Deadwood: The Movie Reviews

• 6d ago

Finally the series gets the ending it deserves. Faithfully to the shows original framework which all of the main characters given a suitable chance to shine!

• Mar 11, 2020

Welcome the fuck back, cocksuckers. Best ending you probably could hope for and it fits pretty well with the time frame

• Feb 19, 2020

Finally a great ending to such an excellent series!

Finally a great ending to such an excellent series!

• Feb 10, 2020

Like slipping into an old pair of shoes; a little dogged, but completely comfortable. Having this on in the background shot me back to simpler times; enjoying the mud-street poetry and slavish devotion to honouring the TV series' tone and look. Deadwood: The Movie is a hard film to review; seemingly a feature-length finale more than a standalone movie, but it is a fitting end, beautiful, bawdy, sure-footed and honeyed in dialogue. As a movie, nothing much happens and it's glorious. As a coda, it's a warm bath.

• Jan 27, 2020

As you might expect, if you haven't seen the TV series, ‘Deadwood: The Movie' probably won't hold much appeal and might even be a bit confusing; however, if you were a fan, then it's a more than welcome return to the iconic town and characters. Even though it was never going to feel like there was enough time to tie up all loose ends -- indeed, there may still be some things that don't quite satisfy as much as you'd hoped – thanks to the return of the main cast and a storyline that continues where the series left off, it still remains a nostalgic experience that should mostly please.

• Jan 19, 2020

A predictable yawn. Not much thought went into this. Mostly, it's a gleaning of plot points from the series and an effort to weave them together into something like a narrative. The characters are interesting to see once again; but the bloom is off the rose, and this was probably not a great idea.

• Jan 16, 2020

Deadwood is quite simply one of the greatest TV shows ever created. Murder and death never sounded so good nor looked so magnificent. The wild and crazy years of the Dakota territories before coming a state were laced with unforgettable characters and sublime dialogue. It sadly ended before its time, but we now have a feature length film to ease the pains. This film takes place ten years later as statehood is being celebrated for South Dakota. All the characters are back, except for a couple as the actors died. The story line is there, George Hearst is back and trying to buy property to extend his business interests, but this film about the characters. They are so beautifully written and performed. It's poetry with gunfights. A glorious sight indeed. By the finish I was satiated but also feel the story has come to a satisfying end.

• Jan 09, 2020

Waited 13 years for this and man o man was it worth it!

Waited 13 years for this and man o man was it worth it!

• Dec 27, 2019

I think that as stand-alone, I wouldn't like it too much, but I would never know as I am a fan of the series. As a closure and farewell to beloved (and almost forgot) characters, I have to admit that is a satisfying one. My only warning: a bit complicate to understand if English, like my case, is not your first language.

• Dec 19, 2019

Interesting. Brings a good experience for lovers of the original series. However, due to the necessarily complementary plot of the series, it may become a bit confusing for those unfamiliar with the tv show.