Reviews

• Nov 09, 2013

As seen at Leeds Film Festival 2013. Kindest to describe this as a curiosity, a German spaghetti western from the early seventies that is trying for 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' and probably would be trying for 'Reservoir Dogs' too had it been invented, but fails on both counts not being directed by Sergio Leone nor scripted by Quents. The principal characters are The Kid, Sunshine and Charles Dump (sic). Somewhere in here a potentially gripping film peeks out at the audience, sadly undercut by lacklustre direction, a woeful script and disposable characters. Pretty much everyone dies by the end but I doubt many of the audience will miss them. For artistic content I can only score this a 2, but it will linger long in my memory. Whether I want it in there or not.

• Jan 26, 2011

This is Hell of a Western The Died West A Bizzare & Bounding Thriller Less Words but Much Atompsphere & Powerful Visual Language Burned Out Characters who mistrust each other vegatate in the Middle of the Nowhere it seems like a Post-Apocalyptic Movie a Long-Forgotten Place where all Life is vanished there is a lot of Sexual Energy & Frustration and Died 60's Culture The Soundtrack is so hillarious psychedelic

• Oct 01, 2010

Auf der dvd von deadlock ist ein Zitat von Jodorowsky abgedruckt: "Deadlock ist phantastisch. Ein bizarrer, glühender Film." Dem kann ich wirklich nicht widersprechen. Allein die Tatsache, dass ein Zitat von Jodorowsky auf dem Cover ist sollte deutlich machen, dass Deadlock kein Film für die breite Masse ist, Genrenfans aber durchaus Spaß bereiten kann. Deadlock ist ein faszinierender, gut gespielter und sehr amtosphärischer moderner Western mit vielen genialen Szenen die mich echt gepackt haben. Von mir bekommt dieser Film definitiv eine Empfehlung. 3,5/5

• Aug 21, 2010

A gritty western which clearly was influenced by The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The film starts off as we we are introduced to 'The Kid', a young man, whom hobbles through the barren desert wounded, with a large briefcase full of money. He collapses from exhaustion but is later found by 'Mr. Dump', who takes 'The Kid' back to his home. At first Dump's intentions involve killing The Kid and taking the money but he ends up nursing The Kid back to health, only to be warned at another man, 'Mr. Sunshine', is also looking for the money. This film is very claustrophobic. The setting only helps to create this sense of dread, desperation and grit. Taking place solely in the barren desert and in an abandoned mining town, Robert Klick uses his locations perfectly to tell this story. The uses of setting reminds me quite a bit of what Antonioni did with Red Desert. The compositions and cinematography are great and there really is a lot of experimental techniques throughout the film. Also, the progressive soundtrack by The Can, only helps everything. The ending is fantastic and very poetic, though I do think the film ran a little long.

• Oct 24, 2008

Amazing unknown little gem of a film. IT won't be easy to find though.

Amazing unknown little gem of a film. IT won't be easy to find though.

• Sep 02, 2008

Un western allemand tres mystique, avec la superbe musique psychedelique de Can.