of a barganing chip that would also make the finding and retrieving of said lady love a fuckload easier....as such most people would prolly be a tad more curious about this cure but not our Sean. Sean stumbles from one acting of idoicy to another especially at the end, where he rescues (or rather Harris rescues, Sean does fuck all) his wife. Here's a pro tip free of charge, when one is rescuing their signifigant other from brutal slavers operating with impunity for the love of God wait to have your reunion with the gazing into each others eyes, wrapping your arms around each other and smooching, wait until you are at the very least out of sight of the front gate of the slavers compound, just saying.

End rant...just skip this one k.
½ March 21, 2011
It is the end of the world and the hero tries to find and rescue his wife from a camp. It's a little low budget and wasn't as good as a lot of others like this I've seen. (Watch Jeremiah, same plot, but it's much better).
½ March 20, 2011
It was not good at all. Do not waste your time with this movie.
March 18, 2011
Strike 2. HORRRRRRRRible!
½ March 8, 2011
Absolutely a bad flick. Post nuclear America with very little damage and acting that is on par for middle school talent.
February 28, 2011
This movie looked and sounded really cool, unfortunately such is the case with many movies it just lied to me. What ticks me off is that it is not too bad it just doesn't deliver at the end. The whole movie is building to this moment where the underground rises and fights the oppressors. Then all of a sudden the partner betrays the main character and I guess is killed and then some women are set free, and there is a mutiny which pretty much is bang... bang... end of movie. So no uprising, no badass killing machine, no cool fights. There is no climax to this movie. It builds and builds pretty effectively and then... nothing. It just ends. The cover of this movie shows a badass in a post apocalyptic setting with a double barrel shotty and some other dudes with guns in the background. The synopsis says that there will be lots of him killing slave traders and mercenaries. Yet all he does is get his ass kicked, run away, hide, get captured, and never even so much as hurt anyone other than throwing a dude to the ground. All this movie needed to do to please me is have a climax where there is actual tension, and actual conflict. Not just a bunch of nothing. This movie is crap don't watch it.
½ January 23, 2011
Mitäänsanomaton tekele.
½ January 18, 2011
So, on the cover of this movie when I rented it was a picture of a man holding a gun wearing a black leather jacket. The movie blurbs on the back talk about a man who has to battle his way through a post apocalyptic world to save his wife. It sounded ok to me, but then it started.
First off throughout the entire movie he never once holds a gun or wears a leather jacket, I actually think he might have been wearing different boots too! He never fights, actually refuses to kill and does nothing but whine throughout the movie until someone else saves his wife for him!
Also, the movie is called Deadland, they mention the 'dead lands' at the beginning and tell us how dangerous it is in the dead land, but at no point in this movie do they EVER go to the dead land! I actually think I should sue the makers of this movie for false advertisement!
½ December 13, 2010
Deadland, though creative, has fatal flaws in its pacing and acting.
½ December 8, 2010
Suprisingly good low budget sci-fi thriller with post-apocalyptic theme. Couple of very good characters.
December 8, 2010
Heck ya I likie this movie!
½ December 5, 2010
Surprisingly intriguing indie flick. Many great ideas meet many unmet an unmet potential, but in the end, it's a gripping little movie worth watching
October 30, 2009
Deadland is proof that you don't need a big budget in order to tell a compelling post-apocalyptic tale. Sure, special effects may help depict the terror that will undo the world, but if it's a post-apocalyptic tale you're telling, the emphasis should be about what happens after the destruction. And this movie does so very well.

Don't be fooled by its shoe-string budget or cast of unknown actors. The movie is full to the brim with great action, suspense and drama. The story of a man in search for his long-lost wife after the seeming decimation of society is a classic tale of overcoming adversity.

This determined man must cross not only a desolate and unforgiving terrain; but also the encounter the vicious people that a shell-shocked world has produced. No zombies in this movie--although an allusion or two is made through the mysterious virus--the threat is more of, well, threat than it actually is a manifestation on film. The danger or humans becoming animals is always in the back of everyone's mind and a quest to find a cure must also be completed.

The lack of visual trickery makes this film all the more satisfying. It is a gritty, and thus more realistic portrayal of events. After all, when the world ends, there won't be high-tech bedazzlement and computer gadgetry to help us fend off the end times--there would just be people trying to survive and this is the very simple story of just that.

You'd be hard pressed to find this movie playing at any movie theater. It has been released only as far as the limited festival schedule it's on has permitted. But if you ever come across it in the video store or elsewhere, it's definitely worth giving it a try.

P.S. This movie is not, in any way, related to Zombieland. Just throught I'd clear that up.
½ September 26, 2009
Third night of the San Diego Film Festival and this was by far one of the WORST movies I have ever seen in my life! We made better movies in my high school film class. There were people walking out of the theater on this one. People sleeping (okay, that was me). Absolutely HORRIBLE acting and cinematography. They could only keep the immediate subject in focus. They would pan from one person to the next and only the one talking was in focus. So painful to sit through.